Profile for G. S. Perry > Reviews

Content by G. S. Perry

G. S. Perry (Gosport, Hampshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Martian Chronicles
Martian Chronicles
Price: 11.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the hard to obtain OST I was looking for ..., 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Martian Chronicles (Audio CD)
Not the hard to obtain OST I was looking for but a "missing soundtrack" of sorts by various artists. Track 9 "Forever And The Earth" is the real standout here,,,all wobbly synths and majestic melantronica makes this purchase a worthy one alone!

Inhale
Inhale
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars SYNTH POP IS BACK!, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Inhale (MP3 Download)
IF you are a fan of the brilliant 'Ladytron' or the equally excellent 'Marnie' then I think you'll love Greek synth duo 'Marsheaux'.
'Inhale' contains mostly upbeat tracks but things often veer off into haunting melantronica.
Vocally the girls sound a lot like the aforementioned 'Ladytron' & 'Marnie' though at times I'm sure there's a smattering of 'Human League' in there somewhere, especially on the catchy 'Never Stop'.
Everything is coated in the lushest of lush keyboard sounds and this band surely deserve to be heard by a wider audience.
I'm off to delve into the 'Marsheaux' back catalogue now to see if it holds some more hidden treasures!

Balletic Transcend
Balletic Transcend
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE BRILLIANCE FROM BILLY!, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Balletic Transcend (MP3 Download)
I am a huge fan of Midge Ure era Ultravox and, as such, I have always been an ardent admirer of the undoubted musical genius that is keyboard/electric viola/violin player extraordinaire, Billy Currie.
I loved the classicism of 'Vienna' when I first heard it in 1980 and that 'sound' has stayed with me throughout my life.
So it's no surprise really that I've looked forward keenly to the release of any new output from the ridiculously under-rated Mr Currie is it? All his solo albums are truly excellent. I have particularly enjoyed the last two releases...2009's 'Refine' and 2006's 'Accidental Poetry Of The Structure'.
'Balletic Transcend' carries on in a similar vein to those recent albums, containing the customary heady mix of neo-classical swirling synth/piano melodies interspersed with heart-tugging electric strings and all wrapped up in a cutting-edge modernity (very much a case of the new being introduced to the old here)...and all delivered with the charm and grace of a man who clearly knows what he's doing.
It's one of those happy/sad albums that are full of present day bounce one minute and then suddenly you're dumbstruck by some old-fashioned angst creeping in unannounced and unexpectedly.
My favourites on this divine 10-track opus are the 'chalk and cheese' late album duo of 'Unbounded' (which is a slice of pure keyboard-driven heaven embellished with pathos-inspiring string elements) and the up-tempo final offering, 'Etolie'.
Buy this...you'll love it. I certainly do!

Moods
Moods
Offered by Quick Discount Sales
Price: 8.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Back To An Old Friend!, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Moods (Audio CD)
Realised I didn't have a copy of the brilliant 'Song For Guy' the other day so in hunting that down I came across this CD that I used to own a while ago.
It's not all particularly my cup of tea but for the price it's pretty good VFM.
My faves are the above-mentioned track by Sir Elton (his best along with 'Rocket Man' IMHO), 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence' by the under-rated Ryuichi Sakamoto, the memorable 'Crockett's Theme' by Jan Hammer, Vangelis' masterpiece 'Chariots Of Fire' and the simply sublime 'Chi Mai' by the magician who is Ennio Morricone.
I already have 'Orinocco Flow' by Enya (I've been a really big fan of hers for ages!), 'Sadness' from Enigma (Fan of them as well!) and Barrington Pheloungs' wonderfully remorseful theme to that excellent ITV series.
Other tracks I'm happy to have back under my wing are 'Lily Was Here' by David A Stewart & Candy Dulfer and 'Only You' by Praise.
Surprise 'like' of this collection is the quirky 'C'est Le Vent, Betty' from Gabriel Yared...forgot how good that one was!
Two or three gripes stop this being a 'Five Star' rating...so here goes!
Completely dislike a couple of inclusions here, got sent the wrong album as an MP3 under 'Autorip' and the ground-breaking 'Twin Peaks Theme' doesn't feature Julee Cruise (No big deal really as I much prefer the fully instrumental version) as stated on the booklet accompanying this otherwise terrific CD.

Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Price: 20.68

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Dark Master" Is Back...And How!, 21 Oct 2013
Where do you start? Well how about a huge "WELL DONE!" to the much-maligned Mr Numan and the equally criticised Ade Fenton (though "God Only Knows" why this excellent partnership is scorned in some areas?)...you have, in my opinion, truly created a modern masterpiece.
I must put on record that I am more a fan of Gary's heavily synthesiser-oriented earlier works, such as the sublime "Telekon" etc but I still liked the increasingly industrial sounding "Sacrifice", "Exile", "Pure" and "Jagged", though to a lesser extent.
And after "Dead Son Rising" and its spin-off "Dead Moon Falling", I was expecting more of the same...but I should have known that Numan is not a musical chameleon for nothing and so what we get here is a completely different animal from what this particular avid fan, and I go right back to 1979, thought was coming next.
This has to be the best value for money 13-68 (A bit cheaper thanks to Amazon's pre-order promise by the way!) I've spent all year.
Every track is brilliant in its own way. Some pound away to an industrial beat as Gary spills out his hurt and anger while others soothe the soul as he contemplates past events and looks to the future with uncertainty. There is also a long-awaited nod to former glories present here with a definite smattering of "Telekon" era electronica evident throughout.
I really loved this album from first play, my own particular favourites are "Here In The Black" (Original Demo version on CD2 is better than the one on CD1), "The Calling", "Splinter", "We're The Unforgiven" and "My Last Day"...though I think "A Shadow Falls On Me" is my pick from a fantastic bunch.
What sets this album above other recentish releases is its variety (guitars, drums and synths galore playing melodies/abstract noises/orchestral sounds). Add top notch production to that and above all a sparkling return to vocal form by The Big G himself and it hasn't surprised me to see "Splinter" break into the Top 20 in the Album Charts. Compared to the fodder that makes up the majority of THAT chart, this is refreshingly original British music at its very best!
An album that is pure Gary Numan...and all the better for it!
I am now totally looking forward, with some relish, to seeing this live in Oxford in November.
Please don't leave it another seven years to follow this belter up Gary!

Crystal World
Crystal World
Price: 11.74

5.0 out of 5 stars MARNIE'S A MARVEL!, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Crystal World (Audio CD)
First of all I must congratulate the delightful Marnie (aka Helen Marnie from the magnificent Ladytron) on accomplishing such a fantastic debut solo album.
I for one absolutely love it...I've just played it twice right through and when I got to the end I still wanted to hear more. And there aren't many current albums I can say that about!
Being a fan of electronica I don't have a lot to rave over these days(Karl Bartos, OMD and Pet Shop Boys new albums apart) so 'Crystal World' is a more than welcome arrival.
Opener 'The Hunter' sets the mood straight away and is typically catchy yet somehow melancholic...perhaps we could call this melantronica?
'Hearts On Fire' is in a similar vein though Track 4 'Violet Affair' has a kind of 60s/70s beat.
Two tracks later we have 'Sugarland' with its wonderfully 'wonky synth' vibe running through it, followed by 'High Road', which to my ears sounds like a John Barry film-score at times despite being lyrically inferior to the majority of tracks.
'Laura' is cloaked in a much darker veil, though still manages to feature seaside organ sounding synths.
Brace yourselves now though as Track 9 is the impossible to put down 'Submariner' which is a bright and breezy up tempo number (with added melancholy for good measure). What sets it apart however is the utterly brilliant synth melody that makes its entry at the beginning only to reappear in all its glory to completely take over the final three and a half minutes...clearly Marnie and her cohorts loved it as much as I do and didn't want it to stop!
Then we have the final offering 'Gold'...quite simply a beautifully orchestrated song with a piano and synths providing a perfect backdrop for that Marnie voice to truly shine...oh! and it's all wrapped up by a lovely little melancholic synth outro.
Can't wait for the next one!

Cricket's Greatest Rivalry (Free Chapter): A History of the Ashes in 10 Matches
Cricket's Greatest Rivalry (Free Chapter): A History of the Ashes in 10 Matches

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Like Being There, 25 Jun 2013
With his always intelligent views and amazing ability to transport you back to past Ashes battles with his well chosen words this taster from one of TV's top sports pundits is the perfect aperitif to what every Englishman hopes will be a successful season
Well done Mr Hughes...now can someone buy me this for Xmas please?

Below Mercury
Below Mercury
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY OUT OF THIS WORLD!, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: Below Mercury (Kindle Edition)
Had me hooked from beginning to end...near future realistic sci fi at it's very best. Will be looking out for this outstanding author's planned sequel & prequel.

The Works
The Works
Price: 5.84

5.0 out of 5 stars ATTENTION! ALL LOVERS OF QUALITY MUSIC, 26 May 2013
This review is from: The Works (Audio CD)
This great value collection is a wonderful showcase of the mega talented Ultravox frontman's solo output.
All the hits are here...plus many more classic album tracks that highlight just what a remarkable musician this likeable Glaswegian truly is.
Mainly known as a "synth" star of the 80's "The Works" provides undeniable proof that Midge is also one of the finest exponents of an electric guitar...witness the brilliant solo in "Dear God".
Fantastic stuff from a true icon!

Concerning a Lake
Concerning a Lake
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars SHORT BUT MEMORABLE, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Concerning a Lake (Kindle Edition)
Although this short story was over far too soon, I loved the scenario of a lake with something nasty lurking in its depths (Think Loch Ness with a twist!). This was a well written piece and painted a perfect picture of a place that has cropped up any number of times in US movies or Stephen Kingesque novels.
Definitely worth a read if you like the above or similar.

Page: 1 | 2