Profile for Eva E. > Reviews

Sense & Sensibility : Complete BBC Series [2008] [DVD]
Sense & Sensibility : Complete BBC Series [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charity Wakefield

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but lacking some substance., 15 Jan. 2008
It was with some trepidation that I sat down to watch yet another Austen adaptation. I have to say, though, I did enjoy watching this. It is beautifully filmed in stunning locations, and is a gentle, relaxing way of spending an evening.

I have watched the 1995 film many times, so having new faces to the characters was odd at first. In some cases I grew to prefer the new cast, although I still missed a few of the familiar faces. It was nice to have a younger cast. Charity Wakefield played Marianne well, although I felt there wasn't nearly as much sense of heartbreak as there was in the 1995 version. However, I did like the way we could see Marianne beginning to fall for Colonel Brandon, unlike the film, where she just seems to end up with him.

Hattie Morohan's performance as Elinor was also excellent, although, as with Marianne's part, I felt like her seperation from Edward was more of an inconvenience than the loss of a love. My favorite performance wasn't one of the major characters, but Janet McTeer as Mrs Dashwood. I thought she played her part absolutely perfectly. David Morrissey also deserves a mention for his very convincing portrayal of Colonel Brandon, Alan Rickman's shoes are hard to fill, but Morrissey has managed to make the part his own. I didn't like Willoughby in this version. He wasn't remotely dashing, as Willoughby really ought to be. Also, Mrs Jennings was far too quiet and not nearly as gossipy and teasing as Austen so cleverly wrote her.

This adaptation is effectively a longer version of the film. Sometimes this is a good thing, giving more depth into scenes that were skimmed over in the film. Some of the lengthened scenes, however, don't add anything to the overall story, there was the scene with a duel for instance, tacked onto the start of an episode and never mentioned again. To what end? I did like this, and will probably watch it again at some point, but whenever I feel the urge to watch Sense & Sensibility I have a feeling I'll be reaching for the 1995 film, with its wonderful emotional rollercoaster ride, rather than this (albeit very pretty) fluffiness.

Overall this is definitely worth watching, but feels as though it's lacking something...

Moleskine Ruled Notebook (13 x 21cm)
Moleskine Ruled Notebook (13 x 21cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful books to collect your thoughts., 28 Nov. 2007
When I first bought a Moleskine notebook I was more than a little hesitant due to the price, which was at least twice as much as I would normally spend on a notebook. However, as soon as I started using it I fell well and truly in love and have been recommending them to friends ever since.

These notebooks are made from quality materials and the paper is a joy to write on. I always write with liquid ink pens, including dipped nib pens on occasion and, even though the paper is fairly thin, I have never had the ink seep through. The hardcover opens fully and stays open easily without cracking or bending, allowing for easy writing without obstuction and without damaging the book. The pocket of my notebook is always in constant use, I'm not sure how I ever survived without it. The lines in the ruled notebooks are the perfect size for my writing, small but not too tiny, and they go all the way from one side of the paper to the other without annoying margins to try and control where you write.

I now have a growing collection of various Moleskine notebooks but my original is still in frequent use and, despite being carried around in my bag almost daily for just over a year, it still looks in almost as perfect condition as the day I bought it, with only the tiniest bit of cracking at the top of the spine that has appeared in the last month or so. The rest of my (scarily large) collection of beautiful notebooks is now a backup to my trusty Moleskines. I will be using these books for many many years to come.

I have to admit that the price still makes me wince a little, but now I look at it as an investment and a treat to myself. Some people buy DVDs, I buy notebooks, it's all a matter of perspective, and in my view this is worth the money by far.

Anne of Green Gables & Anne of Avonlea (Children's Classics)
Anne of Green Gables & Anne of Avonlea (Children's Classics)
by Lucy Montgomery

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of dreams and delights., 14 Jun. 2007
I hope you have already experienced this book yourself, but if you haven't I can only begin to tell you how wonderful it is, the rest you will have to discover for yourself.

I grew up reading it, loving the fact that year after year I could watch Anne growing up, just like I was. I always wanted to be just like her and, to tell the truth, I still do! She is the sweetest, loveliest character ever to grace the pages of any book. She is bubbly, imaginative and irrepressible, and always positive no matter what the situation may be. This book shows her through the highs and lows of her childhood after coming to live with the Cuthberts.

I picked the book up the other day after many years of not reading it, semi-expecting that my memory of it would be better than the book actually is. By the end of the first page I was enthralled once more by this beautiful, sparkling world of fun, imagination, minor catastrophes ("always look before you leap, especially into spare room beds") and the sweet innocence of times gone by. The writing is so flowing and touching that no matter how many times I read it and think I'm immune, it still manages to make me laugh out loud, both at the whole story, and at the lovely little hidden touches of humour that I missed while reading it as a child, and also cry buckets when the situation calls for it.

This is a book that everyone should read and have as part of their childhood, or indeed adulthood. It's certainly one that I'll never stop reading.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2014 2:08 PM BST

Women Who Run With The Wolves: Contacting the Power of the Wild Woman
Women Who Run With The Wolves: Contacting the Power of the Wild Woman
by Clarissa Pinkola Estes

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasured book of loving wisdom, 21 May 2007
When I turned thirteen my mum gave me a copy of this book, telling me, "This is a book that no woman should be without." I was thrilled with having a "grown-up" book, and treasured it. It took me several years to understand it enough to read beyond the wonderful stories...but then one day I started reading and it all just clicked. I couldn't put it down and it has been my constant companion ever since.

This is a beautifully written book made up of many stories, some well-known and others less so, explanations of these stories and what they can teach us about ourselves and advice on how to implement these insights for the maximum feeling of freedom and happiness in our everyday life. This book has helped me through many times when I was in need of comfort and strength and will help me through more to come.

Whether reading the stories or the interpretations of them, it is like reading pure poetry. Clarissa Estes speaks with wisdom about things that she has obviously spent her life studying and learning.

One reviewer talked about this as being a book for man-haters. I have been reading it for well over 10 years now and I never ever got that impression. I don't see why glorifying the feminine has to equal hating the masculine. For me this book is about feeling more empowered in myself as a woman, and not anything to do with the putting down of men.

I have recommended it to many friends, as well as buying it for one (who loves it as much as I do), and I am planning on giving it to more friends soon. Give yourself a treat and buy it today, it's a purchase that will last you a lifetime.

The 1000 Journals Project
The 1000 Journals Project
by Kevin Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 20 May 2007
This is a beautiful, beautiful book. I picked it up curiously in a bookstore the other day and from the moment I opened it I was hooked. I sat in the store for two hours looking through the whole thing from cover to cover.

It is full of glimpses into peoples lives, views of their joys and sorrows and their amazing creativity. There are all types of creations, some very simple, and some that are incredibly intricate and detailed, the one thing they have in common is that they are all stunning.

This is a book I am going to be buying for myself as soon as I can. It is pure inspiration.

Trust SP-3600A 28W 2.1 Speaker System
Trust SP-3600A 28W 2.1 Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money, 19 Feb. 2006
Wonderful speakers!! They've got to be the best in their price range...and probably better than many more expensive sets. We have a set of speakers downstairs for which we paid twice the amount as I did for these Trust speakers and there is no noticable difference in the sound quality.

I love how the towers are so easy to fit anywhere. They're slim and stylish, but with a good sturdy base, there's no danger of them falling over. The base unit has great full sound...

Our house now has three sets of these (one for each member of the family) and we recommend them to anyone looking for good speakers.

Page: 1 | 2