Profile for Mr. J. Boyd > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Boyd

Mr. J. Boyd "Boyd" (yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, 6 Cup
Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, 6 Cup

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed the way I drink coffee, 6 Oct. 2014
This makes beautiful coffee every time. It takes some practice to perfect but it's worth it. I find that I ignore the instruction to not tamp the coffee, instead I tamp it *very* lightly and you get much stronger coffee.

Another tip i've picked up is you need to take it off the heat before it's actually finished, as it will continue for about 20 seconds.

The 6 cup model actually makes enough espresso for 2 large lattes / cappuccinos, if you let it fill to the spout you start to get very bitter but also watered down coffee.

It's incredibly easy to clean if you rinse it immediately. I only use hot water and a cloth.

I think it's excellent value for money and using this you can make better coffee than most restaurants offer for less than £30. I've been using it for about a year.

Duronic DM551X1 Spring Single LCD LED Sprung Desk Mount Arm Monitor Stand Bracket with Tilt and Swivel (Tilt -90°/+85°Swivel 180°|Rotate 360°)
Offered by DURONIC

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Weak, 1 July 2014
The first one I had arrived broken. The company thankfully replaced it for free and I didn't even have to pay for postage. My review is not of them as they were very helpful and professional.

However this stand cannot support my meagre 17" sony TFT without 'sagging' downwards. Every alan key is tightened and it doesn't help. It just sags downwards and tilts forwards.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2014 10:33 AM BST

Wireless IP camera Pan/Tilt 2-ways Audio Mobile Viewing WEP/WPA/WAP2 wireless Wi-Fi Pan/Tilt internet IP camera day and night vision CCTV security monitor built-in microphone and speaker allow you to communicate with people directly support mobile phone viewing
Offered by COOLEAD

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I thought it was going to be, 7 Nov. 2013
I rarely write long reviews but in this case I felt I had to. There is a huge range of stars being given for this product that the only real reason is that some people have been supplied with different batches.

This was delivered the day after it was dispatched, and in good packaging. In the box there was the camera, a power lead (with a UK plug unlike some reviewers got), a wall bracket, and an installation disk. For the most part the installation disk is useless the only thing i needed was the default user-name and password of the webUI of the camera. These are actually printed on the bottom of mine anyway but I didn't think to look there.

Once you've found the IP address that it's been assigned (DHCP) logged in to it you're greeted with the camera. It's that simple. To set it up wirelessly and give it a static IP address takes about 2 minutes. and 60 seconds of that is the camera rebooting.

On the down side that default UI is Chinese, but there are 3 hyperlinks after you log in (camera option one, camera option 2 (the best for me) and camera option 3, which is simplified for smartphones. There is also a drop down box, click it and you'll get the language options.

It's also worth noting that this camera even works on the free IPcam viewer I installed on my phone (android). But i bet there are a load of similar apps on the apple store too. Just put in the address, port no, and password and it'll work.

I can see how this process would have taken some less technically able people a while though. if you don't know what DHCP is you'll basically have to guess the IP address until you get the camera. There might be something to help on the disk though but I didn't really use that other than to open the word file with the default password in it.

Overall:

5 out of 5 stars. I considered giving it 4 stars for the relatively low resolution (640x480) but taking price into account I think it deserves 5. I will definitely be buying more for other rooms.

Emprex 6310U Chiclet Ultra Slim USB Keyboard with 4 Hotkeys for Media Control/Sleep Function - Windows 7/Vista Compatible
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad keyboard for the price, 22 Nov. 2012
It's a little flimsy, both the actual board and the action of the keys. But for the price it's hard to argue.

TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch
TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 22 Nov. 2012
Not a whole lot to write about an un-managed switch. I've got about 3 of the 5 port variant and one of these 8 port models. They all work flawlessly out of the box, and they're auto-sensing too.

The ONLY downside i can think of is that it's not really 8 port, but 7 as you'll need 1 port for the uplink. But most people know this anyway.

Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD)
Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good game, but..., 22 Nov. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This game CANNOT be installed from the discs provided. I don't even know what they're there for to be perfectly honest. The first disk installs EA Origin, which then updates itself and once you sign in you add the key from the game manual to your account (so you can't re-sell it) and you're given the option to download the game.

Search online for the various forums suggesting ideas to circumvent this, but none of them work well. It felt like such a shame to have to download 12GB of data that was already on my desk next to me.

I thought i'd give EA a chance seeing as how I am a mass effect fan, but not again. That being said though, if you liked the first and the second. Get this. The game JUST outweighs the drawbacks that EA make us jump through to install a game we legally purchased from them.

Ex-Pro Premium 10m Gold HDMI to HDMI Lead Cable. HD Support. PS3, DVD, XBOX 360 Elite, HDTV, SkyHD, Virgin V+, Freesat HD, Freeview HD, 1080p - HDMI 1.4 3D Ethernet support (125283-49) Compliant
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Would buy again, 27 Mar. 2012
Carries 5.1 sound AND 1080p video over 10m. I was a bit hesitant about buying it initially as i've read reports of there being degradation over distances such as these with cheap cables. I have absolutely no issues whatsoever. Picture and sound quality are just the same as any 1m HDMI cable.

It's also less than £1/m now.

TP-LINK TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch
TP-LINK TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 Mar. 2012
This switch is fantastic value for money. I'm not sure I can write a long review on something so simple. It's 100% plug and play, auto sensing, and it gives you 4 extra ports (as one of the 5 is used for input)

Will definitely buy again.

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lens, 4 Sept. 2010
This is the sharpest / fastest lens I own, and it's at a great price too.

On a cropped Nikon body (not full frame) it becomes a 52mm lens. Which is very close to the "nifty fifties" or the SLR era. It helps teach good composition and because it produces such high quality images, it increases self esteem.

The max aperture of 1.8 means you can get really creative with depth of field too.

Manfrotto 7321YB M-Y Tripod with 3 Way Head
Manfrotto 7321YB M-Y Tripod with 3 Way Head

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for money, 4 Sept. 2010
This was worth every penny. The one complaint I have is it's a tiny (very tiny) bit flimsy when it's fully extended. Incredibly sturdy when it's at eye-level. Quick release is great too. 5* at this price.

Feels like it's extremely well made too. You won't regret it.

Page: 1 | 2