Profile for J. Hardy > Reviews

Content by J. Hardy

J. Hardy (Rothbury,Northumberland)

Page: 1 | 2
SanDisk SDSDX-008G-X46 8 GB Extreme 45 MB/s Class 10 SDHC Memory Card (Packaging Varies)
Price: 9.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandisk 8GB Extreme Video SDHC Card Class 6, 8 July 2011
There are less expensive SDHC cards on the market but my experience with Sandisk Extreme cards in the past has been very positive.
I have just bought a bridge camera which has the capability of filming HD video.It was suggested that a class 6 card (minimum) was required.
In practise I have found this card to be ideal and I can highly recommend it.

Paddle Steamers
Paddle Steamers
by Bernard Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Paddle Steamers ,Bernard Cox, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Paddle Steamers (Hardcover)
An excellent insight into the romantic history of the paddle steamer,This book, whilst an ex library copy was delivered in very good condition and retailed at a silly cheap price. As a model maker I will find this book invaluable.

Epson Perfection V330 LED Photo Scanner (4800dpi)
Epson Perfection V330 LED Photo Scanner (4800dpi)

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson Perfection V33O, 6 Mar 2011
My old scanner died quietly in the night after several years of faithful service. I worked one day but not the next.
A scanner is not the sort of thing that most people use every day but given the job of winding up someone's estate with all of the communication with solicitors and officialdom generally and it becomes an essential tool.My old scanner did stirling service in this respect when my In-Laws passed away.
I did a fair bit of research on the internet and being an Epson fan I decided to buy the V330. My reasoning being that if the scanner was anywhere near as good as my Epson printer it would do.
I could have bought a flat bed scanner for less money but the V330 has the facility to scan both negative and positive film.
I must confess that I was skeptical about a flat bed scanner's ability to carry out what is really quite a specialist task.
I was wrong. The V330 has scanned over 200 35mm slides to date and I have made perfectly acceptable A4 sized prints from several of them.
Even if I never shoot another slide film the the extra cost will be well worth it because some of my transparancies are deteriorating and they can be restored to an extent ,especially using third party software like Photoshop.
Scanning photographs and text documents is a breeze.I recently scanned a document required by my bank.From pressing the scan button to taking the copy from the printer took about three minutes The copy was almost indistinguishable from the original.
The V330 is a superb piece of kit with multi functions and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

First 100 Words (Bright Baby First 100)
First 100 Words (Bright Baby First 100)
by Roger Priddy
Edition: Board book
Price: 2.40

5.0 out of 5 stars first 100 words, 17 Dec 2010
A delightful ,colourfull book for any bright baby . Masses of pictures. A book which will become a firm favourite.
Highly recommended

Daewoo KOR8A0R Touch Control Solo Microwave Oven, 800 Watt, 23 Litre - Black
Daewoo KOR8A0R Touch Control Solo Microwave Oven, 800 Watt, 23 Litre - Black
Offered by SENDERCITY
Price: 64.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Daewoo KOR8AOR Microwave Oven, 9 Oct 2010
The Daewoo Microwave was delivered very quickly and was easy to set up.
The black finish is very smart and the oven is extremely easy to use.
It is very quiet whilst operating and as we use a microwave oven daily.often to prepare our evening meal, we can only hope that it proves to be reliable.
We would have liked to have been able to program the oven but at the price we have no complaints.
Highly recommended

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Yuasa NP10-6 ,10Ah 6v Sealed Lead Acid Battery, 9 Oct 2010
The Yuasa battery was bought to replace a similar battery which I have used to power various radio controlled model boats.Not only does this battery provide reliable power it is heavy enough to provide useful ballast for my current model of an early Thames paddle tug.
The price was right and it was delivered very quickly.

Panasonic Camcorder Case for HC-V500/HC-V520/HC-V100/HC-V210/SHDC-HS20/HS60/HS700/SD60/SD600/SDR-H85/SDR-S26/SDR-S45/SDR-S50/SDR-T50/TM55/TM60/TM700/SDR-H80/H90
Offered by fusion9online
Price: 29.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Camcorder case, 16 Aug 2010
This case is very well made but very badly designed.
The fold over top cover is simply held by velcro and leaves gaps at either side which means that there is very little protection from rain.
I bought this case to house my Panasonic SDR26 and as such it is totally inadequate.
I lie. It is at least suitable to store my power adapter and USB lead which are unlikely to be exposed to the weather.
I am surprised that Panasonic allow their name to be associated with this useless item
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2013 12:07 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Onn AO158ID 15"LCD TV, 1 July 2010
I must be honest.I have not owned this little TV long enough to give it an in depth review.However I hope that my first impressions may be of some interest.
I bought this set for use in our motor caravan where size is important when it comes to storage.In this respect the ONN scores very highly.
The default picture quality is very good and there is scope to alter colour,contrast and colour temperature etc,.
The tuning is fully automatic and it is simply a question of following the on screen menus to set it up.
A couple of negative points however.All adjustments must be made using the remote control so it is essential to look after it.
The screen is rather directional ie. brightness falls off unless you are viewing from directly in line with the set.Also the sound quality is less than Hi-Fi.
When you consider the cost however this wee TV Is good value for money and after all I don't go away in the van to watch TV.
Providing that it proves to reliable it will be very useful when the nights start to draw in.

SanDisk SDSDX-004G-X46 4 GB Extreme 20 MB/s Class 10 HD Video SDHC Memory Card
SanDisk SDSDX-004G-X46 4 GB Extreme 20 MB/s Class 10 HD Video SDHC Memory Card
Offered by Express Box Limited
Price: 13.38

5.0 out of 5 stars SanDisc Extreme III SDHC 4GB Card, 7 Mar 2010
What can I say about this card except that that it works very well.It stores an enormous number of images and works well with my Canon EOS 500D when shooting HD movies.Highly recomended

Canon EOS 500D Digital SLR Camera (incl. EF-S 18-55 mm IS Lens Kit)
Canon EOS 500D Digital SLR Camera (incl. EF-S 18-55 mm IS Lens Kit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon 500D and kit lenses, 7 Mar 2010
I am a retired professional photographer.
Despite the fact that I made my living with a camera I am still able to enjoy my photography.
The arrival of two new Grandchildren prompted me to update my photographic equipment and whilst I am not badly off in all honesty I didn't feel that I could justify the expense of professional cameras.
I have other interests and we have to eat.
I did a lot of reading and decided to invest in a Canon 500D together with 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses .A 430 EX Speed light completed the outfit.This flash is a super bit of kit.
By the time I had bought a spare battery,memory cards,filters and lens hoods etc., the "entry level" outfit cost wasn't far short of a thousand pounds.
Let me say at the outset that I don't begrudge a penny spent because I am pleased with my new gear.
The camera is intuitive in use,especially if you have had experience with earlier EOS models and the menus are clear and easy to read aided by the large bright LCD screen.
I am impressed by the two lenses.I sometimes wonder whether some of the so called professional reviewers ever abandon their MTF charts and get out into the real world with their cameras.Despite criticism from certain sources I found the resolution of these two lenses to be excellent.
Like many people I am unlikely to print anything larger at A4 but I can assure you that the combination of the 500d body and either of these two lenses is capable of producing much larger quality prints.
I try to ensure that my images are as perfect as possible "in camera" ( the result of working with reversal film for years.) but the bundled software is user friendly and quite capable without being too sophisticated.
One of the big advantages of the 500D is its ability to take HD movies (I think) Only time will as far as I am concerned.The quality is not in doubt but the whole procedure is cumbersome to say the least.

I have one or two reservations however. I wonder why it was necessary to increase the sensor size to 15.1 MB. I have an EOS 300D(6MB) and equipped with reasonable glass the images it produces are not so very far behind those of 500D.
Whilst I am not suggesting that they fully match the quality of those taken with the 500D I have wondered whether the cost of the higher resolution camera was justifiable in my case.
Another slight moan.Canon have gone to great length to expand the ISO range of the 500D which is great when one has to be discreet and not use flash,but it is hard to be discreet when the shutter release is loud enough to wake the dead.The focusing "Beep" sound can be turned off.Why not the shutter release sound Mr.Canon.

Recommendations. It rather depends on what sort of camera you have at the moment. If you have an earlier Canon EOS it may be more sensible to invest in the best glass that you can afford.If however you are looking for your first DSLR the Canon 500D is worth considering.It is a SUPER package and I am delighted with mine.
I hope these ramblings may be of some help.
Comment Comments (21) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2011 8:58 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2