Profile for The Slowest Bookworm > Reviews

Content by The Slowest Bo...

The Slowest Bookworm "Single mum to 7yr old boy just getting interested in books. I mainly read & listen to young adult books with the odd adult thrown in." (Stockport, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Whisper of a Witch (The Savannah Coven Series Book 1)
Whisper of a Witch (The Savannah Coven Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely Witchy read, 29 Oct 2010
During the first few pages of this book my thoughts were a little confused. There were so many characters brought into the picture all at once that I half convinced myself that I'd never remember who was who. In actual fact, the author was very clever in this respect and it didn't take long at all to feel I knew each and every one of them.

The story is about nine witches who have always been destined to come together. The girls didn't know each other before they felt the calling. Most of them didn't even know they were witches. Each has their own specific powers and each has to pass a test to stop a Demon called Bastraal being resurrected. This first book in the Savanah Coven series concentrates mainly on Shauni who is to take the first test.

I really enjoyed this book. The characters were great, including the animals. I loved Shauni's cat, Cuileann. A cat with a dry sense of humour and Suza had her speaking just how you'd expect a cat to speak :) I did feel a little disappointed towards the end of the book when Shauni took her 'test'. There was a lot of build up to this and I expected it to be a little more powerful that it actually was, but all in all, a really enjoyable read.

Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy): 3/3
Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy): 3/3

4.0 out of 5 stars The last of the trilogy, 29 Oct 2010
Mockingjay .... Mockingjay....

This is the final book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. What a fantastic series this has been.

I finished Mockingjay about half an hour ago and my brain still isn't functioning as it should. What a dark, thought provoking book this was. Out of the three books I actually found this one the hardest to read. After the first 100 pages I had to put if down for a day before carrying on.

Katniss Everdeen has been through the Hunger Games twice and come out alive. The question is, will she be alive for much longer with President Snow baying for her blood? And poor Peeta! How he has suffered at the hands of the Capitol.

The children ... at that scene I had to put the book down again and go make a cup of tea as a pretence to hide my tears.

I don't think this book is quite as good as the last two. So much darker and quite scary and therefore I've only given this one four stars, but if you've read the first two you really MUST read this one. It might not be quite as good as the others but it is still fabulous!

Hush, Hush
Hush, Hush
by Becca Fitzpatrick

4.0 out of 5 stars A Yummy Paranormal Romance, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Hardcover)
Ok, so I know quite a few people who have reviewed this book just did not like it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I connected with the main character, Nora and through her I formed my opinions of the other characters. Yes, Nora could be a dizzy cow and sometimes just didn't seem to grasp what was blindingly obvious to us as readers, but you have to remember that this book is aimed at teens more than adults.

I found the story to be original and it certainly kept my attention. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoyed teen/young adult literature.

The Small Hand: A Ghost Story
The Small Hand: A Ghost Story
by Susan Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read, 29 Oct 2010
What a lovely book, inside and out. It's a hardback, but so small - about two thirds the size of a standard paperback and it has a beautiful cover. That's what first drew me in.

It's a proper ghost story, well written with just the right amount of 'scaryness' without being over the top. The plot is really good and a fab ending which didn't leave any unanswered questions.

I would certainly recommend you read this. If you're not into horror, don't worry, neither am I. This book in no way could be classed as horror. It certainly wont scare the pants off you, but it might make the hairs on the back of your neck prickle just a little. I thought it was great and have awarded it 4 stars.

Hallowed Eve
Hallowed Eve

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for Halloween, or any other time for that matter., 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: Hallowed Eve (Kindle Edition)
A terrible life changing incident robbed Eve of her childhood and even in adulthood left her with nightmares and fears of certain events and places. When Eve has to return to Pine Creek to sort out her Grandmothers affairs after her death at the beginning of October, she knows she doesn't want to still be hanging around there by the end of the month - Halloween.

Eve's Nan's next door neighbour, Trey Rainwater had promised Nan and her Lawyer that he would keep an eye on her and make sure she sticks to the conditions of her Grandmothers will. What he didn't expect was to fall in love with her.

The main characters in this story are very likeable and the kind of people I'd enjoy being friends with. They are down to earth, witty and intriguing and there are some rather raunchy love scenes dotted about too. I enjoyed the build up in this story, waiting to hear Eve's `story' but when the climax happened I was at first really disappointed. It couldn't be as simple as that and certainly wasn't the major climax I had hoped for or been expecting. From being an enjoyable 4 star story, this dropped to a slightly disappointing 3 1/2 stars. I was wrong though and there was more to come and so unexpected that it shot straight back up to 4 stars.

Mysterious, enjoyable and a little scary to boot. I am looking forward to reading more of Suza Kates' work.

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've ever read!, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
The Hunger Games grabbed my full attention within the first 40 pages. I spent every spare minute with my nose between the pages and wow, what a fabulous read. The words just flowed and my imagination went wild!

Katniss, the main character, takes the place of her sister in the annual Hunger Games - a reality tv show run each year by the evil 'Capitol' where only one of the 24 contestants will come out alive. It's a fight for survival for the unfortunately kids who get chosen - one boy and one girl from each District, who are all between the ages of 12 and 16.

A truly original concept. In the back of the book there is an interview with the author, Suzanne Collins, where she states that she came across this idea whilst flicking the tv channels, one side had a programme about war and another a reality tv show.

I recommend this book to all my friends. It has to be one of the best books I've ever read!

Kiss of Death (Morganville Vampires, Book 8)
Kiss of Death (Morganville Vampires, Book 8)
by Rachel Caine

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiss of Death, 29 Oct 2010
This time we leave Morganville heading for city lights. All does not go well for Claire and her friends, but then what's new there! This is the first time ever I have felt compelled to read a whole series one book after another. It's taken me three weeks to finish all eight book and I can't wait for the next installment in October. Five stars from me.

Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2)
Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you Team Peta or Team Gale?, 29 Oct 2010
Oh my! I finished this book about 10 minutes ago and my heart is still racing.

Katniss is in big trouble after winning the 74th Hunger Games. The Capitol are afraid she's going to cause an uprising in the Districts and are after her blood.

This book is fast paced and the suspense never ends, right down to the very last line. I thought the first book in this trilogy was amazing, but this one was even better. That last line ... I would never have guessed. I'm still reeling!

Team Peta!

Mary Berry's Baking Bible
Mary Berry's Baking Bible
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cakes ever!, 29 Oct 2010
This is my favourite baking recipe book! Fabulous results every time and the most gorgeous recipes.

The Familiars: Animal Wizardry
The Familiars: Animal Wizardry
by Adam Epstein

5.0 out of 5 stars Animal Fun!, 29 Oct 2010
This book is recommended 9+, so more of a childrens book really than Young Adult. But saying that, it was a really fun and exciting read even for me as an adult! Aldwyn the alley cat, Gilbert the tree frog and Skylar the blue jay were gorgeous and made great main characters. The humans (or loyals as they are called in the book) only really took part at the beginning and end of the story.

Humour abound, mostly caused by Gilbert and his very clumsy ways (I loved this little tree frog) found me laughing out loud on numerous occasions and when the tension heightenend I just couldn't put this down. A great plot with non-stop animal action. I can say hand on heart that there wasn't a boring page in this book.

A special little treat I found are the lovely ink drawings at the beginning of each chapter and also dotted around on different pages. The first one I saw was a little fly on page 10 and it took a second or two for my mind to register that it wasn't real. I actually thought someone has squashed a fly in the book!

I can't wait until my son is old enough for me to read this one aloud to him.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2012 6:31 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11