Profile for The Slowest Bookworm > Reviews

Content by The Slowest Bo...

The Slowest Bookworm "Single mum to 7yr old boy just getting interested in books. I mainly read & listen to young adult books with the odd adult thrown in." (Stockport, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Breadmaker Bible
The Breadmaker Bible
by Karen Saunders

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Bread, 1 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Breadmaker Bible (Hardcover)
I just received this book yesterday and have already tried out a loaf. It came out perfect (it was just a basic one). I love the section at the front of the book which explains all about the different flours and ingredients that can be used - very helpful.
The photographs in the book are mouthwateringly tempting. It's a shame I can't make them all right now! I would definitely recommend this book to my friends (and actually already have!).

Russell Hobbs 18117 4 Slice Deluxe Toaster
Russell Hobbs 18117 4 Slice Deluxe Toaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Toasty!, 1 Sept. 2011
I bought this toaster last week and it does exactly what the description states. Nice evenly toasted bread - including the very top edge which my old toaster never managed. Love that it's got 6 different toasting settings as I make my own bread and some of it needs a much higher setting than shop bought bread. Looks very smart sitting on my kitchen worktop too. My little boy is very impressed that it's shiny and he can see himself in it :)

The Last Seal
The Last Seal
by Richard Denning

5.0 out of 5 stars YA Historical Fantasy based around The Great Fire of London, 1 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Last Seal (Paperback)
This is the third book I've read by author Richard Denning. The first two were from The Hourglass Institute series and I thoroughly enjoyed them. This book however is the first in a new series called The Praesidium and although I was really looking forward to reading it, I was also a little worried in case it didn't live up to my high expectations. I really needn't have worried because as usual Richard delivered an awesome array of characters which definitely included the good, the bad and the ugly, and an amazing plot!

If you've read the synopsis you'll know that The Last Seal is set at the time of the Great Fire of London in 1666 and is the story of a schoolboy called Ben, magic and demons! This fascinating plot is like nothing I've ever read before - a mix of true factual events, dates and places alongside awesome magical fantasy and I was so involved in their fast, furious and often dangerous world that I didn't realise the time and ended up having a couple of very late nights!

The characters Richard has created are totally believable 17th century figures and The Last Seal involves a lot of characters. Don't worry, it didn't get confusing as each person or group arrived with their own story and there was plenty of time to get to know them. My favourite character was the quick witted, feisty little thief who very early on in the book became friends with the main character, Ben, and I was glad she took on a main role in the story along with guilt-laden Gabriel the bookseller and Tobias the doctor.

This young adult historical fantasy had me totally engrossed and I would recommend it to anyway who loves historical fantasy/fiction (especially British) whether you're a teen or an adult.

Slumber
Slumber

4.0 out of 5 stars Slumber, 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Slumber (Kindle Edition)
I don't really read many fantasy books because to be truthful, quite often I find them really heavy going, but this lovely romantic fantasy by Samantha Young was a delight to read. With adorable main characters and a great plotline it was hard to put down.

The story is set in the fantasy world of Phaedra where the Princezna (Princess) Haydyn has ruled, with the help of the Rada (her council) since her fathers death. The main character, Rogan, is Haydyn's handmaiden and best friend and has to go on a terribly dangerous journey to save the Princezna's life when she falls sick with the Sleeping disease.

Rogan was such a fun character to follow. With her determination to save Haydyn's life come hell or high water and her denial of her attraction to the head of the Guards, Captain Wolfe, she made for very interesting reading. My favourite character was Wolfe, who I loved before I knew how the story was even going to unfold. I don't think anything would have put me off him. Tall, strong, handsome, a little moody and a nobleman to boot. The snarky conversations and comments between Wolfe and Rogan made me laugh so much.

This story wasn't all just love though. Rogan had a tough quest to follow and went through many hardships along the way and I loved how she became a much stronger and decisive person whilst on her journey. There were many secondary characters along the way - some scary and had me on the edge of my seat while others were kind and sincere. My favourite of these characters was young `L' Moss who was a mountain girl and as rough as they come, but also very dependable and sweet (although I think if `L' knew I'd just called her sweet she'd probably throw up!)

Slumber swept me through a full range of emotional highs and lows, and yes at one point I was trying to read through teary eyes whilst at others I was holding my breath so long my chest hurt.

There is a very handy guide at the beginning of the book which includes a map of Phaedra, covering the countries Provinces so that you can follow Rogan on her journey and also an index of the names/terms used in the book. Both of these I found very useful.

Slumber is a definite must read for YA fantasy lovers and if you've never read fantasy before, but have been thinking about giving this genre a go, Slumber would be a great place to start. Some of the content in Slumber may not be suitable for younger teens.

Deception (Haunting Emma)
Deception (Haunting Emma)
by Lee Nichols

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great and spooky ghost story, 23 Aug. 2011
I had never heard of Deception before it turned up on my doorstep courtesy of Bloomsbury, but once I read the synopsis I was dying to get started. I love ghost stories, so a novel about a Ghostkeeper sounded right up my street.

Once I started reading I just couldn't put it down and I finished it in just two evenings. I was hooked right from the first page and I loved everything about it. The plot was exciting and fast paced and I really begrudged having to put the book down to sleep at midnight. I loved the spookiness and although it was very creepy, it was not too scary so I didn't have to hide under the bedcovers when the lights went out. Just how I like it!

My favourite characters in the book were the ghost servants. How awesome would it be to have your dinner made by a ghost? The main character, Emma Vaile was, I would say, about average for a YA book protagonist - teen, mixed up emotions, but with a quirky sense of humour and I enjoyed her story and I really felt for her. I enjoyed all the characters in Deception - the ghosts and the humans.

Deception is a super quick read and it definitely lived up to my expectations. I loved it! Now I can't wait to read book 2 - Betrayal, which luckily enough is sitting right here on my bookshelf.

This Girl Is Different
This Girl Is Different
by J. J. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars This Girl is Different, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: This Girl Is Different (Hardcover)
This Girl is Different started off quite slow and it wasn't until I was about a quarter of the way in that things started to pick up.

Evie, the main character had always been homeschooled, but really wanted to find out what high school was like so she enrolled for the senior year. I have to admit that I never really got in tune with Evie. I understood that she thought of herself as `different' and her mother had brought her up to speak up when things weren't right and she only wanted to change things for the better, but to me she seemed to go about it all wrong and took things far too far. It was no wonder she was always in detention!

Although I didn't meld well with Evie, I really liked her boyfriend Rajas. He was kind, sweet and very patient with Evie and her manic ways and it was definitely insta-love between them. I know some readers hate insta-love, but that didn't bother me too much as I rather like Rajas myself! I also loved the idea of the Dome Home - the house that Evie and her mother Martha had built themselves and lived in.

The plot was good and I enjoyed all the side stories, especially that of Evie's best friend Jacinda. Until that is, she became one of the mean girls. And not only were there mean girls in this book, but there were also mean teachers!

There were some really cute and funny bits in This Girl is Different and I found myself giggling quite often, but I also found the book slightly overbearing in places which dulled my enjoyment a little. I think if I'd gelled more with the main character then I would have enjoyed the book much more. As it was, I found it just an ok read.

Mad Love
Mad Love
by Suzanne Selfors

3.0 out of 5 stars Mad Love, 6 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Mad Love (Paperback)
I went through quite a few emotions whilst reading this book. The situation Alice is in is very sad and I felt quite heartbroken for her, but yet she had her head on her shoulders and this story was definitely not a tale of doom and gloom. Quite often I was laughing out loud or sniggering quietly to myself at the hilarity of a situation or at Alice's thoughts.

Alice herself was a really likeable and pleasant character and I think she handled the situation of her mother's mental illness and all the other problems that came hand in hand with that situation, like money troubles, very well. She was so determined to write the next book to cover for her mother and I could feel her panic as time was running out.

I really enjoyed meeting Tony, the boy Alice had been admiring from afar all summer. I wouldn't say he had a major part in the story, but I clicked with him and enjoyed his input.

Then when Errol showed up, I didn't know whether to laugh at the guy, feel sorry for him or dislike him. Just as I'd made my mind up one way or the other, something else came up which changed my view on him. I just loved the idea of him being Cupid.

I enjoyed Mad Love and really looked forward to reading my next instalment each evening. If you're looking for an easy with a fairly fast paced read then I suggest you give this book a go.

Numbers 3: Infinity
Numbers 3: Infinity
by Rachel Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Numbers 3: Infinity, 4 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Numbers 3: Infinity (Paperback)
I was so excited to get the final book in the Numbers series and it certainly didn't let me down. I adored the first two books, Numbers and Numbers: The Chaos, but this book blew me away!

I have become totally involved in the lives of Adam and Sarah over the last few months and was desperate to find out what was going on in the aftermath of The Chaos. Right from the very first page I was dragged back into their story and it felt like I was watching my friends go through some terrible and horrifying experiences. I actually don't think I breathed for the whole of the book (well, maybe the odd breath...).

The writing, as always was exceptional and I enjoyed the plot even more than the last two books. It was unique, easy to follow and exciting. I can't really say much more about it than what you can read in the synopsis above without giving spoilers for the last two books.

I don't think there has been anything about the Numbers series that I've disliked. I've loved the covers, the characters are amazingly real and the world Rachel Ward has created for them is terrifying but eerily realistic. I am really sad to see the end of this series.

Would I recommend this series to you? I think that's obviously a yes and I would go as far as saying it is a must read for all YA fans.

Need
Need

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved It! Paranormal YA, 12 July 2011
This review is from: Need (Kindle Edition)
I was first drawn to it by the beautiful cover. I love her gold lips and really wanted to know what the significance of the gold was. Well now I know, but I'm not going to tell you just in case you haven't read it yet *grins evilly*.

We meet Zara as she's travelling to Maine to live with her grandmother after the death of her father. She's still grieving and does not want to be there and she's really pee'd at her mother for sending her away. To deal with her fears and frustrations, Zara has this strange coping mechanism where she reels off the names of phobias and what they are a fear of. I learned that there are some really strange and peculiar phobias out there!

As the story progresses we begin to realise that her friends and family are not all they seem, neither is the weird man that's been following her. I liked how open minded Zara was about the things her friends were telling her and I enjoyed her way of thinking, although I have to admit that sometimes she really did have stupid ideas that had me yelling at her to stop being so dense! On her first day of school, Zara met Nick, a good looking guy who she becomes friends with although she really would like it to be more. Nick was totally cute, even when he was angry and he made the perfect `love interest' for Zara.

I thought Need was an awesome paranormal story, with Pixie's and Were's galore. It's a really quick read and extremely engrossing and has definitely left me really excited to start Captivate

David
David
by Mary Hoffman

3.0 out of 5 stars David by Mary Hoffman, 11 July 2011
This review is from: David (Paperback)
David is set in Florence, Italy at the beginning of the 16th Century and is about a young man called Gabriele who leaves his home in the countryside to hit the city and make some money so he can return to his village and marry his sweetheart. His plan is to find his `milk brother' Angelo, more recognisable to us as Michaelangelo, the famous sculptor.

Gabriele's story is narrated by the man himself in his senior years and at points through the story he'll talk about something Gabriele or Angelo are working on or doing and tell you that actually it never came off or was never finished and later in the story you find out why. This worked really well and made me more compelled to finish the book.

I loved reading about Florence - the art, the buildings, the people and personalities we met and their way of life. Mary Hoffman's descriptive is superb! I really liked Gabriele, but he was quite naÔve and although his character did develop somewhat, I was also a little disappointed in him too, which I'll explain later.

One of the major plotlines running through the story is the politics in Italy and in particular Florence at the time Gabriele and Angelo are there with the different factions fighting for leadership of the city. Unfortunately this part of the story went right over my head and most of the time I just ended up confused. Gabriele was very caught up in these political wars to the extent where he put his own life on the line on more than one occasion, but it annoyed me that he just took on whatever opinion he was told and became a `sheep' when he had a strong enough personality to reach further than that.

As I've mentioned above, David is set in Italy and so obviously there were a lot of foreign (to me) names and words in the book. At times I found this very confusing and often had to refer to the back of the book where there is a list of all the names used and who they were.

David does contain sexual content and would be most suitable for older teens and adults. All in all I did enjoy the parts of the story about Gabriele and his life immensely, but the overrunning political aspect of the story made it a very difficult read for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12