Profile for S. West > Reviews

Content by S. West

S. West

Page: 1 | 2
ZAGG Invisible Shield Back Protector Scratch Guard for Apple iPad 2 (WiFi / WiFi + 3G)
Offered by Cases

3.0 out of 5 stars Need more installation spray!, 3 Sep 2013
I've read the other reviews and I'm surprised by how negative they are. I wanted a back protector for the iPad 2 that didn't add any bulk or weight, which is exactly what this product does.

I installed it myself without too many difficulties, although I did need to use most of the installation spray (this would be my top tip), meaning I probably won't be able to install the 2nd protector included in the box unless I can get hold of some more.

The protector has a rubbery feel and is teak tough - impressive for such a thin product that weighs....nothing!. It fits perfectly with cut-outs for the speaker, camera lens, etc.

The only criticism is that over time (2 years so far), the heat emitted from the iPad during use caused blackening of the protective film in places. Because of this I would be thinking of replacing the protector with the 2nd one, but as previously mentioned I doubt I have enough installation spray left to do this. These 2 gripes are the reason why it only gets 3 stars. In terms of it's performance it would get 5 stars.

Samsung I8160 Galaxy Ace 2 Sim Free Mobile Phone
Samsung I8160 Galaxy Ace 2 Sim Free Mobile Phone
Offered by Connected247

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of phone for a budget/mid-range price!, 7 Jan 2013
I got this phone as a Xmas present for my wife, as her first smartphone, and I'm very impressed with it for the money. This is what people need to remember when saying it doesn't do this or it hasn't got that....it's a mid-range device that is a LOT less money than the top-range devices such as the Galaxy S III or an iPhone 5. If you want those features, get your wallet out, but I have to say there's not a lot that this phone doesn't have - for way less than £200 you get a speedy dual-core chip, a great 5MP camera and HD video.

I have an iPhone 4 and I'm amazed how close this phone comes to it. Where the iPhone wins is mainly cosmetic, with a thinner, sleeker body, although the iPhone actually fits perfectly into the gel case for the Ace 2! It also has the built-in storage capacity, but the Ace 2 has a microSD card slot so additional storage can easily be added to your requirements and microSD cards are cheap as chips (pardon the pun).

I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could, judging it for what it is - as a mid-range device. Only the older Android version (Gingerbread) prevents 5 stars. Even this is a non-issue really; my wife doesn't give a monkeys as long as it works well, which it certainly does. Rumor has it that Samsung will either update to Ice Cream Sandwich or go straight to Jellybean in the next few months anyway.

One word of warning - be careful buying from TekGadgets. The phone was supposed to be unlocked and unassociated with any network, yet it displayed the O2 video logo on startup/shutdown, had O2 apps installed, and was rooted (jailbroken) even after a factory reset. Rooting means you can gain additional functionality, performance and customisation, but official firmware updates will fail and it will often invalidate the warranty. Some people want to root their Android phone, but I'd prefer not to, thanks. It did work with an Orange PAYG SIM, but I returned it and bought an unmodified one instead from EE (Orange) on the high street for £140...result!!

Fluval Chi Aquarium 19L
Fluval Chi Aquarium 19L
Offered by The Pet Warehouse Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice littel tank, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Fluval Chi Aquarium 19L (Misc.)
Bought this primarily to use as a quarantine/hospital tank for my tropical BiUbe (35l), but as I was going to keep it on my desk in the study I also wanted it to look attractive too, hence the Chi and not some cheap plastic job. I must say it works well on both counts. It has a small footprint, but is plenty big enough for 2-3 small fish or 1 larger one, and looks great. The fountain is very relaxing while I'm working but adding the stones cradle on top does the job nicely if I require silence. The integral LED light illuminates the tank with subtlety and you soon get the knack of turning it on/off without getting your fingers wet.

Whenever I intend to buy new fish for the Biube, or have a sick fish, I fire up the Chi and pop the fish in. A Superfish 50w Nano Heater keeps the temperature easily at 24/25C. The clear plastic lid is sold separately and is a must, to reduce evaporation and stop any fish jumping out. Even with the lid, I need to top up the water every other day to keep the level within the required range for the pump and filter to work correctly, so always have a jug of treated water at the ready (using API Stress Coat to remove the chlorine, etc). In addition, I do a 20% water change every week.

In case you're wondering how I can start-up a tank at short notice, without going through the whole fishless cycling routine, I keep a spare black filter pad (the one that's designed for the beneficial bacteria to grow in) for the Chi floating in the Biube, which is mature with a healthy biological filter. I could hide it under stones but to be honest I can't be bothered and some of the fish like to shelter under it sometimes. If I suspect a fish is sick, I fill up the Chi with treated water and turn on the heater and pump. After 24 hours I extract the Chi filter from the Biube and insert it into the Chi's pump, along with the accompanying white filter pad. A squeeze of the Biube's filter pad into the Chi, along with a double-dose of API Stress Zyme for good measure, and it's ready to rock and roll! This technique has worked every time, with the water staying crystal clear and the fish very happy (or as happy as the sick ones can be while I treat them).

New fish are quarantined for a couple of weeks to make sure they are disease-free before putting them in the main tank, although I usually have that planned a few days in advance! When no longer required, it's easy to wash out and sterilise, ready for the next time. It looks so good I'm tempted to keep it running permanently with some Neon Tetras or a couple of Guppys, but ultimately I can't be bothered to maintain 2 tanks!

SuperFish Nano Heater Length 17cm 50W 0-30L H71
SuperFish Nano Heater Length 17cm 50W 0-30L H71
Offered by FishAround Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance!, 12 Jun 2012
I have a theory about this heater which might explain some of the bad reviews regarding it prematurely switching off before reaching the set temperature:

When I first tested the heater in a tank with water at room temp, I set the dial to 25C and lo and behold, it switched off after about 10 mins when the water was still only at 22C (using another thermometer to check). So I wacked the dial up to 28C and once again, it switched off pretty quickly with the water still only at around 22.5C. I started composing the scathing review in my mind...

But hang on. Patience is a virtue. If you leave it alone, it switches on and off all the time, but the temp keeps slowly rising. I believe it has an in-built mechanism that prevents it being on for more than a certain amount of time; maybe for safety reasons, or to prolong it's lifespan, or both. The point is though, that it keeps turning back on again enough times to keep raising the water temp to the required level. After which, it maintained the water temp within 0.4C of the required temp, which is within the stated margin of variance. Additionally, the dial does not have physical notches for each degree, just a label with the numbers on, so there is the possibility of not getting the dial set at exactly the temp you intended and you might need to adjust it slightly.

So give it a chance before you condemn the nano, there might not be anything wrong with it at all.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2014 8:10 PM BST

Mont Blanc Roof Box Strap Lift Storage System
Mont Blanc Roof Box Strap Lift Storage System
Offered by FastcarDirect - 24 Hour Dispatch

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, but effective, 5 Dec 2011
"Do not stand on it's end", says the roofbox manual, "lie flat". That's great but it's a heck of a lot of space it then takes up in the garage! This system is an excellent answer to this problem. What could be simpler than a couple of straps screwed to the rafters, with catches that allow you to raise and lower the roofbox easily and safely?

The only problem I had was that the mounting brackets for attaching the straps to the rafters were too wide for the rafters in my garage, unless I mounted them lengthways along the rafters, but then the roofbox would've been hanging sideways and I wanted to be able to lower the box directly onto the roof of the car when needed. My solution was to mount the straps to a sturdy piece of chipboard I knew would come in handy one day, layed across the rafters. Job's a guddun!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars No fuss lighting, perfect for dark corners and paths, 5 Dec 2011
Make no mistake, these are not suitable as security lighting or for floodlighting the garden. While they are bright enough that you wouldn't want to look at it for very long, they are after all, one LED that is battery powered.

Having said that, I didn't buy two for this purpose. I bought them to illuminate the path on the way from the house to the garage, and the passage way between said house and garage where we keep the wheelie bins. I was fed-up with bruised shins at night by bumping into things left on the path and also not being able to see properly when taking the rubbish out.

These spotlights are perfect for this task; they illuminate the areas easily enough to see where you are going and what you are doing. The motion sensors are excellent, activating the spotlight as soon as I come into view some 10 metres away. Being battery powered means no messing around with mains wiring outside, or the expense of an electrician; just fix them to the wall and job done. It remains to be seen however, if the claim of 1 year's battery life on average rings true, particularly as we have two very active cats at night!

My only gripe is the way it fixes to the wall. The supplied screws are nowhere near long enough and I discarded these straight away and used some more suitably longer ones. I also would have preferred to be able to fix screws through the mounting bracket rather than slotting the lights down onto the protrudung screw heads - it just doesn't seem as secure as it should be.

Apple IPAD 2 MC770B/A 32 GB 512 MB 9.7 -inch LCD
Apple IPAD 2 MC770B/A 32 GB 512 MB 9.7 -inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Do your research first!, 24 Aug 2011
I didn't buy my iPad 2 32GB Wi-fi from Amazon (cheaper elsewhere), but having read a few reviews for the various models here before I did buy, I felt compelled to add my 2 penneth.

Most reviews are very complimentary (rightly so), but I have read a few whereby the reviewers appear to have parted with £500+ without doing any kind of product research first. They then slag off the product for things it can't do (e.g. no flash support). Anybody who does that must have more money than sense!

If you spend 5 minutes researching the iPad 2 you would KNOW it doesn't support flash (because of a dispute between Apple and Adobe, not through any technological shortcomings). I read one person saying because of this, you can forget trying to use BBC's iPlayer, when in fact there is a free iPlayer app from the BBC specifically designed for the iPad. The same goes for BBC News, Sky News/Sports and a forever increasing number of other sites that use flash on their standard websites.

Moving on to what I actually think of the iPad 2, you might have guessed by now that I love it, as does my wife and my 21 month old daughter! I won't go into all the things it can/can't do (that's your job to find out) but it provides lightweight, instant-on access to the internet, email, photos, music and video libraries, youtube, and all the other thousands of apps available to download on the App Store, all in the perfect form factor. As a cricket fan who already subscribes to Sky Sports, I can watch the Test Matches on the iPad anywhere there is a wi-fi connection for free using the SkyGo app. With the purchase of a leather case with velcro strap for another £15, we also use it as an in-car entertainment system for our daughter on long journeys, strapped to the rear headrest, playing her favourite programs and cartoons (battery life approx. 10 hours).

In short, do yourself a favour and do some research before buying a tablet computer, ANY tablet computer. The Android alternatives are great too and may be more suited to your needs, but if not, the iPad 2 still wins all the professional reviews and is still THE tablet to get, IMHO.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2012 5:33 PM BST

BaByliss for Men 7890U i-stubble Trimmer
BaByliss for Men 7890U i-stubble Trimmer
Offered by Printfusion Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 4 Aug 2011
This is a good product, but personally I'd prefer it if the shortest setting was something like 0.3mm or even 0.2mm, rather than 0.4mm. Babyliss say that 0.4mm gives you the 5 o'clock shadow look; maybe for George Michael but not for me, and I grow stubble pretty fast! Other than that, I'm really happy with it. Some reviewers have noted that it's impossible to trim the stubble right under your nose, which is true, but I just finish that bit off using a mini-trimmer (also made by Babyliss) that I need to use anyway for sideburns, ears and nose. This product pays for itself after a few months as you no longer need to spend a small fortune on razor blades!

Breville VKJ364 Polished Easy-view Lift-off Illumination Kettle (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 18 Jan 2011
This kettle looked to fit the bill, but not only is the "illumination" light a gimmick, it also doesn't work very well. The idea is that it's off while the kettle is on it's base, illuminates the fill window when you remove it from the base, or when you turn on the kettle. In reality, it did pretty much the opposite most of the time! I may have got a faulty unit, and I recognise that can happen with any make/model, but even when it worked properly it wasn't really very effective at making it easier to see the water level when filling in the first place.

Returned.

Sennheiser CX 400 Ear-Canal Headphones for Apple iPod - Black
Sennheiser CX 400 Ear-Canal Headphones for Apple iPod - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value at £8 but has faults, 17 Jan 2011
I bought these a couple of years ago when the price was around £36, so compared to that I think £8 represents very good value for what essentially are decent headphones. If only every idiot still using the Apple headphones on the tube would just spend £8 on these, everybody would be so much happier! The sounnd quality is pretty good and I found if anything they were a little too basey, in contrast to some other reviewers. Maybe some sets vary in manufacture? They do not leak any noise to the outside world, unlike the cheap rubbish Apple give you. Why do poeple spend hundreds of pounds on an MP3 player, only to shackle the sound quality by using the $3 cans that come with them?

Having said that, they're not perfect. The biggest complaint is the wire, which is rubbery and transmits noise through to the ear when it is jolted or moved - I wouldn't recommend these if you're a jogger. Additionally, the wire is in two sections; either it's very short without the extension or it's very long with it. Too short or too long in my opinion.

Page: 1 | 2