Profile for Peter Sherwin > Reviews

Content by Peter Sherwin

Peter Sherwin (Wokingham, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
GoDoggie-GLOW - SALE NOW ON - 48% OFF - NEW USB Rechargeable LED Dog Safety Collar - 7 Colours & 4 Sizes - Super-Bright LED's Glow & Flash - Your Dog becomes Highly Visible - Connects to Devices to Recharge - No Batteries Required - Great Fun & Improved Dog Safety - Blue Medium
Offered by HF Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product while it worked, 25 Aug. 2015
This collar was very effective over the dark winter months when we really needed our Labrador to be visible.

Unfortunately six months later the electronics died and it no longer charges or lights up. It's a good collar and still has a reflective stripe, but 2 stars off for using substandard components to build the collars. Good LED's on a commercial level cost pennies more than junk ones, and this company obviously built this collar to a price point.

Maybe you will get lucky and get one that lasts for longer than a year. I didn't and have to order another one for this winter.😡
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2015 9:19 PM BST

CrazyFire® High Power 2000 Lumens CREE Q5 LED Zoom adjustable Flashlight Portable 5 Modes Lantern by 1x 18650/3X AAA /1x 26650 batteres
Offered by RESON

4.0 out of 5 stars The brightest red-light torch ever built!!, 23 Aug. 2015
I am up during the night hours and use a red-light torch to walk around the house at night. Red light does not illuminate a room like white light does, so it is perfect for night time use.

The torch is built of solid aluminium and feels nice and sturdy in hand. It is a lot smaller than I would have expected, and runs on one 18650 battery (not included) or 3 AAA batteries using an adapter that is included.

The reason I didn't give this product 5 stars? It is just too bright for indoor usage at night. The Cree XML-T6 LED is perhaps to powerful for a torch used indoors. When outside at night I have good visibility with the torch on the highest setting, seeing out to at least 100 metres. I imagine stargazing with this torch at your side would be very satisfying. If I were to do this over again I would look for a torch using a less-powerful LED, such as a Cree Q5 or another brand.

Overall though, for under £10 it is very hard to complain about the amount of light this torch outputs, and I would definitely recommend it especially if you are going to be using it outdoors.

2000lm Rechargeable CREE XM-L T6 LED Zoomable zoom Flashlight Torch lamp with 2 x 18650 Battery & Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly bright torch at a great price!, 16 Aug. 2015
It is so hard to explain how bright these Cree XML-T6 LED's are. If you are switching from a torch that uses some other type of LED or even xenon bulb, you will be shocked at the brightness, all from one rechargeable lithium-ion battery (or 3 AAA batteries). This new torch replaces a torch that used previous generation LED's, 8 of them actually, and this one LED is brighter than 16 of the old ones (I had 2 torches and held them up next to it).

The torch itself feels very robust, though there is a delicate cover for the charging port that I envision will not be lasting very long. My only real complaint is with the charger they send with the package.

It is so poorly constructed I'm not sure Poundland would even sell it. Do yourself a favor and purchase a good quality multi purpose battery recharger - you can purchase a reasonable one from under £15.

I have not tested the claimed 4200mah of the batteries included, I can only tell you they work. The batteries included are 18650 batteries, which look like oversized AA batteries. I have done some research on this type of battery and it seems that the general consensus is that manufacturers like to inflate the capacity of their batteries and it is quite difficult to determine if you have a reputable set. I can only tell you that mine seem to be okay and work quite well.

Overall I am quite pleased with this torch.

HC-3 Wired Stereo Headset (PS4/Xbox 360/PC DVD)
HC-3 Wired Stereo Headset (PS4/Xbox 360/PC DVD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but needs USB power to function, 18 July 2015
I want to first state that I did not purchase this headset at Amazon, but bought it for a similar price with a few other items elsewhere.

No where on the box does it tell you that you have to have it always plugged into a USB port to power it, then plug it in to the device on your choice.

I commend them for providing a multitide of connections such as RCA cables (red and white), which both plug into a 2.5 mm adapter so you can listen to things like a PA Vita, a tablet, television etc.

The big negative is that unless you have a USB port near your PS Vita, tablet or phone this headset will not work. There is no passive ability or even battery power, these require USB power at all times to operate. For me, this is both a problem and an annoyance which other manufacturers have been overcoming for many years.

If you are purchasing this headset solely for connecting to a games console, which has a USB port, you will be reasonably happy for the price.

The sound is pretty decent, though often you will hear pops and unwanted noise which isn't good.

My overall recommendation is to pass on these and purchase a headset that costs a bit more. Also keep an eye out for power requirements. If you are happy with having to deal with the need for USB power before your headset works then you might be okay with these.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
Offered by Turbotrance

5.0 out of 5 stars Great single-player game with the genius of Kevin Spacey as the protagonist/antagonist. It is an absolutely brilliant game!, 6 May 2015
I am reviewing this for the Playstation 4. If you are looking for a review of the multi-player aspect of the game, this review is not for you. I do not like multi-player games, especially multi-player Call of Duty. Back to the review....

This game has the best single-player campaign short of the Mass Effect series of games in my opinion. They have put a lot of effort into the single-player campaign. Two words: Kevin Spacey. Think "House of Cards" bad, and he makes for a superior bad guy. He should win an Oscar for his work in this game, he is that good. His character will go down as one of the all-time best bad guys in gaming.

The single-player campaign is long enough that you will have many nights where you will look at your clock/watch and tell yourself "Just one more hour" - and that will have been 2 or 3 hours ago. It is very engrossing!

My only issue with the game is that like the previous CoD games they have removed local co-op campaign mode - that is all this game is missing. It is a mistake that I hope Activision rectifies in the next game.

I found the addition of the exoskeleton to be nothing short of amazing, adding all kinds of new ways to take care of the enemy - which in this game is quite intelligent, to the point of even trying to flank you in certain areas.

If you like single player shooters that are stunningly pretty and packed with cool toys, you will like this game. Add the excellent voice acting and Kevin Spacey, and you will love it.

Red LED & White L.E.D. Multiposition Adjustable HEADTORCH Compact & Lightweight Bright Head Torch with Red & White Lights Ideal for Astronomy & Camping.
Offered by UKHobbyStore ~ PowerSaveBulbs UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice lightweight red LED head torch, 3 Mar. 2015
I bought this item as a gift for a couple that will shortly be having their first children - twins. I know they will need their hands free during the middle of the night so I wanted to pick them up a head torch that also had a red LED which is hard to find.

The eye is able to see perfectly in the dark of night with a red light and does not require time to adjust, you can use it as soon as you wake up and see very clearly. Red lights/torches are used for night time astronomy and sailing amongst many other uses. I use a red LED torch every single night when I am awake but my partner is not, and I have never woken her up with the red light.

Most of the head torches that are available make you scroll through the bright white settings either before getting to the red LED or before turning it off, both of which would illuminate the room with white light and more than likely wake up a newborn and lead to all kinds of headaches for the new parents.

That is why this one is so special. It has a dedicated switch to turn the red light on and off which will allow them to get up in the middle of the night as new parents need to and take care of the children without blinding themselves or the little ones.

Also it is extremely lightweight which I am sure will be appreciated when carrying around two bundles of joy/terror at 2AM.

The merchant shipped the item very quickly (next day despite paying nothing for the 3-5 day service...YAY!) and I am very happy with their service.

GRDE® Latest Version CREE XM-L T6 LED Head Torch, 2000 Lumens Waterproof Zoomable Rechargeable Headlamp for Camping / Fishing / Cycling (Grey)
Offered by MoMoCity

4.0 out of 5 stars Hands-free miniature sun, slightly heavy, 27 Nov. 2014
It would receive 5 stars if it wasn't so heavy. That aluminium housing is extremely large and heavy, almost too heavy actually. I have used many head torches in the past, and none have ever been this heavy.

That being said, none of the torches I have owned have ever been this bright!! I love in a rural area and bought this both for walking the dog and cycling during the dark winter days and nights. I'm not sure I can adequately describe just how bright this single-LED torch is, but in an area that wasn't illuminated I could easily see 100 metres (300 or so feet) on the high setting. It seems as bright as a miniature sun!

Just remember the weight, I'm not sure I would want to go running in it, but walking is fine and thanks to the elasticated straps it fits over my cycling helmet, which is a nice bonus. I should mention that the headset has a red LED at the back that is on at the same setting as the torch but it is much more dull - a very nice edition.

Overall I do not think I could find a better headset torch for the price.

Assecure soft touch controller grip handle attachment for Sony PS Vita PSV - (Black & red)
Offered by Warby 4 Games & Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars People with large hands rejoice!, 31 Jan. 2014
The Playstation Vita is a remarkable piece of gaming hardware in every way. The screen is beautiful, it has a just-acceptable battery life and the touch pad on the back is revolutionary for some games, including Fifa.

However, as a person with large hands, the Vita's size works against it and it can cause hand cramping after even just a few minutes. Another problem I had was my fingers constantly touching the rear touchpad.

This grip attachment, such a simple concept, is extremely effective and makes the Vita very comfortable and easy to use, and keeps your fingers off the rear touchpad.

The only slight design issue is that due to where the locking mechanism is underneath dead-centre, it blocks the cable port. Otherwise it is a great piece of kit for the price and should be considered a must-have accessory.

Yousave Accessories Hard Hybrid Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Red
Yousave Accessories Hard Hybrid Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Red
Offered by Yousave Accessories

3.0 out of 5 stars I really like the case, but it isn't durable, 7 Jan. 2014
The case is really nice and feels good when you are holding it, but unfortunately the plastic around the volume button is so thin that it broke the first time I needed to remove the case.

Otherwise, as long as you want to keep the case on, you will like it.

[HD CLARITY] Invisible Defender - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Screen Protector Premium HD Crystal Clear Film with [3 PACK/Lifetime Replacement Warranty] High Definition Clarity Film The World's Best Selling Premium EXTREME CLEAR Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 2013 Model
Offered by Ringke Official UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding screen protectors!, 7 Jan. 2014
I flubbed the first application, but the second application went on flawlessly, and I have to say this is the best screen protector I have used. The tactile feel is superb - with most screen protectors they take away from the feel of the screen. These screen protectors feel wonderful under the finger.

The application process is pretty easy to follow as long as you line it up and make sure you don't pick it up after laying it down. That is what I did and I ruined the first one. If you do it correctly you should even avoid any bubbles.

I am very impressed with these and cannot recommend them enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3