Profile for Bookworm > Reviews

Content by Bookworm

Bookworm

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Harry Banner in... Notice To Die (Harry Banner P.I. Book 1)
Harry Banner in... Notice To Die (Harry Banner P.I. Book 1)
Price: 0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Banner, 17 July 2012
This was a fun read. Harry Banner reminded me of the old TV show Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer. I found myself picturing Harry Banner looking just like Stacy Keach. It dives straight into the action so I raced through this in next to no time while sitting on the train. I guess this is what you call detective noir fiction, the likes of which you don't find much on bookshelves these days. This book had all the classic feel including the way that the main character Harry Banner is far from perfect. He's basically a bit of a washed up drunk who appears on the surface to be a tad inept, but underneath the scruffy exterior hides a very experienced detective who is actually one step ahead of the game (and the reader) most of the time. Most of the story sees him dealing with shady underworld characters with cool names like Smooth. There's plenty of action and a sprinkling of humour too.
If you enjoy detective noir fiction and want a quick easy read then this could be right up your street.

Stay [DVD]
Stay [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor
Offered by rsdvd
Price: 4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Stay, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Stay [DVD] (DVD)
Stay is a very unusual but also very interesting film. As others have said before you probably need to watch it several times to fully understand what's going on. I can't say I'm entirely sure what it was all about, but trying to figure it out as the story unfolded made it a very engaging film. The performances of Ewan McGregor and Ryan Gosling make the film very engrossing and the script keeps you on your toes and guessing how it's all going to turn out. Unfortunately the ending doesn't blow you away with any great revelation but it does have an emotional impact. In short, I didn't fully understand the ending but I liked it. This is worth a go if you want something a little bit different, but it requires concentration.

Moneyball [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Moneyball [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Price: 7.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 6 Feb 2012
Moneyball is based on a true story about a guy who used stats to turn around his baseball teams fortunes. Consequently there isn't a lot of action. There is however, a very good script penned by Aaron Sorkin who wrote the Social Network and the West Wing. And of course, there's Brad Pitt who is always very watchable. It doesn't have the zip and energy of The Social Network and is much slower paced, but it does have great moments of inspired dialogue and it's always interesting. Definitely worth watching.

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban [Blu-ray] [2004] [Region Free]
Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban [Blu-ray] [2004] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Prisoner of Azkaban, 27 Nov 2011
This is my favourite of the Harry Potter films. The director has made an excellent transition from kids film to more mature content and succeeded in setting the tone for the films that followed. As well as having an excellent plot this is in my opinion the film that holds the series together. Gary Oldman is excellent as Sirius Black and the three kids have all grown into their roles by this time. This would even make a great standalone film.

Devil [Blu-ray]
Devil [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Chris Messina
Price: 6.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Devil, 16 July 2011
This review is from: Devil [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I'd heard some bad things about this film so I was rather sceptical when I watched it. However, it held my attention from start to finish and I found it to be very entertaining. The basic premise that there are five people in an elevator and one of them is the Devil is fairly fresh. And in spite of the fact many of the bad reviews I read said it was obvious who the Devil was from the start, I'd have to be honest and say that I suspected each of the characters at one time or another during the film. At the end it would have been easy to say I knew it was X all along, but it would be a lie to say I was absolutely 100% certain, and that's what gives the film its tension, you can never be entirely sure you know what's going on. Devil has an interesting premise and some decent twists and at around 90 minutes it doesn't hang around long enough to get boring.
I definitely recommend giving this film a chance.

The Social Network (2-Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2011]
The Social Network (2-Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Jesse Eisenberg
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Social Network, 22 Feb 2011
I thought this was an excellent film. The characters are all very realistic, not necessarily as the person they are portraying but in the way they interact with each other. This is a classic example of how the dynamics of people's relationships change when suddenly they find themselves sitting on a gold mine. The acting is great, the dialogue impeccable and the soundtrack gives impetus to some of the slower sequences. Andrew Garfield's character is the only one who genuinely evokes any sympathy. The other characters aren't bad people particularly but they are fighting for something they believe is theirs and will do most anything for it, regardless of other people's feelings.
One of the most enjoyable intelligent films I've seen in a long time.

Expendables [Blu-ray]
Expendables [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Sylvester Stallone
Price: 5.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Expendables, 18 Oct 2010
This review is from: Expendables [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
On paper The Expendables looks like great fun. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would. It's not bad, but the plot is pretty weak and I found myself not really caring about any of the characters. Usually Stallone can take a simple plot and make it totally engrossing, the last Rambo film being a great example. This film however, lacks any standout dialogue and until the last half hour it doesn't really have that much action either. Dolph Lundgren is probably the best thing in it. It certainly has its moments and I would happily watch it again, but it wasn't as great as I'd hoped.

Law Abiding Citizen [Blu-ray]
Law Abiding Citizen [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler
Price: 5.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting mix, 15 Oct 2010
Law Abiding Citizen is quite an interesting film. It's loaded with action but also laced with heavy political viewpoints, presented from opposing sides. By the end of it, I wasn't quite sure what the message was exactly, but that made the film so much better because I didn't feel I was being preached to. If I have one complaint about the DVD it's that they've added in extra scenes that succeed only in slowing down the pace of the film. It's definitely worth a watch though because it has a lot of original moments in it.

Full Story Inside
Full Story Inside
by Steve Horsfall
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Story Inside, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Full Story Inside (Paperback)
I raced through this book in a few days. It's a decent conspiracy thriller with lots of short chapters which suited me down to the ground. There are a lot of characters but rather than detract from the story this simply added to it as I turned the pages scratching my head trying to work out who was good and who was bad. A good mix of action and careful plotting make this a great read.

Marley & Me [DVD]
Marley & Me [DVD]
Dvd ~ Owen Wilson
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good adaptation, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Marley & Me [DVD] (DVD)
As books to films go this is a good effort. Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston keep the film moving along for the first half hour, then the dog takes over. The dog in the film is just how I imagined him when I read the book. The most pleasing thing is that the ending is every bit as moving as the book. Make sure you've got the tissues ready!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3