Profile for Martin Eden > Reviews

Content by Martin Eden

Martin Eden (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Searching for the Enemy
Searching for the Enemy
by Charlie Thornely

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!!!, 16 May 2012
Simply the most exciting voice in English poetry I've come across in a generation. This is a must buy for anyone interested in English verse.

Bad Ideas?: An arresting history of our inventions
Bad Ideas?: An arresting history of our inventions
by Professor Lord Robert Winston

5.0 out of 5 stars More Bad Ideas!, 25 Nov 2011
A wonderful book that is well worth reading! If you've enjoyed this you might also enjoy "Charcot's Bad Idea" by Simon Overton

Charcot's Bad Idea

Missed Diagnoses Myalgic Encephalomyelitis & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Second Edition
by Byron Hyde Md

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Expanded Edition!!!!, 6 Jun 2010
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Concise summary of real M.E., 24 Feb 2010
By mbiv (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Missed Diagnoses Myalgic Encephalomyelitis & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Paperback)
Well,if only the U.K NHS would take Byron Hyde as the starting point for appropriate treatment....ie a little gem that all sufferers of M.E.(not C.F.S)will find easy reading(as it tells it like it is).His matter- of- fact solid based writing comes from decades of treating patients.A book you could give to both medics.and the lay person.
Comment Comment

6 of 7 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars The best book available for diagnosis and treatment, 18 July 2009
By Martin Eden (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Byron Hyde writes:

Thirty years ago when a patient presented to a hospital clinic with unexplained fatigue, any
medical school physician would have told the students to search for an occult malignancy,
cardiac or other organ disease, or chronic infection. The concept that there is an entity called
chronic fatigue syndrome has totally altered that essential medical guideline. Patients are now
being diagnosed with CFS as though it were a disease. It is not. It is a patchwork of symptoms
that could mean anything. The original concepts of searching for occult disease are relevant to
patients presenting today with CFS, ME, and other fatiguing illnesses. Furthermore, because you
do not find pathology does not mean there is none. From 1985 until 1988, I investigated ME/CFS
patients in a manner that I thought was exhaustive. I found disease then in only about 10% to
20% of patients. Were the remaining 80% to 90% suffering from somatization, psychiatric
disease, or simply faking? No, the error of analysis was in my ability. After I met and received
training from specialists including Dr. Charles Poser, a neurologist at Harvard, Dr. John
Richardson in the United Kingdom, Dr. Jay Goldstein in Beverly Hills, and Dr. Ishmael Mena, at
the University of California-Los Angeles , my ability to diagnose a ME/CFS patient's disability
rose 50% to 80%. Today, I usually find the underlying measurable cause of disease in 70% to
80% of the patients that I investigate. Are the remaining 20% suffering from somatization or
psychiatric disease? I don't think so. I think I am simply missing the underlying diagnosis.
Why no voting buttons? We don't let customers vote on their own reviews, so the voting buttons appear only when you look at reviews submitted by others.
Comment Comment

3 of 4 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Giving Gp a copy, 9 Sep 2009
By Mrs. J. M. Mcgee (UK) - See all my reviews
How I wish I had had this information 18 years ago and then perhaps my daughter would not be so ill now due to the ignorance of hospital consultants.

Psychiatry: An evidence-based text (Hodder Arnold Publication)
Psychiatry: An evidence-based text (Hodder Arnold Publication)
by Prof. Basant Puri

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem- get ready for your MRCpsych exams and only need one book, 29 Mar 2010
I bought this book to revise a few basic concepts before applying for a liaison psychiatry post in Edinburgh. The interview panel will be chaired by Prof. Mike Sharpe who has a strong interest in Chronic Fatigue and other functional somatic complaints. I was therefore very, very pleased to find the chapter on ME/CFS in this book to be a real gem. Overall this is a superb book and I would recommend it to anyone studying for their MRCpsych exams. Indeed it is THE ONLY BOOK TO COVER THE ENTIRE SYLLABUS!!!

Missed Diagnoses Myalgic Encephalomyelitis & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Missed Diagnoses Myalgic Encephalomyelitis & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
by Byron Hyde MD

THIS BOOK IS NOW OUT OF PRINT- PLEASE SEE THE SECOND EDITION NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON

From Paralysis to Fatigue: A History of Psychosomatic Illness in the Modern Era
From Paralysis to Fatigue: A History of Psychosomatic Illness in the Modern Era
by Edward Shorter

1.0 out of 5 stars untrue, 18 Jan 2009
Byron Hyde (author of Missed Diagnoses): So how many patients have you examined?
Ed Shorter: None I'm a historian

I rest my case as to the validity of Shorter's argument, especially given that work into the autonomic nervous system is starting to uncover why patients with complaints such as ME are both "paralysed" AND fatigued (Abnormalities in pH handling by peripheral muscle and potential regulation by the autonomic nervous system in chronic fatigue syndrome
D. E. J. Jones1, K. G. Hollingsworth2, R. Taylor2, A. M. Blamire2, J. L. Newton1,3)

There simply isn't the movement that the title suggests.

The problem really is Shorter's approach is simply not scientific. Shorter to quote one leading expert on ME is a "nobody".

Migraine
Migraine
by Oliver Sacks

2.0 out of 5 stars Freudian trousers, 10 July 2008
This review is from: Migraine (Paperback)
Fascinating that Sacks should interpret headache, albeit its extreme form "migraine" in Freudian terms. At every turn Sacks fails to appreciate the charlatanism, self-promotion and downright lack of scientific method that lies at the heart of Freud's ideas whilst either implicitly or explicitly using them to interpret symptomatology. In modern neuroscience migraine aura and the fortification patterns can be understood as the brain abhorring a vacuum and sensory deprivation, filling the brain with random geometric shapes that adorn neolithic caves the world over. For Sacks the reality of the meaningless of these patterns and indeed the meaningless suffering migraine inflicts is absent. Instead these are deep seated primitive outbursts of repressed emotion that can only gain sense in the crazy mixed up world of Freud where even a ladder acquires priapic significance. Nor does Sacks appear as the sympathetic physician:

"This old description brings out the true depressive quality- the sense of hopelessness and permanence of misery- a reaction which is celarly far in excess of a realistic response to a short lived benign attack of which the patient has had innumerable experiences" (pg 26)

An engaging read, if only to see how much Freud pulls at the hem of Sacks's trousers so that every step is taken with the weight of the past and the plodding ridiculousness of pseudo-religious thought.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2014 2:15 PM GMT

Overcoming Chronic Fatigue: A Books on Prescription Title (Overcoming Books)
Overcoming Chronic Fatigue: A Books on Prescription Title (Overcoming Books)
by Mary Burgess

1.0 out of 5 stars Big mistake, 24 Sep 2007
Too much rest!!! I was diagnosed with ME by Prof. T Daymond and Dr B. Hyde. I have a history of brain dysfunction after climbing at altitude in the alps and the Tien Shan. Like most people with ME fatigue is not my prime symptom. I am now waiting to see a neurologist as the thinking is that my exercise regime has caused hypoxic brain damage. This book is best avoided and the nightingale definition of ME used instead for diagnosis and treatment.

Coping with Chronic Fatigue (Overcoming common problems)
Coping with Chronic Fatigue (Overcoming common problems)
by Trudie Chalder

1.0 out of 5 stars Cerebral Hypoxia and spasticity, 15 Sep 2007
I followed all the advice in this book. I was really positive. In truth I completely ignored my illness and went climbing in the Tien Shan, the Alps and locally in Cumbria. After each exertion I suffered an increase in spasticity and other severe neurological symptoms. I am now told that the initial viral infection has caused permanent damage to my autonomic nervous system. When I was first ill I was told it was "all in the mind", the approach advocated by Ms. Chalder. Now I have had surgery in the form of a sacral nerve stimulator. I am also waiting to see a neurologist as my consultant feels my happy go lucky approach to exercise coupled with my postural orthostatic tachycardia is causing hypoxia in my brain and this explains my problems with spasticity.

This may well be the most dangerous book on ME/CFS ever written. Charles Poser, the notable Harvard Neurologist defines ME as a vasculomyelinopathy. Chalder completely trivialises a potentially serious disease that if treated in the manner Chalder suggests can cause permanent damage to the brain. Read Byron Hyde's definition of ME, it will guide your physicians in identifying pathology and ultimately help you get appropriate treatment. Otherwise read the book and be ill and happy rather than happy and well.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2011 12:48 PM GMT

The Clinical and Scientific Basis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis--Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
by Jay A. Goldstein

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on ME, 27 July 2007
This is one of the best books ever written on ME. Well worth buying for your doctor and your MP.

Page: 1 | 2