Profile for Ben Venus > Reviews

Ben Venus (HERTS, UK)

Sailor Song
Sailor Song
by Ken Kesey

1.0 out of 5 stars a hangover without the bonhomie of the night before, 16 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Sailor Song (Paperback)
I recently awoke during the night and felt the effects of a good boozy night of bonhomie with my mates. Uncomfortable and with an ill sense I noted the same in my emotional reaction to this book. It feels wrong, it does not fit, something is askew; there is a lack of direction, meaning and perhaps above all, an absence of soul. Perhaps the skill of the author in evoking such a place should be credited for this reaction. To me it was a hangover without the bonhomie of the night before, and I ask why.

The Complete Richard Hannay: "The Thirty-Nine Steps","Greenmantle","Mr Standfast","The Three Hostages","The Island of Sheep"
by John Buchan

5.0 out of 5 stars These Buchan works should be heralded more loudly, 16 Nov. 2009
Pure adventure, the Buchan style is so easy to read and enjoy, a simplicity that might be innocence, writing mastery or both. These Buchan works should be heralded more loudly, I could have missed them and that would have been a shame. I am a man that was once a boy, if you are alike then you will delight.

The Soul Of A Butterfly
The Soul Of A Butterfly
by Hana Yasmeen Ali

5.0 out of 5 stars The real champion is the man., 16 Nov. 2009
It is easy to understand how a man becomes a living legend when the often grim realities of the world are overcome by the cherished combination of courage and conviction borne from within. The real champion is the man.

My Early Life
My Early Life
by Sir Winston S. Churchill

5.0 out of 5 stars My search for heroes has been embellished by this read., 16 Nov. 2009
This review is from: My Early Life (Paperback)
I brought the book because it was about a bloke that lived in the world 50 years ago and who is still regarded today; I hoped to learn something. What I read was a narration straight from the axis of the adventure/thriller genre that usually occupies my attention. And it was real. And it was thrilling. And I learnt something about conviction and courage. My search for heroes has been embellished by this read.

Count of Monte Christo (Cass) Dumas, Alexandre
Count of Monte Christo (Cass) Dumas, Alexandre

5.0 out of 5 stars gem of human understanding, 1 Sept. 2006
Are you kidding me that nobody else has reviwed this incredibly touching book? It is strong enough to make you feel real joy for the emerging hero's early triumps; then cry when they are dashed with such force to the lowest depths conceiveable; before from despair our hero emancipates himself and we will him to retribution which is lovingly dished out. Buy it and make time to enjoy.