Profile for soul_singer@hotmail.com > Reviews

Susie Orbach On Eating
by Susie Orbach
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth, 6 Feb 2002
This review is from: Susie Orbach On Eating (Paperback)
I am a book fanatic but this is the first time that I am writing a review. I have struggled with my weight for years and, eventhough I am a little "overweight" (whatever that means) I still despair in the same ways as most people do. I have read lots of books on diets and as I was about to invest in another one I decided to give this a try. I only read the book yesterday and found that I have been able to put it into practice. The principles are that you eat whatever you want when you're HUNGRY and stop when you're FULL. It's something that I have never realy done. I, like many others, view food as a tool for my emotions. This book encourages you to feel the emotion, be it anger, sadness or happiness, rather than eat to supress it. Yesterday I was angry and for once I let my anger surface rather than working my way through a 6-pack of crisps. It was scary but I made it through the emotion without dulling it by trying to eat it away. I just dealt with it instead. I think that this book is brilliant and gives you back the pleasure in eating. It is liberating and makes you feel like you finally "get it". Buy this book if you don't want to suffer any more by creating a weight problem instead of dealing with the emotion at hand. It is cmpassionate and soothingly written. Why shouldn't we know what our body needs more than someone that we don't know who's writing a book on the next fad diet? I know myself and that's the person that I'm gonna start listening to, and this book encourages you to do that - tune into you. This is no quick-fix(it's not a diet afterall), but this way you always have your cake and eat it too.....which DIET gives you that???