Profile for egoist > Reviews

Danubia: A Personal History of Habsburg Europe
by Simon Winder
Price: 12.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it - but I would have liked more pictures, 7 July 2014
Loved it - but I would have liked more pictures. There were many tantalising references to buildings, paintings, statues etc - and I just wanted to see them!

In the Mountains
In the Mountains
by Elizabeth
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: In the Mountains (Paperback)
I was not expecting such a slim volume, but that didn't matter. I savoured every sentence of Elizabeth Arnim's clever, and often acerbic, prose.
Actually this was a charming little story: alhough the first 30 pages were about trying to recover from failure and depression, it turned into a heart-warming story about people past their youth finding new friendships (and love?)

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit/Bombs on Aunt Dainty Bind-Up
When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit/Bombs on Aunt Dainty Bind-Up
by Judith Kerr
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars As much for adults as for children, 15 Jun 2013
I read this book avidly - it didn't feel like a children's book at all. Of course the subject matter was very grown up, but the writing style was not childish - just clear and economical - I wish more modern novels (for adults) were like this!

Bach: Mass in B minor
Bach: Mass in B minor
Price: 8.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
I am rehearsing Bach's B Minor Mass in preparation for a performance, and there are a lot of notes for members of the choir to learn! I bought this CD to help me get to know the work. It was not what I expected, as many of the choral numbers are actually sung by the four soloists (with or without a ripieno chorus where required). In a way this was disappointing but it was also very good for my particular purpose, as there was much greater clarity in the individual parts than there normally is in a choral number performed by full choir. Emma Kirkby was of course wonderful. I would have liked a more informative blurb with the CD, in particular explaining more about the reasons for performing it in this unusual way.