Profile for Alireza > Reviews

Content by Alireza

Alireza

The Buzan Study Skills Handbook: The Shortcut to Success in Your Studies with Mind Mapping, Speed Reading and Winning Memory Techniques (Mind Set)
by Tony Buzan

4.0 out of 5 stars a bit of exaggerated claims but very good overall, 30 Dec 2009
It's a must book for all students at all levels. It includes important information such as when and how often to review the study material for the best retaining, how to read a book, how to mind map etc.

It does have exaggerated claims and a bit of hype too, I think. i.e. at the back of the book it says learn a technique to increase your vocab by 10,000 words. (an average person uses about 1,000 to 2,000 words in their regular vocab) What's the technique? Memorise the roots! it has a list of about 30 roots which are roots for 10,000 English words. Well...you are not going to know what all of those 10,000 words mean knowing 30 roots. Most of the roots you probably know anyway. (I am not a native speaker and I knew all of them!)

but overall it has many important points I wish I knew when I was a student. It can save you hours of pointless studying.

How to Pass Exams: Accelerate Your Learning - Memorise Key Facts - Revise Effectively
by Dominic OBrien
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 30 Dec 2009
Excellent book.The methods mentioned are so simple and practical. Buy Tony Buzan's "study skills" too.

Strengthsfinder 2.0: A New and Upgraded Edition of the Online Test from Gallup's Now Discover Your Strengths
by Tom Rath
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars must read if you don't know your strengths, 28 Nov 2009
the book's value is in it's password that lets you give the personality test that the Galup's institute has developed. It tells you which are your top 5 strength areas among 37 themes. I did the test, and was more than impressed. The test was so accurate that I was puzzled. Everything was true about me, especially the first 2 areas.

I bought this book 1 year ago. This book gave me guidelines for making choices regarding my career. so if you are not sure of your best area, and what you can excel at definitely buy this book and try the test.

I am buying 2 more for 2 friends :)