Profile for Charlotte > Reviews

Content by Charlotte

Charlotte (UK)

In a Foreign Country (Honno Modern Fiction)
In a Foreign Country (Honno Modern Fiction)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a wonderful story of love and discovery, 5 Aug. 2014
It is a wonderful story of love and discovery, the characters and the country were so vividly and realistically depicted I felt as though I was there. Beautifully poetic descriptions that conjure up the heat and reality of living there.

Turn Left at the Sunflowers
Turn Left at the Sunflowers
by Rosemary Cosserat

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 7 May 2013
I loved this book. It's a lovely depiction of family life with all its ups and downs and dramas. I couldn't put it down, it's a real page turner. More please!

The Magic Faraway Tree
The Magic Faraway Tree
by Enid Blyton

2.0 out of 5 stars altered text, 17 July 2012
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
The publisher has edited and changed the book from the original. The names of the children have been changed and various other details. As we have the other 2 in the series, with the original names, it was very confusing for my daughter (and me as I had to remember to change them back when I read it out loud!) I sent it back and ordered an older edition. I know the language and names are very old fashioned, but so are lots of other books and they don't get re-written. Censorship for 5 year olds!! The description should come with a big warning (it does give the new names in the description but I didn't pick it up till we had the book and my 5 year old said, confused 'but that's not her name?'. Which is a huge shame as she and I both love the story! It's brilliant for reading aloud for 4-6 year olds.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2015 8:06 PM GMT

Run Your Diesel Vehicle on Biofuels: A Do-It-Yourself Manual
Run Your Diesel Vehicle on Biofuels: A Do-It-Yourself Manual
by Jon Starbuck

5.0 out of 5 stars Most up to date book on biodiesel, 10 Dec. 2009
There are a few books on biodiesel but this one is the most up to date (some of the others are quite dated). It gives very practical step by step instructions and everything else you need to make and use biodiesel or veg oil to run your vehicle. I'd thoroughly recommend it.