Profile for Maria McHugh > Reviews

Content by Maria McHugh

Maria McHugh

Dogs Never Lie About Love: Why Your Dog Will Always Love You More Than Anyone Else: Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs
by Jeffrey Masson
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for animal lovers, 12 April 2013
This is a very good book, in my opinion. It writes what we already thought, dogs and other animals are highly intelligent. In my experience rats too.

Maximilian Kolbe: Saint of Auschwitz
Maximilian Kolbe: Saint of Auschwitz
by Elaine Murray Stone
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars St. Maximilian Kolbe - an inspiration, 17 Feb 2005
This is a moving account of the life and death of Fr. Maximilian Kolbe, who later became a Saint. Despite his great accomplishments (including starting a Franciscan Order in Japan) Fr. Max remained a humble man, always putting the needs of others before his own. I was heartened to hear that, during her research, the author had met many who had had the privilege of knowing Fr. Max. I envy her.
Until I did some research, I did not realise the full extent of the Nazi hatred during WWII and the holocaust. To my horror I discovered that not only had 6 million Jews perished, but historians estimate a further 5 million gentiles suffered the same fate. These were Gypsies, pacifists, communists, Catholic priests, such as Fr. Kolbe, monks, nuns, Jehovah's Witnesses and Protestant pastors, along with any person with a physical or mental impairment - all fell victim to the Nazi regime. It would seem very few escaped persecution.
Fr. Kolbe was an Auschwitz prisoner who offered his life in place of one of his fellow prisoners. He is one of many heroes of the Holocaust, some of whose stories we may never hear. I am in awe at the selflessness of St. Maximilian Kolbe. What a man - and what an inspiration.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2011 6:10 PM BST