Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Ania" (Exeter, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Pasta: Mouthwatering vegetarian dishes from the expert
Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Pasta: Mouthwatering vegetarian dishes from the expert

5.0 out of 5 stars everything is delicious!, 12 Jun. 2008
I greatly enjoy Rose Elliot's recipes and have 6 other books written by her, but, seeing pasta is my absolutely favourite food ever, this recipe book is the one I use most frequently.

Rose Elliot includes plenty of recipes for pasta salads, pasta main courses, lasagne and pasta bakes, and uses a wide variety of ingredients: a whole host of wonderful things like asparagus, goat's cheese, rocket, porcini mushrooms, tomoatos, leeks, avocado and plenty more. There are recipes for classic sauces such as tomato sauce, mushroom sauce and bechamel sauce which are wonderful for lasagne as well as a slimmer's bechamel with fewer calories. Despite having other Rose Elliot books, I find that the recipes in here are not repetitive at all, in fact, its wonderful to have a whole book dedicated to pasta with all the delicious recipes in just one book.

Another aspect of this book that I like is that some of the pasta dishes are very simple using just one or two ingredients in addition to olive oil (such as parsley, parmesan or walnuts), while others are quite unusual, such as the pasta with carrot, goats cheese, sun-dried tomato and thyme. It is also a very comforting book in that very little can go wrong if you're making pasta - just yesterday I made the roast asparagus lasagne from the book and was prepared for doom when the lasagne sheets all stuck together and I did not have any spares in the house...so I made a very patchwork lasagne, and despite the bits of torn lasagne sheets having to be put together like a mosaic, the outcome was still delicious.

The only fault that I can find with the book is that a number of recipes contain the same ingredients which classically go together, but only the pasta type and the herb used is changed, so you really do not need 2 or sometimes even 3 recipes for exactly the same thing in one book. However, because there are so many different ingredients and plenty of ideas for putting ingredients together, and everything is so tasty, I still would give this book 5 stars as everything in there seems destined to be delicious.

Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Pasta
Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Pasta

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful selection of recipes, 12 Jun. 2008

Ballet Workout 2: Strength & Conditioning [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Ballet Workout 2: Strength & Conditioning [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workout for lower body, 12 Jun. 2008
Let me at the start say that I have never taken ballet classes in my life and my only previous contact with ballet was the New York City Ballet workout dvds. Unlike the artistically filmed NYC ballet workout, this one by Melissa Lowe was filmed in the 80's and is plain to see - the costumes are ordinary and the pink leotard of the instructor even slightly garish, there are no lighting effects, and the whole workout was filmed in a regular studio with a bar and a piano in the far corner. Some might consider this a crticism, and if you do like aesthetically pleasing workout videos then this one will probably be slightly disappointing; however, the 80's look of the production and dancers does not bother me at all and I consider this to be a very good and effective work out working ALL the muscles of your legs with classical ballet poses.

The first 30 minutes is the Lower Level and consists of stretching, bar work, and centre work, with many plies, and other leg-lifting exercises. The first time I used this dvd my legs hurt for days afterwards and despite owning quite a few exercise videos this does not happen very often. I'd say this is suitable for beginners and no experience of ballet is necessary. The pace is not monotonously slow and the instructor does not interrupt the flow of exercises with excessive talking. Again, some people might say this is a fault of the dvd, but personally I feel frustrated when I want to get on with a workout dvd but have to stop every 3 minutes to hear the instructor explaining. Like I said, I have no ballet experience whatsoever and was able to do all the exercises in this section without a problem just by looking at the screen. At the end I feel pleasantly stretched, even if I cannot lift my leg or do a plie to the extent of the dancers.

The next 30 minutes is the Upper Level workout, much more challenging, not from a ballet point of view (there is no complicated dance routine here, just individual exercises put together from 2 or 3 moves) but from a body limit point of view - you are required to lift your leg quite high on some occasions which I find impossible, so just do the exercises with my leg much lower than the dancers' legs. Makes you feel very old and brittle, but you can still feel the muscles in your legs working!

Not much upper body work here and no abdominal exercises either, this focuses solely on the legs and bum, and you can certainly feel them working. Great workout, despite lack of ballet experience I really enjoy it as it addresses all the problem areas that so many women out there despair about!! And unlike many other dance workouts which make feel unbearably clumsy and make me fall over my own feet, this one does not require more than 2 or 3 moves put together on very few occasions, so you don't end up feeling that you are failing miserably.

Feasts from the Place Below: Celebration food from London's top vegetarian restaurant
by Bill Sewell

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of truly mouth-watering recipes, 7 Jun. 2008
This is a wonderful book which uses the best of seasonal food: broad beans, peas, beetroot, squash, raspberries, asparagus and includes starters, main meals and desserts. A range of cuisines is contained within the pages, including Italian risottos, Indian curries, Mediterranean soups. All very original and delicious; some elegant with a flair, some hearty and simple, but always delectable. For all those veggies who are so bored of pasta with tomato and basil sauce - don't despair, you won't get any of that in this collection of recipes! I even like the original take on herbs in this book; gone are the days of parsley and dried oregano - instead, the author opts for a wide range of herbs rarely seen in other cook books: tarragon, mint, chervil, fennel and dill, beautifully complementing with your main courses.

You might wonder why all this praise but only 4 stars...I would love to give this a full 5, unfortunately the editing of this book leaves a lot to be desired. Few of the recipes have been proofread and so some ingredients from the ingredients list are omitted from the actual recipe; sometimes products are used twice at various stages of cooking with no indication that you should have halved the ingredients earlier; often, a large dose of ingredient is used 2 or 3 times (such as butter or olive oil) but apart from the general quantity you'll need, you're not told the proportions required in various bits. Little bits like that can cause some commotion and you could end up finishing a recipe realising that there's a container of cream from the ingredients list remaining that you haven't used because it has not appeared in the instructions! If you're an experienced cook, this shouldn't be a problem if you read the recipe and check everything carefully first, but if you're new to cooking these left out or undivided ingredients might be a little daunting. I have simply become used to this and even add bits in with a pencil so that I don't forget. The thing is, the original and lovely meals on offer in Feasts from the Place Below make the poor editing an easily forgivable mistake.

Method: Pilates Zones [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Method: Pilates Zones [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent workout from Jennifer Kries, 6 Jun. 2008
I have 5 other Jennifer Kries workout dvds and was slightly wary of repetition...after all, how many new elements can you possibly add to her already very wide repertoire?? However, I was not in the least disappointed with this one, and I found something new and challenging in all three 30-minute workouts featured on this dvd.

The first 30-minute workout is an abdominal core workout, very similar to the stuff in Precision Toning and Sculpting, but all exercises have been modified to add something new to your workout and to provide an extra challenge (for example scissors and a new version of The Teaser).

In the next section you use a broomstick to tone your upper, mid and lower body. Very new to her routine, which I have not seen on any of Jennifer's other dvds.

The last half hour section is predominantly a yoga workout, incorporating sun salutation, warrior and akward chair poses. The final 10 minutes or so of this section then move on to legwork including bridges (hip press ups) with leg kicks, very challenging but you can feel they work!! Definitely my favourite section, the yoga and leg work stretches you so well, and you really do feel taller and straighter at the end of the work out. And best of all, it is not tiring at all!

So if you have Jennifer Kries's other workouts, you can get this one and still find plenty of new workouts to do. I have just had about half a year without regular exercise due to my job, and found this dvd to be very helpful in stretching out my spine and all other muscles. Would recommend it for beginners and intermediate users who like plenty of variety in their fitness routine.

Veggie Chic: Veggie Food with Style
Veggie Chic: Veggie Food with Style

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 23 April 2008
My feelings exactly the same as the previous reviewer - I have been a fan of Rose Elliot for many years and eagerly awaited this book, only to discover that it is identical to Veggie Chic which I already own, and nowhere in the Amazon description or on the photos of the cover is there any warning that you are buying exactly the same product just in a different cover. I completely understand reprinting books and giving them new covers and so on, but I feel cheated that the author has allowed to sell this book as something new by actually changing the title and misleading people into thinking that this is a new collection of recipes without any warning to those that have her previous book already. Very disappointing really.

Leiths Baking Bible
Leiths Baking Bible
by Fiona Burrell

5.0 out of 5 stars success guaranteed, 15 April 2008
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
I have tried various baking books and I must say that this one has been the most successful so far with the fewest baking failures ever. In fact, every single cake I have made from this book has risen, baked to a golden yellow, or done exactly what the recipe says it should have. Containing hundreds of recipes for cakes, biscuits, cookies, muffins and breads, you will find in here an amazing collection of bakes for a special dinner party or simple (but delicious) scones for the kids' dessert. A wonderful home-baking book, this includes all the classics such as Victoria sponge and Madeira cake, as well as classics with a twist, for an example a carrot cake with a pecan-apricot crust - the best carrot cake I have ever eaten. There are plenty of traditionally British puddings and desserts, as well as continental favourites including a delectable and beautiful looking Black Forest cake. Even if you're new to baking, with Leith's Baking Bible you can be sure that this will soon turn into a new hobby and even your earliest attempts will be successful thanks to the clear and concise instructions.

The book contains recipes for citrus cakes, chocolate cakes, nut cakes, tea breads, roulades, and a section on festive baking with a wonderful Christmas cake recipe. There are biscuits for when you have just a few ingredients in your store cupboard as well as some cakes with unusual ingredients - courgette, polenta, potato, or even beetroot.

A few weeks ago I discovered a whole package of easy blend dried yeast in my cupboard which was close to the Use By date. I didn't feel like throwing it away so I decided to make a ciabatta loaf instead, and it was the Leith's Baking Bible which I used for my very first experiment of baking my own bread, which turned out delicious - so good in fact that I have made a number of breads since then. Most of the recipes actually use fresh yeast but the introduction to the Breads section explains really clearly how to used the dried variety.

Whatever your mood or the occasion you will have plenty of recipes to choose from. If I had to pick just one baking book to use forever it would be this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2012 7:47 PM BST

A Paradiso Year: Spring and Summer Cooking
A Paradiso Year: Spring and Summer Cooking
by Denis Cotter

5.0 out of 5 stars Bored of pasta with tomato sauce? Try Denis Cotter, 15 April 2008
Here is a chef who is unbelievably original and inventive with his food. Being a veggie for 15 years means I am tired of staples such as pasta with tomato sauce and spinach lasagne. Denis Cotter makes veggie cooking glamorous and exquisite with new combinations or completely new, original ingredients. The Spring and Summer Cooking section of Paradiso Seasons (yes, it is the same book but released in 2 volumes) bursts with asparagus, broad beans, courgettes, halloumi, rocket, tomatoes...readily available and always delicious ingredients, meaning you have no excuse not to make wonderfully original veggie meals to wow your guests with or just to treat yourself. No excuses either if you don't have a specialty delicatessen near you - most Sainsburys will stock everything you need. One exception might be the cheese - Denis does tend to use Irish cheeses which I have not seen anywhere in England (not even in the cheese shop down the road) but he always gives a suggestion for a more common cheese substitute. Everything I have tried from this book has been delicious and well worth the effort (yes, it is one of those books that do require a fair bit of time in the kitchen)... I just love the different ways Denis combines common ingredients to give you original and unexpected flavours.

Wild Garlic, Gooseberries and Me: A chef's stories and recipes from the land
Wild Garlic, Gooseberries and Me: A chef's stories and recipes from the land
by Denis Cotter

5.0 out of 5 stars Very creative and original, 15 April 2008
This is a wondeful cookbook which provides recipes for some unusual ingredients, and all are lovely (and some, like woodland produce, are in fact free!) You'll feast on such unusual dishes as nettle risotto, tart with wild garlic leaves and feta cheese, watercress soup, parsnip, fennel and quinoa pilaf, and a spelt farotto. So unusual but so delicious. I have been a veggie for nearly 15 years and have accumulated quite a large selection of cookbooks in that time but none of them have introduced me to so many unknown yet positively divine foods as Denis Cotter has. And don't worry, if you have a wholefood store and a woodland near you, there's no reason why you should not be able to make all the foods in this book.

I find the recipes in here far simpler than Paradiso Seasons and they require shorter cooking and assembling time, but are just as exquisite, elegant and delicious. This is a book as great for the sofa as it is for the kitchen - Denis Cotter's engrossing comments on wild food and his recipes are worth a read even if you hate cooking! The illustrations are beautiful and tempting. But most of the appeal has to be in those ingredients that I have never used before; the novelty of using wild garlic, spelt and nettle are the main attraction of this beautiful book for me. If you like trying new and original flavours, and are desperately bored of pasta with tomato sauce, this books will provide you with countless wonderful and inspired ideas for something new and unusual. But always, always delicious.

The Vegeterranean: Italian Vegetarian Cooking
The Vegeterranean: Italian Vegetarian Cooking
by Malu Simoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book - even a treat just to read and look at the pictures, 10 April 2008
I have been a vegetarian for nearly 15 years now and own at least a hundred veggie cook books, but this one has just become my favourite. It is a large format book (A4) with many beautiful photographs accompanying all the recipes. One of those books that you enjoy taking to the sofa for a read and a look through rather than just to the kitchen.

The recipes in here are quite time-consuming and very chic, but worth every minute. But the layout is fantastic - each recipe is divided into separate little sections so that you can easily do everything step by step which I found very useful for those rather complicated dishes that include a base, a sauce and a main "bit." This layout also lets you improvise and leave out some bits if you like...for example, most pasta recipes in this book call for freshly made pasta which I don't always have the time for, so I find it very convenient to have the sauce in a separate section rather than having to read the whole recipe to find the part I am looking for. And although MOST of the recipes are quite complicated and time-consuming (perfect to really wow your guests with on a Saturday night) there are some quick and easy recipes for pasta sauces, tarts and risottos as well, whcih have all without exception been delicious. The book has even converted me to aubergine with its original recipes which really surprised me as I used to have a particular dislike of aubergines for many years, and despite countless other veggie books and recipes, nothing else has managed to convince me that an aubergine CAN taste great...until The Vegeterranean came along.

I think the only down side of this book is that it does require a number of specialty ingredients which you won't get at your local Sainsbury's. They have started to stock '00 flour' but there are quite a few other products that I can't find anywhere in the small town where I live. But I have been able to substitute, although this always leaves me wondering whether the dish would have been even better if I had followed the original recipe. Despite this, I would really recommend this book for its creativity with food and I think that anyone who is bored of Typical vegetarian food will love everything in here.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20