Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Ania" (Exeter, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Curry Easy Vegetarian
Curry Easy Vegetarian
by Madhur Jaffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Madhur Jaffrey's best and most beautiful veggie cookbook yet!!, 26 Sep 2014
This review is from: Curry Easy Vegetarian (Hardcover)
I already have Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian and Middle Eastern Vegetarian cookbooks, both of which I love dearly and have used faithfully for many years, so I was really looking forward to her latest collection of delicious vegetarian recipes. And when it arrived, I was flabbergasted. Expecting pages and pages of printed text with no pictures (but excellent recipes!), I opened Curry Easy Vegetarian and was stunned by the beautiful photography, of the meals, of the ingredients, of the people and places of India. It is printed on thick, good quality paper, with each recipe on a separate page and a lovely introduction by Ms Jaffrey preceding each dish. Finally, a literary work of art, a true coffee table book, for us veggie Madhur Jaffrey fans.

Yes, I admit, I love reading cookbooks, poring over the author's notes, making shopping lists, while my mouth waters as I get lost in food and travel photography. But I also am an avid cook and words and pictures aren't enough to entice me into the kitchen. I live in a small village with no supermarket for 8 miles, not to mention an Indian shop, and no car to boot. So for me a cookbook has to be easy to use, with readily accessible store cupboard ingredients. And when I opened Curry Easy Vegetarian, most of my excitement stemmed from just that. If you make Indian food regularly, you'll have most of the pulses, grains, spices and seasonings to allow you to get cooking straightaway. I'll be getting the few odd ingredients like tamarind paste, asafoetida, ajowan seeds and rasam powder this weekend, and with these and my weekly veg box it will be possible to make the majority of the recipes in Curry Easy Vegetarian. Madhur Jaffrey makes Indian veggie cooking accessible to everyone.

I've only had the book for a couple of days and was so excited when it came that I've been making dishes from it morning, afternoon and evening. I made the red lentil and courgette soup AND the red pepper and tomato soup all on the same day because they sounded and looked fantastic. Simple ingredients, quick cooking times and lovely flavours...these will be staples in my kitchen. I tried the radish and orange salad this morning, not quite sure what to expect from such a combination, but it was wonderful. And the spicy paneer slices and berry pilaf with dried cranberries were simply amazing! I am making a version of the wild mushroom stew (with ordinary chestnut mushrooms) tonight, and really looking forward to the combination of mushrooms with coconut milk. So many exciting new flavours and ingredient combinations to try and explore!

Madhur Jaffrey includes loads of fantastic recipes for many vegetables, including potatoes, okra, cauliflower, aubergine, cabbage, kale and green beans. I was very happy to see that my favourites, mung beans and red lentils, make many appearances not just in the dals but in the soups and grains sections too. The book's chapters are 1. Soups, Appetizers and Snacks, 2. Vegetables, 3. Dals, 4. Grains, 5. Eggs and Dairy, 6. Chutneys, Relishes and Salads, 7. Drinks, sweets and desserts.

All in all, I am over the moon and even my carnivore boyfriend said that everything was fantastic and that we're only eating curries from now on!!

Plenty More
Plenty More
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another culinary work of art from Yotam, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Plenty More (Hardcover)
We all expected great things from the sequel to Plenty and it certainly doesn't disappoint. Like its predecessor, it's a treasure trove of amazing and bizarre things to do with (or to) vegetables. I had my first go at smoking some beetroots on the stove yesterday (with a fire blanket ready and the fire station on speed dial) and together with a caramelised macadamia nut topping, they were divine. As was the Thai red lentil soup with aromatic chilli oil. I have also finally discovered a wonderful salad recipe for the bag of dried mung beans that had been lurking away at the back of the cupboard for a year, unused.

The book is divided into these sections: Tossed, Steamed, Blanched, Simmered, Braised, Grilled, Roasted, Fried, Mashed, Cracked, Baked, Sweetened. Don't expect to be able to do all the recipes as soon as you get the book. It tempts you with sweet words and beautiful photography and then teases you with its ingredients lists when you realise you're missing something... orange blossom water, pomegranate molasses, preserved lemon, yuzu juice, fregola, nori sheets, dried sea spaghetti, black glutinous rice, membrillo. Ah, the joys of online shopping!

Together with the glorious mouth-watering pictures, this is a cookbook that will keep you at home all weekend just so that you can try the wonderful aubergine cake and the meringue roulade. And even if you don't have all the ingredients in your store cupboard, it is a magnificent feast for the eyes.

Vegetables from an Italian Garden: Season-by-Season Recipes
Vegetables from an Italian Garden: Season-by-Season Recipes
by Charlie Nardozzi

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of simple, healthy and tasty recipes, 10 Sep 2014
This is a beautifully illustrated and mostly vegetarian cookbook. It is massive, with a whole treasure trove of simple, easy to prepare recipes for fresh ingredients, which just happen to taste great! And to my joy, it has the widest selection of artichoke recipes I have ever seen in a cookbook. The layout itself is quite original, dividing the book into the four seasons. Each season section begins with an introduction inset, which provides information about the vegetables and the best ways to grow them in your garden. After that comes the recipe section, starting with a handy contents page of all the recipes in that section. About 90% of them are vegetarian, the rest contain meat (mostly seafood, ham and beef stock).

One star less because I like cookbooks with a bit of personality. This one seems to lack it. It would have done the book a lot of good to replace the inset section describing the vegetables with a mouthwatering introduction to each recipe, a bit like Viana La Place does in Verdura or Denis Cotter in For the Love of Food. A temptingly written description of the pleasure you get from the fresh, juicy, crispy vegetables would have enticed me to use this book a little bit more. As it is, I use my tattered and worn copy of Verdura time and time again, despite its age and lack of illustrations and only reach for Vegetables From an Italian Garden during a glut of green beans or when I can't get enough of artichoke recipes in other books.

Jackpot Athalia Women's Jumper Navy Cream Stripe XX-Large
Jackpot Athalia Women's Jumper Navy Cream Stripe XX-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, 29 Aug 2014
A super quality jumper from Jackpot, fits perfectly and looks great. Very happy with purchase.

Jackpot Senise Women's Cardigan
Jackpot Senise Women's Cardigan

5.0 out of 5 stars vibrant cardigan that will liven up all things plain, 31 Mar 2013
Love this cardigan, its a vibrant dark coral colour with a feather pattern on it, which will go perfectly with every plain dress that you have in your wardrobe (I like it especially with grey, navy or cream). It's made from viscose not cotton, so is thin and flowy but is your usual Jackpot top quality. I have washed it a couple of times since my purchase and it still looks brand new. Unlike the previous reviewer, I'd say that the sizing on Amazon perfect, I ordered XS as I do with all Jackpot cardigans and it fitted my size 8 frame perfectly. Very happy with this purchase.

Jackpot Cerrina Tunic Women's Dress
Jackpot Cerrina Tunic Women's Dress

5.0 out of 5 stars classy, elegant dress, 31 Mar 2013
Love this Jackpot recycled plastic bottle dress so much that I bought 2 of them, and also the grey and dusty pink one. The material is soft and flowy, and looks more like elegant viscose than polyester and is very flattering, while the navy blue and cigar brown are a fabulous colour combination with a strip of brown in the middle. Can wear it for work, to a restaurant, the cinema.... great for all occasions!

Jackpot Glover Tunic Women's Dress
Jackpot Glover Tunic Women's Dress

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful - wrong picture on item page, 19 Jan 2013
Just a warning to anyone buying the Glover tunic - if you want the dark navy blue dress with white spots on it which is pictured for this item, go to: Jackpot Keren Jersey dress. The item pictures have been mixed up, and buying the Glover tunic 'blue artwork' dress you will get the dark blue tunic with white flowers which is pictured on the Keren Jersey dress!!

Jackpot Prudenca 1 Printed Women's T-Shirt
Jackpot Prudenca 1 Printed Women's T-Shirt

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, beautiful and great quality, 19 Jan 2013
The Jackpot Prudenca top is made of thick excellent quality organic cotton with a little bit of elastan to ensure a great fit. I bought the blue artowrk pattern (white dots on dark navy blue background) and really love this design, the 3/4 sleeves and how comfortable it feels. Have been wearing it non-stop actually and after a wash it retains its colour and shape, so it's great Jackpot quality as usual. Being an 8 on top I bought size S and it fits perfectly. Very happy with this item!

Jackpot Keren Jersey Women's Dress
Jackpot Keren Jersey Women's Dress

5.0 out of 5 stars Dress is fantastic but NOT as pictured, 8 Jan 2013
Be careful. The knee-length black tunic with white flowers from the picture for the Keren Jersey Organic dress is not the item you will receive!
Ordering the Keren jersey dress you get the long-sleeved, black dress with little white spots which is pictured in
There has obviously been a mix up and the Glover tunic picture has been inserted into this items page by mistake.
What can I say, despite the error I am going to keep the black dress with the little white spots, its amaing, even nicer than the one I was expecting from the mistaken picture. Tight, well fitted, organic cotton with a fantastic pattern, you will have the whole Milky Way adorning your dress... lovely and original pattern.

InWear Nooling Pencil Women's Skirt Blue Graphite 8
InWear Nooling Pencil Women's Skirt Blue Graphite 8
Offered by addtronic

4.0 out of 5 stars A very sexy pencil skirt, 21 Dec 2012
The fabric of this skirt is a thick, stretchy cotton, very comfortable and flexible. I'm 1.65 m tall so the skirt comes down much lower on my legs than on the model, but still looks good. It fits really well and generally I'm happy with the purchase apart from 1 little issue - I wish there was a little hook at the top of the zip, to keep it in place. This is a very well-fitted skirt and every time I sit down in it I fear that the zip will undo on its own without an eye-hook holding the material at the waist together.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20