Profile for A. M. Davies > Reviews

Content by A. M. Davies

A. M. Davies "Alixx" (Bangor/Wirral, England)

Page: 1 | 2
A Brief History of the Private Life of Elizabeth II (Brief Histories)
A Brief History of the Private Life of Elizabeth II (Brief Histories)
Price: 5.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and well-written portrayal, 25 Mar 2013
I must firstly state that I am bias because I absolutely adore our Queen and Royal family but here goes...Paterson has written a touching and truthful history of Queen Elizabeth. He goes into detail but doesn't stray from the point (a brief mention of Diana's passing) so that it remains very much about the titular. Although the title says "brief" I think it was really sufficient and felt it didn't leave anything important out. He does speculate (nonsensical things like her breakfast habits) but also backs this up with honesty, either telling you the source or admitting it may be a rumour. I learnt a lot about our Queen and it was easy to read - more a story then a factual history book. It is also a useful tool to put a lot of anti-monarchies to shame as it is full of anecdotes and 'a day in the life'. A must read if you're British, it will make you believe!

LEGO City 3178: Seaplane
LEGO City 3178: Seaplane
Offered by Indigos UG
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Small so needs other toys, 25 Mar 2013
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO City 3178: Seaplane (Toy)
Okay so I am not an expert on LEGO but I found this was way too small for the price it paid. I guess this will teach me to purchase late Christmas presents from Amazon! It took a while to build which I think distracted from the point. Once built it hasn't got much use on its own but my nepthew has enjoyed it as part of his collection.

Sounds From Nowheresville
Sounds From Nowheresville
Offered by positivenoise
Price: 2.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of remixes, 25 Mar 2013
Whilst not their best I felt it a shame that it was so low-priced on Amazon. I would have paid more than 2 (?) happily, but then I won't complain about saving money on the real thing! Plently of tunes, including half the CD filled with remixes which weren't simply a different back song but generally good. Stand out song for me is Soul killing with it's beat and happy context.

What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast: A Short Guide to Making Over Your Mornings--and Life (A Penguin Special from Portfolio)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very short, 25 Mar 2013
I got this because I am a big believer in the slight edge and so enjoy picking up personal development books when I can. I read this in a morning on my way to work (figures) because it was so easy to digest. It mainly repeats what we all know - get up and do some exercise whilst there is little distraction! I will give it another read but don't bother if you don't have children (seems as this is the example of the main distraction stopping you from being successful)...!

The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer
by Michael Mosley
Price: 2.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Will keep you motivated, 25 Mar 2013
-- This is a review of the book, not so much the diet --

Bought this book on the reccomendation of a friend who had seen the TV programme. The diet seemed interesting and something I could easily follow but I much prefer a book to refer to than watching a documentary. The book goes over everything the programme does as far as I can tell; there is a very scientific part and a more easy to read part. the recepies aren't too useful but there is plenty of online material. As for the customer reviews which the book is largely made up of - I am yet to read so this is the reason for the 4 stars.

In short, if you are going to seriously start the diet I would get this book as some useful info to get you started, quiet those who disagree and generally keep you going through the distraction!

Administration Procedures for Higher Secretarial Diplomas
Administration Procedures for Higher Secretarial Diplomas
by Lesley Jefferson

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and useful, 3 Sep 2012
I purchased this when I was doing my Higher Diploma in Adminstrative Procedures (HDAP). It certainly came in handy and explained things when I felt they needed more explanation after the class.

However, I do think you could do the course without it and in fact it was more useful after the course had finished (as a recap) than during.

If the price is right I would purchase, otherwise invest in some more clear wallets!

Boy Racer
Boy Racer
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars More about cycling than Mark, 3 Sep 2012
This review is from: Boy Racer (Kindle Edition)
Although I enjoy cycling and own an expensive Marin I'm not technical-savy, nor do I have a thorough knowledge of Europe cycling routes - espcially the Tour de France. So,why did I purchase this book? I got this book because I think Mark Cavendish is a fascinating character and so wanted to read a bit more about him. If you are buying it for the same reason, I wouldn't, unless you are a major fan.

Saying that I did learn a lot from it and there were sneakbits into Mark's personal life explaining why he thinks he comes across the way he does. At times he is even arrogant here in writing but explains himself well and to be honest, he is deservedly big-headed.

I purchase the Kindle edition of this but should of got the paperback because of the photos. They are always something I like to refer back to and it was difficult to do so on the Kindle even with the inclusion of a bookmark.

I am giving this 3 stars because I felt it wasn't coherant enough and only for the hardcore cyclist - not much was explained. But I understand people who are more into cycling could perhaps rate it higher.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2013 6:13 PM BST

Brass Knuckles
Brass Knuckles
Offered by hotshotrecordsgermany
Price: 6.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his old stuff, 6 April 2012
This review is from: Brass Knuckles (Audio CD)
I bought this album to compliment my collection of Nelly CDs. However, I feel I have largely outgrown him, or he has me. There are the odd few good songs on here, such as 'U Ain't Him' and 'Lie' but they don't match the brilliant of his double album. Worth the money, but sad that he doesn't make them like he used to. Fit cover though :)

Dreams of a Life [DVD]
Dreams of a Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zawe Ashton
Price: 9.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger picture, 6 April 2012
This review is from: Dreams of a Life [DVD] (DVD)
Bought the DVD after reading about the director and her experiences with making the film about Joyce in Oh Comely magazine. This led me to an online article by Carol and then on to the film. Very well made, going between interviews with people in Joyce's life (exs, work colleague, etc.) to re-enactments with the brilliant actress, Zawe...? It paints a really good picture but also leaves the viewer to make their own mind up about who Joyce was and how she ended up unnoticed for three years. Some of the people in her life contradict each other and so go to show that not one person completely knows even anyone.

The only negative I can think of is that there is no solid conclusion, but this is based on my usual viewings of made-for-TV documentaries with the nicely rounded ending. So not a negative, but a difference. The director, Carol herself, really works to paint a larger picture of Joyce and it really is a film that will leave you thinking about it long afterwards. The musical moments are also magical and fit in really well to match the theme.

Finally, the special features are worth the price of the DVD alone. They include everything you could want, including video diaries and interviews which reveal a bit more about Joyce and the process of the film-making.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2012 11:19 PM BST

JML Sit Right Chair Back Support System
JML Sit Right Chair Back Support System
Offered by Ray Online BIZ
Price: 9.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but slips, 9 Mar 2012
I bought this because of the price point, slightly higher than others so I assumed of higher quality. Though I know that is not always the case in this instance I think it worked. However, after a couple of weeks of using it I have found that it slips down the chair so that I am constantly picking it up. Other than that though, my back problems have disappeared - whether that's thanks to this or simply getting used to working in an office once more.

Page: 1 | 2