Profile for Ox Cardinal > Reviews

The Hindu Times
The Hindu Times
Offered by rmdcoleford

5.0 out of 5 stars Back? They Never Left!, 14 July 2002
This review is from: The Hindu Times (Audio CD)
It reminds me of "supersonic" quite a bit. To the people who have been slaggin it off for its simplicity, they don't have a point. What makes THT special is the way the riff flows along with the acoustic and electric guitar. I like the way the sound is crisp n clear and not overproduced(or distorted) like some oasis rockers. It goes back to the basics, I guess that is why it reminds me of "supersonic". Now with the b-sides; "Just Gettin Older" is Noel showing that he is turning into a more mature and classy writer. "Idler's Dream" is in my list of best oasis songs. It is just class, one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in my whole life. I was speechless the first time I heard it. "Idler's Dream" is worth buying the single. Their latest album has a lot of better songs than THT, GREAT first single though.

Here Be Monsters
Here Be Monsters
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I was Fiction, I wish I was Fact, 12 July 2002
This review is from: Here Be Monsters (Audio CD)
"Here Be Monsters" is an amazing mixture of the best music genres that give birth to a unique style. He uses sorts of vocal jazz ("those crimson tears"), easy listening ("like only lovers can", "Wind Through The Trees"), pop ("She Fell Into My Arms"), folk ("Something in my eye") and proper rock n roll ("Shanghai", "Apple of My Eye") to create a style of his own. He achieves creating his own musical atmosphere on everything song especially on "Beneath The Heart Of Darkness". Ed performs every song with soul and honesty. Not only he shows that he is a great singer-songwriter but also a great instrumentalist. His lyrics deliver the goods and don't go round in circles. What I like the most is his honesty as an artist, the kind of honesty that is missing from lots of todays music. Lyrics like 'I need to build a wall around me' on "God Protect Your Soul" 'that's the way I am made I'm afraid' on "Those Crimson Tears" and 'I've reached a low don't you know?' on "Apple of my eye" show the blossoming of a great artist (a musical genius). There are no fillers in this record. I recommend this record to anyone who enjoys good music. Congratulations on doing an excellent record Mr. Harcourt and I hope you do many more. Thanks for showing that artists are humans. I thought I was crazy but "Here Be Monsters" showed me that is ok to 'fall on your knees and beg like a dog'. "Apple Of My Eye" is simply one of the best songs ever written. Amazing, words aren't enough to describe it.