Profile for A. R. Jacubs > Reviews

Content by A. R. Jacubs

A. R. Jacubs (Kent, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest [DVD] [2010]
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace
Offered by MusicnMedia

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it., 5 April 2014
After reading the trilogy I find it difficult to watch the films but given the length of the film it was reasonably well done and quite exciting. However the characters differed from my imagination of them to some degree. I did not think Noomi Rapace was a particularly good choice for Lisbeth Salander. I felt she was made to look much weirder than in the book. I also felt that both Lisbeth and her friend Plague were underused with relation to their extraordinary talents involving computers. This was the basis of the books without which there would have been no story. Having said all that and considering the difficulties of making a film from a book, I still enjoyed it. One final point though - the ending was different than the book. Lisbeth invited Blomkvist in for coffee and bagels.

TENA Bed Basic 60x90cm (1500ml) - Pack of 30
TENA Bed Basic 60x90cm (1500ml) - Pack of 30
Offered by Drylife

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made., 5 April 2014
These bed protectors are well made and serve their purpose very well. I can thoroughly recommend them to anyone and everyone.

Abri-Bag Zip Bags (26x38cm) Pack of 10
Abri-Bag Zip Bags (26x38cm) Pack of 10
Offered by Choice Shops Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 5 April 2014
These disposable bags are strong and have a very efficient zip fastening. They are a boon for disposing of personal trash. I thoroughly recommend them.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo [DVD] [2011]
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty dreadful., 3 April 2014
The Millenium Trilogy were three of the very best books I have read. This film struggles to come even close to the original story. To add to the film's problems I found the dreadful "music" - well - dreadful. I had to turn up the volume to here a fraction of the dialogue and then I was deafened by the background racket. What is the possible point of that? The acting looked fair for an American effort at a foreign plot but if the movie was anything like the DVD I cannot imagine how long it must have taken the audience to recover their hearing. I have now purchased the other two films which are of course the Swedish originals. Even with subtitles or dubbing they have to be better than this noisy and disjointed film.

Mens Socks Uwear® Sherbourne Warm Micro Fleece Lined Padded Check Winter Shirt
Mens Socks Uwear® Sherbourne Warm Micro Fleece Lined Padded Check Winter Shirt
Offered by Socks Uwear®

5.0 out of 5 stars Great winter shirt., 3 April 2014
I can now personally vouch for this shirt. It is extremely warm and very comfortable to wear. It has been ideal in the very cold weather during the past winter although to be honest I have known colder ones! This shirt obviates the need for much over clothing except a light coat when going outside. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone requiring an easy to wear, warm and easy to wash winter shirt.

Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloths - foil pouch
Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloths - foil pouch
Offered by BIC WAREHOUSE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., 10 Feb 2014
These cloths have been highly recommended by so many people on both sides of the Atlantic and I am pleased to add my name to the list. They will not remove deep scratches from stainless steel watch cases but will remove the shallow ones with persistent polishing. It is so worth the effort of perhaps half an hours work to see ones' watch looking like new again. Please remember though that the cloths are very greasy so I used cotton buds rubbed on the cloth and then on my watch. You will be surprised how much dirt comes off the stainless steel. Don't use it on plated watches though. Just couple this with a PolyWatch polish of the watch crystal and the results are complete.

Poly Watch scratch removal paste 5 ml
Poly Watch scratch removal paste 5 ml
Offered by A&M Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., 10 Feb 2014
This is a first rate product that does exactly what it says. Just a really small amount squeezed onto the centre of the watch crystal (plastic face cover) then rubbed into and all around with some pressure and followed by a polish with a clean soft cloth such as a microfibre one and the results are fantastic. A lot of what we think are marks on the watch dial are in fact reflections of scratches on the crystal. I recommend this to all watch wearers.

Hahnel BH-40 360 Degree Panoramic Rotation Quick Release Ball Head
Hahnel BH-40 360 Degree Panoramic Rotation Quick Release Ball Head

4.0 out of 5 stars Is doing the job., 10 Feb 2014
I purchased one of the pistol grip ball heads which broke almost immediately (see my comments). This however is a far stronger ball joint and is so far working very well. I use it for mounting a pair of heavy 15X70 binoculars on a monopod and it seems to take the weight with no trouble (so far!!). It seems well made with strong adjustable securing knobs. I will update this comment later when I have used it more in the hoped for better weather!

Leather Emporium Mens New Black Soft Leather Driving Gloves 8922 - Extra Large
Leather Emporium Mens New Black Soft Leather Driving Gloves 8922 - Extra Large
Offered by GorgeousThings

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice gloves - poor stitching., 10 Feb 2014
I purchased a pair of these gloves 10 days ago and have worn them for driving locally about 6 or 7 times. They are made of beautifully comfortable soft leather and have a warm lining. However (there is so often a however or a but) there is a major problem with the stitching. On both gloves the stitches on the rear of the thumb have split and the leather is rapidly opening up. This is not because the gloves are a size too small in fact they are a tad too large which is OK for me. The problem appears to be that the gloves are badly proportioned. The leather is too tight around the thumb area and generous elsewhere. I must also add that the micro stitching is showing signs of breaking at other places such as the 3 rows on the glove backs. The stitching is obviously done by machine and the thread used is far too small and not strong enough. This is all such a pity as the gloves are so comfortable, I am going to attempt to over sow the weak point otherwise I will purchase one of the more expensive pairs sold here - which in hindsight I should have done in the first place.

Canon 15 x 50 Image Stabilising All Weather Binoculars with Neck Strap & Case
Canon 15 x 50 Image Stabilising All Weather Binoculars with Neck Strap & Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational binoculars., 14 Jan 2014
Last year I purchased two pairs of binoculars both of which I would describe as superb. One was a Helios Quantum 4 15X70 and the other a Strathspey waterproof 10X50. The Helios are utterly amazing with the 70mm objective lens giving a great 4.5 field of view. The Stratspey's have terrific lenses and I find them so handy for carrying around in general use. However because of their weight the Helios bins must be tripod mounted which is not as easy as it sounds. Anyone who has done this will know that when trying to look at the night sky above say 60 degrees from the horizontal you need a tripod of about 8 feet high. You just cannot get under them to see high in the sky objects. So I decided to lash out and buy a pair of Canon image stabilised binoculars. After reading many opinions and reviews I came to the conclusion that as astronomy will be their main use I would be best served with a pair of 15X50's. What a surprise I had in store when I first looked through them. The moon was just over first quarter and after using them without the stabilisation which was great anyway I turned on the stabiliser button and after one second the night sky stood still! I am 80 years of age and my hands are far from steady but these bins took me back to the days when I had rock steady hands. Yes they are fairly heavy at just over a kilogram but with the neck strap fitted (very necessary) and sitting in a small patio chair I could gaze at the visible universe for as long as I wished.

I have to say that if it is possible to set up my Helios 15X70's on a tripod to look at a given part of the sky the view is even more fantastic. However with all the trouble to assemble them and a large amount of the night sky unavailable because of the limitations I have mentioned the Canons come into their own with no trouble at all. A press of the button and the stabilisation lasts for 5 minutes or if you wish you can turn them off with a further press.

These binoculars are truly sensational and if you can raise the money (search the internet for the lowest price) you will I am sure not have wasted your money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8