Profile for L. Alexander > Reviews

Content by L. Alexander

L. Alexander "trixiewillis" (Arundel, West Sussex)

Heads
Heads
by Matthew Van Fleet

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, 22 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Heads (Hardcover)
This is a REALLY nice book, beautifully illustrated and with some fascinating pull tabs that make the heads (and various parts of them) move!! The only problem is, it's so nice I can't bear to let my 18 month old loose with it unsupervised as I'm afraid she'll tear it apart!!! I think this is a great book for adults who have an excuse to buy for young children, but would secretly like to keep the nice books for themselves!

Now, Discover Your Strengths: How to Develop Your Talents and Those of the People You Manage
by Donald O. Clifton

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book But Disappointed That Web Program Wasn't The Latest Version, 13 Dec. 2010
I was really excited when I ordered and then received this book. I didn't read much of it before I started searching for the web based program that gives you a profile of your own strenghts. Following the webpage link in the book, I couldn't understand why the access code I used from the book didn't work, until I realised that it was because you can't use the latest version of the Strengths Finder programe with the code from this book, instead you have to use an older version of it (Version 1.0 as opposed to the newer 2.0). Although the strengths finder is still great, I wonder what you miss out on by not being able to use the latest version!! I guess at the bargain price that this book is being sold at, though, you can't complain too much!!

UNIVERSAL POWER LAPTOP CAR ADAPTER/CHARGER 80W AC/DC, Compatible to Dell/Acer/Compaq/IBM/HP/Fujitus/Toshiba/Sattelite
Offered by PC 247

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading product description, 10 Dec. 2010
The title of this product states that it is compatible with Dell laptops, but in fact it isn't, as is stated by the seller on their 5 star review of their own product!! Be warned...

Tomy Baby Sshh Bee
Tomy Baby Sshh Bee

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but expensive for what it is, 7 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Tomy Baby Sshh Bee (Baby Product)
My mum bought this for our 4 month old as she occassionally has meltdowns (the baby, not my mum!) where nothing will calm her down. We were all quite disappointed that it only has 2 tunes - 1 very short and 1 lasting maybe 1 minute and a couple of sounds. Lots of other musical toys have longer lasting tunes / sounds and more variety. Turning the tunes on is too awkward for a baby - it involves holding down a small button for 2 seconds so you have to keep getting hold of the toy to switch it on. It is quite good at distracting her when she's crying (but doesn't work if she's in full meltdown mode!!), but we can't help thinking a much cheaper toy that plays music or makes noises would probably do the job just as well and for longer!

Overall, a nice toy and our daughter likes it, but it's a lot of money for what it is.

Sleeping Dogs [2006] [DVD]
Sleeping Dogs [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Melinda Page Hamilton

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 30 July 2007
This review is from: Sleeping Dogs [2006] [DVD] (DVD)
I'd agree with the other reviewer about this film. I would usually avoid romantic comedies, especially American ones, at all costs. But this film had a great story line, not too predictable and very amusing. I'd recommend checking it out.

Blue Valentine
Blue Valentine

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Wait's At His Gravelly Vocalled Best, 18 May 2005
This review is from: Blue Valentine (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite Tom Waits albums. It's more traditional than some of his other works with beautiful, soulful songs coupled with with jazzy renditions that can't help but bring a smile to your face. I'm a sucker for a tragic ballad and the title track never fails to move me, just as "$29.00" always makes me feel like I'm in some sleazy blues bar. Buy it, get out a bottle of whiskey and listen to it late on a Saturday night. You won't be dissapointed...

Ain't Love Strange
Ain't Love Strange
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Album From America's Best Kept Secret!, 18 May 2005
This review is from: Ain't Love Strange (Audio CD)
This is Paul Thorn's second album and, although I still think his first - Hammer and Nail - has the edge, only just, this is still a fantastic album. If you like real music played really well, fantastic ballads and rock pieces all penned by the man himself you can't go far wrong with this album.

Hammer and Nail
Hammer and Nail

5.0 out of 5 stars Old But Still The Best!, 18 May 2005
This review is from: Hammer and Nail (Audio CD)
I've been a huge fan of Paul Thorn for many years, ever since I saw him playing live in Brighton. This is his first album, but still the best he's released to date, in my opinion. If you like artists such as Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, The Band etc then I would advise you to give this a try. This is real music played with feeling and I challenge anyone not to get a lump in the throat listening to Temporarily Forever Mine. If you're trying Paul out for the first time, I would start with this album.