Profile for Mr. N. Daniau > Reviews

Content by Mr. N. Daniau

Mr. N. Daniau "14geronimo"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Skullcandy Titan 2.0 In-Ear Headphones with Mic - Black/Black
Skullcandy Titan 2.0 In-Ear Headphones with Mic - Black/Black
Offered by WorldTech UK
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for a tiny price tag, 21 Nov 2013
I've owned many in-ear earphones, from Sony MDR-EX71SLB to Shure E2C-N via Creative EP-830 - and some Sennheiser, briefly, not to mention some modest Samsung earphones (go figure, the best and most durable ones I've had). The latest ones were SoundMAGIC E10, which were in the OK+ category.

Immediately these Skullcandy Titan feel very comfortable in the ear and the sound is wow! Clear crisp sound in the full spectrum, with powerful yet not overpowering bass. Added bonus they have a mic, which I needed, and which doubles up as a control (pause/mute, next/previous song). They isolate noise better than any other I've owned in the past, and I don't think they themselves leak too much sound (a barely audible tchk-tchk at medium volume in a quiet room).

All this for a lot cheaper than any of my previous earphones!? Where's the catch? Well, I'm in no rush to find out. The earphones look reasonably sturdy and well-made, with a cool logo to boot. I have no illusion though, I've stopped regarding earphones as eternal things, they're just commodity - when they last me a year or so, I consider they have rendered me an honorable service. So when I find such good ones at twelve quid-ish, I'm tempted to stock half a dozen, and hope it will do me for the best part of this decade.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2014 4:30 PM GMT

Egg Perfect Colour Changing Egg Timer
Egg Perfect Colour Changing Egg Timer
Offered by Concept4U (UK)
Price: 1.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Total waste of a pound, 21 Nov 2013
Fortunately this product is cheap. This is its only quality, as it stinks when warmed and went straight to the bin. I don't know what chemical they've used to make this, but I don't want to know what it's doing to your health when you inject the eggs boiled with it. I've tried it a few times by the way, just in case the smell would go away after a couple of uses - it doesn't.

Rummikub "Kompakt" Premium
Rummikub "Kompakt" Premium
Offered by AVIDES
Price: 19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, would be just perfect with English rules included, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Rummikub "Kompakt" Premium (Toy)
Nothing more to say about this excellent game and this "compact" version, packaged in a well-made and handy metal case. Great product overall.

My only quibble is that the instructions are in German, which is a bit of a shame as they are no so easy to find on the internet. In an age where you can't get a pair of earphones without receiving instructions in 49 different languages inc Korean, Catalan and what have you, it feels a bit stingy not to include rules in English when sold on Amazon.co.uk.

NB: Contrary to some other reviews, I've ordered this product recently (fall 2013) and they haven't added the English instructions in my delivery.

E27 to E14 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor
E27 to E14 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but adds 1/1.5 cm to the bulb length, 17 Nov 2013
I wasn't totally satisfied with this product. The adapter adds a good cm/cm-and-a-half to the length of bulb, making the adapter unfit for purpose in small lamps, or the bulb will stick out. It can still be of some utility, but this "feature" should be made clear on the product description.

B22 to E14 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor

Rampart [DVD]
Dvd ~ Woody Harrelson
Price: 1.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent piece of cinema, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Rampart [DVD] (DVD)
Foreword: If you want to see a cop film with car chases and bang bang action scenes, please look elsewhere. Also if you're looking for Zombieland, follow my advice: go watch Zombieland. (Don't get me wrong I like a good action movie and Zombieland was a good laugh, but Rampart doesn't fall in these categories.)

Now, this foreword should have dealt with 90% of the bad reviews found on this film from viewers who were looking for a different kind of cinema. Because Rampart is a truly beautiful film, something of an artistic cross between Taxi Driver and Bad Lieutenant, both landmark tales of disenchanted life in the city/in the modern society. (If you haven't seen these stop right here and go rent these masterpieces.) But Rampart is not simply an homage to these two films, it's a lot more, with inspirations from David Lynch and Charles Bukowski in the distance. (Incidentally the camera - sublime - is Bobby Bukowski, probably no relationship to the poet.)

At the same time, Rampart is totally entertaining, never getting into the pompous arthouse movie trap. The main character is LA first, Woody Harrelson's character second. The end is pure genius. A must watch.

Crabtree and Evelyn West Indian Lime Shave cream
Crabtree and Evelyn West Indian Lime Shave cream
Offered by Seifen Fantasie
Price: 12.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 18 May 2013
Great fragrance (more of the sweet lime variety than the lime we find in Europe), great packaging (chic retro look), handy format (small is beautiful). Leaves the skin clean and fresh (I personally prefer not to put aftershave after using this cream).

Dawes Li'l Duchess 24" Shimano 6 Speed Girls' Bike
Dawes Li'l Duchess 24" Shimano 6 Speed Girls' Bike

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality bike, 29 April 2013
This is the third bike I buy for my daughter. I could see the difference straight as I was taking it out of its cardboard. Everything fits and is well adjusted, the quality of materials is top quality--the frame itself, add-ons like bell and speed-changer, handle grips, saddle, paint job, instructions booklet, etc. This is by far the best quality bike I've had to buy in my limited cycling experience.

The bike itself is well-designed and ergonomic. The 24'' wheel format is a perfect compromise between a kid's size bike and adult bike. I was worried that it would be too high for my just-turned-eight daughter but she rides it with confidence on its lowest saddle setting. At the same time I'm hopeful it will last her a good few years: the other day I saw an adult woman get off the train with the same bike and she didn't look ridiculous on it. The style is suitable for girls without being too girlish, which I'm sure will matter too when she's a few years older and won't want to be caught dead with anything pink!

There was just one glitch, not with the bike itself but with the basket, which comes separately--and I'm not even sure it's made by Dawes. The basket assembly kit was missing a couple of parts (support arm and a couple of bolts), promptly sent by the excellent seller, Y Frame Discounts (highly recommended too), the next day after I contacted them.

In summary, for the very decent price tag, I am impressed by the overall quality and design of this bike. An opinion shared by my daughter by the way!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2013 7:57 PM GMT

NEW PLUG IN AUTOMATIC NIGHT LIGHT - AUTOMATIC SENSOR ON / OFF - WITH SPARE BULB - CE APPROVED
Offered by Office Stationery Supplies
Price: 7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out! Recalled product! Why is it still sold on Amazon Marketplace?, 10 Feb 2013
The product poses a risk of fire because it does not have any provision for overcurrent protection and the adaptor has inadequately sized pins. As a result the socket can overheat and the mechanical connections between the base and the cover of the adaptor can suffer undue strain when inserting into, or removing from, a socket.
The product does not comply with the Low Voltage Directive (LVD) and with the relevant European standard EN 60598.

Action Taken (2010): Voluntary withdrawal from the market and recall from consumers.

Ref. [...]
Ref. [...]

The Choice Of Hercules: Pleasure, Duty and the Good Life in the 21st Century
The Choice Of Hercules: Pleasure, Duty and the Good Life in the 21st Century
by Prof A.C. Grayling
Price: 10.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Cruel lack of argumentation and focus, 3 Dec 2011
The idea is a nice one, taking Hercules fable to as what the Good life should look like. Grayling's style is OTT but I can live with that. What I can't accept however is a complete lack of logic and reasons when advancing arguments in a philosophy - or pretending to be - book. Forget about finding any sort of reference to the theory of ethics or any deductive argument in the Choice of Hercules. This book is an endless series of opinions about everything and nothing, that leads nowhere (Hercules' question is completely abandoned from page 50) and concludes with some foggy apology of the Internal Criminal Court (WFT!?) This was my first taste of Grayling's prose, well, and probably the last.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3