Profile for J. Green > Reviews

J. Green

Tom Jones - The Life
Tom Jones - The Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner!!!, 27 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Tom Jones - The Life (Hardcover)
I bought this book more for the author than the subject. I’m not a huge Tom fan but watch him on The Voice. I’ve read most of Sean Smith’s books and have enjoyed them all. He’s always very even-handed about the stars and not looking to dish the dirt. He usually writes about younger people like Robbie and Gary so I was a bit apprehensive about what he would make of an older man like Tom. I needn’t have worried. It rattles along and didn’t drag for a moment. I always laugh when Tom namedrops about Elvis and co on The Voice but it turns out to be all true! He really was friends with all the greats. I would recommend this book to anyone wondering why Tom Jones is a legend.

Gary: The Definitive Biography of Gary Barlow
Gary: The Definitive Biography of Gary Barlow

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read!, 19 Oct. 2013
I am building up quite a collection of this author’s books. I have enjoyed them all but some more than others. This one is a favourite. I watch Gary Barlow on X Factor and, having read this book, it’s clear he is much more than a talent contest judge. The chapters that deal with his early life as a musical prodigy are an eye opener. He wrote more than a hundred songs while still as school! While I always like to read the before they were famous bits, I was gripped by Gary’s fall from grace and amazing rise back to fame. This is definitively a book I will read again.

Tulisa
Tulisa

5.0 out of 5 stars Tulisa, 17 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Tulisa (Hardcover)
This is the third or fourth book I have read by this author. I wasn't sure how I would get on with the life of Tulisa. She is quite young for a biography and on television she comes across as being a bit pleased with herself. However, I was hooked after the first few pages. The detail about her musical family and her Greek and Irish heritage was fascinating and that was before she had to face up to her parents' split and her mother's ill health. She definitely had to grow up too quickly. What I liked about the approach of this book was that the author doesn't sensationalise it as a newspaper might have done. Her life doesn't need that. We aren't told what to think when, at seventeen, Tulisa slit her wrists in a cry for help. We get to make up our own minds which is rare in this sort of book.

Kate
Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Kate (Hardcover)
This is the third book I have read by this author and once again I only tried it because I had enjoyed the one before. I was not too bothered about Kate Middleton and am definitely not a royal fan but I warmed to her. I was a bit surprised that she could fill a book but the story never flags. It's pacy and thoughtful and kept my attention throughout. There were lots of things I didn't know particularly about her early life when she was bullied at school as well as the story of her romance with William. I was amazed to learn that their break-up only lasted about a week. The book has everything about the wedding. I liked the fact that the author stood in the Mall and cheered like a normal person and was not in the comfort of a TV studio. That sums it up really. There's no snobbishness here or bowing to the royal family - just a straightforward very readable story. Highly recommended.

Robbie
Robbie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Robbie (Hardcover)
I read Sean Smith's last book on Cheryl Cole and really enjoyed it so decided to give this a go although I am not much of a fan of Robbie Williams. I found myself fascinated by his life. A great story, well told.

Cheryl
Cheryl

5.0 out of 5 stars Top read for Cheryl fans!, 13 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Cheryl (Hardcover)
I love all things Mrs Cole and didn't really think there was too much more to know about her. Wrong! I found myself enjoying it so much I couldn't put the book down. It was funny and sad and also surprising. Perhaps it's more interesting when it deals with her early life but that's probably because of the sheer volume of coverage of recent Cheryl in all the magazines. I'm hoping Cheryl will do her own book soon but she's so busy these days it may be a while. So, in the meantime, I don't think you will get any better than this!