ARRAY(0xaaff9d5c)

The Kitchen House
by Kathleen Grissom
Price: 9.92

5.0 out of 5 stars blew me away, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Kitchen House (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read a few reviews of this book before I made the decision to get this. And am I glad I went with my gut. Some reviews have stated that this has far too many stereotypes but I disagree. This is a book about the deep South before the Civil War during the times of slaves and land owners and everything in between. It's gritty, realistic, beautifully written, poignant and so very harsh. Mixed race relationships, wives and mistresses, black and white, growing up with the mistaken beliefs... Riveting, riveting, riveting and you are missing out if you don't go out and get this now.

My Notorious Life by Madame X
My Notorious Life by Madame X
by Kate Manning
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars un-put-down-able, 27 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unflinching. Absorbing. And an incredible view of life for women and orphans especially in 19C America. Make sure you have a long weekend set aside to devote to reading this cover to cover in one go.

Escape
Escape
by Perihan Magden
Price: 7.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Escape (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Have you read Room? This is like that but on the outside and, if you can believe it, on a whole different plane of suspense, language, emotion and story. I was absorbed by their story and couldn't wait to get to the end... and there lay the problem. I personally did not enjoy the ending. I thought it too abrupt and disappointing. The characters appear to be mythical, other-worldly types from a different time and then as the story goes on, it takes on a very different and very dark edge.

I cannot talk about this anymore without giving away even an inkling of the story but my goodness you need to read this.

Tacwise HD-73 73/12mm Heavy Duty Plier Bundle Staples (5 Boxes of 5000)
Tacwise HD-73 73/12mm Heavy Duty Plier Bundle Staples (5 Boxes of 5000)
Price: 48.95

3.0 out of 5 stars functional, 27 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So the bundles of staples are solid and functional and work well with stapling cardboard and material together which was what i used it for so there you go! Not a lot i can say apart from, it works :)

Lacrimosa
Lacrimosa
by Regis Jauffret
Price: 8.55

3.0 out of 5 stars hmm., 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Lacrimosa (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are a fan of Satre and existentialism and appreciate metaphysical poetry I think you may still find this a bit... without. I found Lacrimosa hard going and full of itself. Would I recommend it? If you were a fan of specific varieties of literature then maybe. If you wanted something that was just a beautiful story, skip this one.

The Reluctant Cannibals
The Reluctant Cannibals
by Ian Flitcroft
Price: 3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars This book defines dark humour!, 2 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
(This review does not contain any plot spoilers)
I chose this book with not some trepidation. Cannibalism, or to use the formal word as per Professor Plantagenet: anthropophagy is not a topic that many (or any to my very limited knowledge) authors would treat lightly. But Flintcroft has created a piece of literature that is as full of the most delicious bon mots as it is a showcase of that most wonderful English trait - eccentricity. Now maybe it's just me and the fact that I can take social mores out of the equation but, I actually did find myself considering the request put forward to the Shadow Faculty of Gastronomic Science from a purely scientific and gastronomical perspective.. and that's all I am going to say about the premise for fear of taking anything away from your reading pleasure! Flintcroft's writing is a combination of Heston Blumenthal's scientific culinary wizardry coupled with the comedic style of P.G. Wodehouse with the most delicious language used by those ultimate echelons of academia - the Oxford Professors.
Don't read this if you have a weak stomach. Do read this if you are irreverent, appreciate a profoundly dark sense of humour and adore a book with the most delicious mastery of the English Language.

The Book of You
The Book of You
by Claire Kendal
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I never want to leave the house again after reading this., 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Book of You (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Clarissa is complex, flawed, scared, frail. But as scared as she is, as terrified as she is, Clarissa is such a fighter and so definitely not a victim despite the horrific mental brutality and torture that she goes through. It happens slowly, stealthily. Like the stalker. Before you know it, you are panicking. You are telling her not to walk down that street alone. You're waiting with bated breath to see if he'll be there. If he knows where she's going when she breaks from routine. And then, it explodes and you are absorbed, caught in the surprise and the suffocation of shock of.... read the book to find out!

This was the most absorbing book that I have read in a very long time. I cannot recommend it enough. I wasn't entirely convinced but good golly the writing is fantastic. Punchy, succinct and prosaic when it should be. Harsh, acerbic, bitter, gentle and sweet when it can be. Claire Kendal's debut is bewitching and I for one am waiting with serious anticipation for her next gem.

Before We Met
Before We Met
by Lucie Whitehouse
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars only read this if you can spare the time to read it in one go!, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Before We Met (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit, I had never read anything by Lucie Whitehouse before. After this, I will be collecting all her previous and every single one thereafter. The tension was palpable from the airport ...and that's all I'm going to give away. The twists and plot thickeners were fast, furious and kept you on your feet. On the one hand you do feel sorry for the protagonist but, on the other you do want to slap her and ask her what she was thinking! I have, possibly unfairly, given this 4 stars because I was comparing it to Gone Girl and found it wanting, but, it did hold my attention and keep me reading deep into the night because I did not want to put this down.

A great read and one to be cherished on a sofa, with a cup of tea on a dark and stormy night.

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley
Price: 1.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but ..., 6 Jan 2014
I deeply adore Pride and Prejudice so it was with not a little trepidation that I read this and true to form, I was disappointed. It is unrealistic to expect that the writing would be akin to Austen but to be so far from the mark was disappointing. But maybe the problem was me. Austen's writing is positive and always unfailingly cheerful even with her slightly "darker" works and she would have never written about murder or death so that should have been my first clue. The idiom was also too modern - I felt - and not even slightly akin to the era (like the Brontes).
From a story telling perspective, it was very good and well thought out. For Austen fans though, I wouldn't recommend this.

The Prodigal Son
The Prodigal Son
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Colleen McCullough and the Delmonico Series - a serious addiction, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Prodigal Son (Kindle Edition)
I chanced upon a Delmonico novel back in September and from that moment, I was hooked. It was gripping and exciting and I never guessed who the "whodunit" was! The writing is beautiful - as you would expect from the author of Thorn Birds - and the story flows far too seamlessly for me to put the book down and do anything else. It is a masterful suspense thriller and the 50s and 60s setting is given added gravitas by regaling situations that were specific to the time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4