Profile for A. R. Jacubs > Reviews

Content by A. R. Jacubs

A. R. Jacubs (Kent, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Canon 15 x 50 Image Stabilising All Weather Binoculars with Neck Strap & Case
Canon 15 x 50 Image Stabilising All Weather Binoculars with Neck Strap & Case
Price: 879.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational binoculars., 14 Jan 2014
Last year I purchased two pairs of binoculars both of which I would describe as superb. One was a Helios Quantum 4 15X70 and the other a Strathspey waterproof 10X50. The Helios are utterly amazing with the 70mm objective lens giving a great 4.5 field of view. The Stratspey's have terrific lenses and I find them so handy for carrying around in general use. However because of their weight the Helios bins must be tripod mounted which is not as easy as it sounds. Anyone who has done this will know that when trying to look at the night sky above say 60 degrees from the horizontal you need a tripod of about 8 feet high. You just cannot get under them to see high in the sky objects. So I decided to lash out and buy a pair of Canon image stabilised binoculars. After reading many opinions and reviews I came to the conclusion that as astronomy will be their main use I would be best served with a pair of 15X50's. What a surprise I had in store when I first looked through them. The moon was just over first quarter and after using them without the stabilisation which was great anyway I turned on the stabiliser button and after one second the night sky stood still! I am 80 years of age and my hands are far from steady but these bins took me back to the days when I had rock steady hands. Yes they are fairly heavy at just over a kilogram but with the neck strap fitted (very necessary) and sitting in a small patio chair I could gaze at the visible universe for as long as I wished.

I have to say that if it is possible to set up my Helios 15X70's on a tripod to look at a given part of the sky the view is even more fantastic. However with all the trouble to assemble them and a large amount of the night sky unavailable because of the limitations I have mentioned the Canons come into their own with no trouble at all. A press of the button and the stabilisation lasts for 5 minutes or if you wish you can turn them off with a further press.

These binoculars are truly sensational and if you can raise the money (search the internet for the lowest price) you will I am sure not have wasted your money.

2x PLASTIC FLY INSECT WASP DOOR CURTAIN BLINDS STRIPS
2x PLASTIC FLY INSECT WASP DOOR CURTAIN BLINDS STRIPS
Offered by san direct
Price: 7.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Too thin., 3 Jan 2014
Why oh why have they gone to all the trouble to manufacture this curtain blind and used such thin plastic? My previous two curtains have lasted about ten years each and were at least twice the thickness. It curls up at the bottom edges which are difficult to flatten. Another quid on each curtain would surely have made them quite useful. As they are they cover my conservatory door but won't last the year out. Shame.

Sylglas AT75 Aluminium Tape Roll 4m x 75mm
Sylglas AT75 Aluminium Tape Roll 4m x 75mm
Price: 14.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Dec 2013
I first used this tape back in the early sixties!! It was marvellous then and has not changed a bit. I sealed a leak in my conservatory roof just before the recent storms and it kept every drop of wind blown rain out. This really must be the best water and weatherproof tape on the market anywhere. If you have a leak anywhere or want to seal anything, use it!!

HoMedics SP-39H-GB Deluxe Shiatsu Massage Cushion
HoMedics SP-39H-GB Deluxe Shiatsu Massage Cushion
Offered by U Stores
Price: 59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's only just okay., 31 Dec 2013
I bought this to help (I hoped) my at times painful upper back. It has not done that. This may be because I am using it wrongly but I have tried various methods. This may not be fair because other people with different problems may well find it of great help. The one thing I would warn against is over use or pressing to hard against it. As for replacing my now retired wonderful osteopath forget it!! It was worth a try and I will use it from time to time but only for short spells. It just depends on the user's problem so if you can afford it give it a try.

Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD]
Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Hamm
Price: 19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite TV series., 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
Although Season 6 is not as good as earlier seasons it still excites. Attention to detail as well as the acting is superb. What more can I say? It is the best money I have spent on DVD's. I look forward to Season 7 which I hear sadly is to be the last. If you are into watching post war period films/series then this is a must. I lived and worked through this period in central London and so much of the period is reproduced brilliantly. It's a pity to see so much smoking but that's what so many of us did then. Great entertainment.

Body-Tec Medical Grade Thumb Splint / Support /Brace All Sizes Available. (Black, X large 21.3-23.5cm)
Offered by pro-active
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate!, 31 Dec 2013
I have arthritis in my thumbs especially my right one. This splint has helped whenever I have a bad day. It gives good support, is easy to use and worth every penny. I have had other types but they are all inferior to this one. I recommend it to everyone who has strained or painful thumbs.

Visionary Heavy Duty Black Metal Binocular Tripod Adaptor - Standard 1/4
Visionary Heavy Duty Black Metal Binocular Tripod Adaptor - Standard 1/4
Offered by Dragonfly Optical
Price: 5.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best., 31 Dec 2013
I have used Opticron in the past and bought this because I hoped it would secure my binoculars to my tripod more strongly. I fear it didn't. No matter how tight the knob is turned the binoculars still moved freely. The Opticrons are not perfect but do tighten better. It would be OK for a small to medium camera or small binoculars.

Yorkshire Terriers 2014 Wall
Yorkshire Terriers 2014 Wall
by BrownTrout
Edition: Calendar
Price: 8.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Calendar., 31 Dec 2013
I have had one of these calendars for several years and put all my coming arrangements, visitors etc on them in bright ink. Never miss one now!! They are well made and excellent value.

Bahlsen Mini Choco Leibniz 125 g (Pack of 12)
Bahlsen Mini Choco Leibniz 125 g (Pack of 12)
Price: 13.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little biscuits!, 31 Dec 2013
These small delightful choccy biscuits came well packed and promptly. Bought chiefly for my wife who can't resist them I must confess to sneaking a packet for myself occasionally!!

Opteka TS-1 TacShot Pistol Grip Ball Head with Quick Release Plate for Tripods & Monopods
Offered by 47th Street Photo
Price: 24.71

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a pity., 11 Dec 2013
On unpacking this pistol grip ball head seemed to be excellent value for money. It looked well constructed and although made of a lot of plastic it felt reasonably strong. Mounted on my monopod for the purpose of using my excellent Strathspey 10X50 binoculars it worked well for several outings (in my garden!) and I was very pleased I had not spent a lot more cash. However after a short while I guess the inevitable happened - the small quick release lever broke clean off from the screw holding it to the release plate. I have read at least one other person say the same thing happened to them. It is such a pity because the pistol grip works well and makes aiming a camera or binoculars very easy. It is easy to say "you gets what you pay for" and it is true but if only the manufacturers had secured the QR lever in a more substantial way this would be a 4 star rating. To those who already have one in working order I would say be very careful how you secure and release the lever. You may just be able to keep the grip going longer. I will now do as I was intending to in the first place - buy a conventional ball head.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8