Profile for Mr. J. Birkett > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Birkett

Mr. J. Birkett "Birkett" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Confederation Trough
Confederation Trough

5.0 out of 5 stars An original style, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Confederation Trough (Audio CD)
The first thing to consider when buying this EP is who the artist is. I don'y believe The Tuss really is Brian Tregaskin. I am a believer in the theory that it is in fact another pseudonym created by Richard D. James (Aphex Twin). The obscure style (although it is slightly different in this EP), the Rephlex label (a recorded company co-founded by Richard) and the use of a Yamaha GX-1. Track 3 "GX1 Solo" uses a Yamaha GX1 which is a very rare instrument, only 13 are known to exist outside Japan, only a couple known to exist in the UK. And as this Album is from a UK musician and Richard D James is one of the few who possess such an instrument, I'd say it's safe to say it's Aphex Twin. Some of The Tuss tracks are credited to "James Richard David" on the BMI website, and as they deal with legal rights holders, I'd say again that it's safe to assume this is Aphex Twin.

Now that's over, the music on the EP is gorgeous, my favourite being GX1 Solo. The drums on the first two tracks are beautifully hectic and the tracks feature some gorgeous melodies. If you are a fan of Acid Electronic music then this is for you, but only for a big fan. If you are an Aphex Twin fan, this is definitely for you, for both the ace music and the mystery! Who knows, it might not be RDJ...but it probably is.

The CD comes packaged in a clear see through jewel case, no artwork. Just a small label on the front with a picture of some sheep on British hills, most likely in Devon or Cornwall. The label features the Rephlex logo and the track list and Catalogue number. A similar looking label is stuck onto the otherwise clear CD. The only other feature being the CAT number etched onto the inner side of the bottom of the disc.

RDJ presumably wants the fans to appreciate the music and not his brand image, good on him for keepin' it real if this is the case!

...I Care Because You Do [VINYL]
...I Care Because You Do [VINYL]
Price: 17.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic record!, 6 Sep 2013
I'm a big Aphex Twin fan and this album is one I have been eagerly awaiting to get on vinyl. I was delighted that the album was only 12, same as the Richard D. James album which had only one LP whereas this hosts 2!

The album features a range of songs cleverly using well crafted drum beats and some catchy rhythms with some ace samples thrown in. I'm a particular fan of Alberto Balsalm, a more ambient track that on vinyl sounds as good as i've ever heard it anywhere before. If you are an Aphex Twin fan you simply must have this in your collection while it's still cheap and available. The pressing itself is very good and the 180g vinyl that warp decided to use is a brilliant bonus as for me it plays better on my vinyl player (this may not apply to you of course).

A gorgeous album, happy customer I am C:

Simpsons Comics Madness
Simpsons Comics Madness
by Matt Groening
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit boring, 4 Sep 2013
It's an alright comic but nowhere near to the standard of the TV episodes. The colours and illustration are VERY high quality which is a shame because the "story boards" and jokes are a bit lame compared to those on the TV show.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 [VINYL]
Selected Ambient Works 85-92 [VINYL]
Price: 22.67

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant repress!, 4 Sep 2013
I couldn't believe my luck when I saw this on Amazon. The option to Pre-Order a brand new repress of Selected Ambient works 85-92! This is one of Aphex Twin's most acclaimed albums and it is a brilliant vinyl to collect while you have the chance. It is a MUST HAVE for any Aphex Twin fan. The songs feature a range of beautiful analogue/synth sounds that are both relaxing and at times exciting. The high quality standard of the tracks continues throughout, as some people disagree with when talking about Selected Ambient Works Volume 2. My personal favourites on this album include Xtal, Heliosphan and Green Calx. It is brilliant that this has been repressed and makes me ask, will Aphex Twin come out of his shell again soon and release more of his eagerly awaited albums? Some sources suggest he has 6-10 albums ready to release but this cannot be for sure. If you want to get more vinyls of his, be sure to get "Richard D. James" and "...I care because you do". Maybe even give Windowlicker and Come to daddy a try while they are on Amazon at a reasonable price!

If I had to criticise anything about the product I'd say that the packaging material is a LITTLE flimsy. However the original artwork makes up for it :)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2013 12:32 AM BST

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
by J.K. Rowling
Price: 4.47

4.0 out of 5 stars A really lovely edition to the Hogwarts library!, 6 Aug 2013
This is a very charming book written with sophisticated and beautifully crafted language. I would have given the book a five star rating but that begs the question as to whether it is better than the main Harry Potter books and for obvious reasons it isn't. However it is still up to the same standard of entertainment and a brilliant edition to the bookshelf of ANY Harry Potter fan. My true rating would have to be a 4.7/5 . Well done J.K Rowling!

Come To Daddy
Come To Daddy
Price: 8.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Come To Daddy (Audio CD)
Richard has done an ace job on this album, with creepy and sadistic synth sounds and humorous bits from time to time that make you giggle and really indulge yourself in the music.

Richard D. James Album [VINYL]
Richard D. James Album [VINYL]
Price: 18.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Crafted, 29 July 2013
I think this is one of Richard's best albums, it boasts a range of Ambient and Rhythmic sounds that are beautifully crafted. It is one of the better albums to listen to if you are new to Aphex Twin, you may even appreciate this album if you are more into classical music in that you would appreciate how nicely composed his melodies are. Owning this on Vinyl is a plus for me as it's the first LP of his i've bought and I simply love it :D

Richard D. James Album
Richard D. James Album
Price: 11.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Really well composed, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Richard D. James Album (Audio CD)
This is probably one of his greater albums. The songs are well varied and have catchy rhythms and melodies. All songs are well composed, the best being 4, Girl/Boy song, Fingerbib and Logon Rock Witch. It took me a while to get into this album, if you are new to Aphex Twin, listen to Selected Ambient works 85-92 first, get into his styles for a bit.

Hangable Auto Bulb
Hangable Auto Bulb
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this one, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Hangable Auto Bulb (Audio CD)
Hangable Auto Bulb features some brilliant tracks, RDJ really is a clever man. He uses homemade/modified analogue synths giving him a very unique sound pallet. Laughable Butane Bob is one of my all time favourites, Children talking and Every day use sound sampled from and old BBC project called "Children Talking" which I found to be very humorous and enjoyable to listen to. "Bit" is a strange track at just 6 seconds. It wouldn't surprise me if the sound waves can be made into an image through the use of software, Richard D James has been known to do such clever things. But I would definitely recommend you listen to this album, it's smashing!

Drukqs
Drukqs
Price: 12.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Drukqs (Audio CD)
RDJ has done it again, this is one of his best albums (In my opinion) with a good range of different analogue sounds and even some piano this time. From what I can tell, some of the tracks in the album are long unreleased tracks from his older live shows, I might be wrong but whether they are or not they are ace! We see a fantastic range of depth in this album, perhaps unlike selected ambient works vol.2. Although I do love that album I understand it's not up to everybody's taste and I can understand why. Drukqs is way ahead of its time and you should give it a listen!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3