Profile for mrs waters > Reviews

The Given Day
The Given Day
by Dennis Lehane

5.0 out of 5 stars It has everything and more, 18 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Given Day (Hardcover)
I am a fan of Dennis Lehanes books when I heard about his new book I was unsure whether it was for me, The Boston Police Strike and Baseball. I had read a few reviews and thought I would give it a go. I am so pleased I did. The story revolves around three main characters. Luther Lawrence(black petty criminal), Danny Coughlin (Irish Police Officer) and Babe Ruth. The history and detail was outstanding I did not realise so much was happening in 1917-19 in America especially Boston. I found myself using wikipedia to firstly find out if these thing really happened also to find out more details. I did not want the book to end I started rationing myself chapters because I could have easily polished of the book in a few sittings. I only hope Mr Lehane hurries up and writes some more books soon as i am getting withdrawl symptoms. Recommended enjoy

Child 44
Child 44
by Tom Rob Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing change, 5 Aug 2008
This review is from: Child 44 (Hardcover)
Child 44 is the story of 1953 Soviet Union and Officer Leo Demidov who is suprised to hear that a young boy's murder is covered up. Leo is obliged to obey but something in him knows there is more. The Ministry threaten Leo and exile him to the Ural Mountains only for him to realise that the crime has happened here too.

This is a great easy to read book that I found a refreshing change. I would recommend this book even though some of the twists are abit obvious it did not matter. I look forward to more from this author.

The Return
The Return
by Victoria Hislop

3.0 out of 5 stars sadly disappointing, 2 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Return (Hardcover)
I was really looking forward to this book as i enjoyed The Island sooooo much. At my local Library this book has 50 reservations waiting so i was pleased i was one of the first to receive the book. The story is a about a modern day women who travels to Spain with her friend because of her love of dance, whilst there she makes friends with an elderly bar owner who tells her the story of one family who were effected by the Civil War. I enjoyed the modern story but not the civil war side except for the one female character. I guessed some of the end so overall it left me very disappointed.

Caught In The Light
Caught In The Light

4.0 out of 5 stars Goddard does it again, 9 July 2008
This review is from: Caught In The Light (Paperback)
This is story of a photography Ian,who meets a mystery women in Vienna and then the story begins. Didn't think i would like this one took a few pages to get into but I totally loved it. The plot and the twists are great why cannot i find anyone else who writes like Goddard. I will soon have no more books left to read very very recommended.

In A Good Light
In A Good Light
by Clare Chambers
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny good characters, 23 Jun 2008
This review is from: In A Good Light (Paperback)
This is the story of Esther and her relationship with friends and particularly family and how her life dramatically changes.
At first I found this book difficult to get into it was like reading a children's book, I was drawn along by the fantastic characters especially Aunty Barbara. I did enjoy it in the end and didn't realise the twist but it was a bit Mills & Boons but very funny.

Borrowed Time
Borrowed Time

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as ever, 16 Jun 2008
This review is from: Borrowed Time (Paperback)
Robin Timariot has a chance encounter with a captivating women when out walking, when he returns home he finds out that the women he met was raped and murdered. Timariot becomes fascinated by the dead women and is sucked into the complex world of her family and friends.

As ever Goddard creates a very enjoyable and gripping story with many twists and turns. I have read several of his books and this for me is one of the best. It is a shame that Goddard does not get as much praise and attention as other authors. Well worth reading his central character is always just a normal person which i love.

The Bone Garden
The Bone Garden
by Tess Gerritsen

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than i thought, 4 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Bone Garden (Hardcover)
In present time a women finds a skeleton in her back garden and wants to find out more. We go back to 1830's to find out more.
I am an avid reader of Tess's books and love there pace and detail. I had seen her talk about this book in a Borders in Maine and was intrigued. Just got around to read it after reading some not very kind reviews and i must admit i really enjoyed it. I love mysteries and a big fan of Victorian london books and this reminded me of this but in Boston. The only thing i found disappointing was the sentimental bits, but well worth a read and different from here usual stuff.

A Quiet Belief In Angels
A Quiet Belief In Angels
by R.J. Ellory
Price: 7.19

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 28 May 2008
I am an avid reader of the R&J book so was very excited when this appeared on the book club list.
We are introduced to the ending at the beginning of the book. The story is the lead up to this. The story is who is killing these girls? I was not impressed at all by the characters who were cardboard cut outs.
The books was not in my opinion very thrilling and dragged on towards the end. I have other books by the author which might be better i hope?

Set in Stone: Complete & Unabridged
Set in Stone: Complete & Unabridged
Edition: Audio Cassette

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than i thought, 21 Feb 2008
I had read some of the reviews of this one and set out thinking i would not enjoy it but i did thrilling and unpredictable as all Goddards books are. Reminded me of Savage Garden Mark Mills but better

The Torment of Others
The Torment of Others
by Val McDermid
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Ok, 17 Feb 2008
This review is from: The Torment of Others (Audio CD)
This was my first audio CD /book by Val. A bit disappointed got a bit confused with some of the voices and the end was a bit predictable and boring.

Page: 1 | 2