Profile for GizmoGeek > Reviews

Content by GizmoGeek

GizmoGeek (Hounslow, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Original Hostey? 360' Rotate In-Car Windscreen Or Dash-mount Suction Holder Moun
Offered by imyth Direct
Price: 1.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Good suction holder which works well, with one minor flaw, 18 Aug 2014
(This review is for the original Hostey 360 by the way)
This is a good little holder and quite useful for holding my phone in place when using it as a sat nav. To fix it on the windscreen, you place it against the windscreen and turn the part of the base until it clicks. The suction part is quite good and holds on pretty tight - even when removing and affixing the phone several times.
In addition, there is also an adhesive pad that lets you stick it to a flat surface instead, but I haven't used that so I can't comment on it.

The "360" rotating part also works quite well and allows you to turn the phone in any orientation.
The rubberised clamps are nice and tight, and hold the phone securely.

The only thing I can find a flaw with is the hinge mechanism is a bit weak, so when you place your phone on it and flip it upwards, after a while it bends back down again - not a major problem but a bit annoying when you're on the motorway and the phone gradually moves back from the optimum angle you placed it in.

As I said, it is not a major flaw for me even though it is a bit of an annoyance, and definitely worth the price.

Moto G Premium Quality Screen Protector : Crystal Clear HD edition (2 in Pack - Front) by TUFFskinz
Offered by TUFFskinz
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium quality screen protector, 24 July 2014
I'm always wary of buying cheap screen protectors because they're too thin, difficult to apply and get scratched easily.

So I settled for this after reading the positive reviews and I agree with them completely. First of all, a summary of what you get:

2 x screen protectors - covered on both sides with a protective peel-away film
4 x dust removal stickers - these are incredibly useful when removing that tiny speck of dust from under your screen
4 x alignment stickers - not sure what these were for, didn't need to use them
1 x smoothing card - you use this to get rid of any air bubbles if they form
1 x microfibre cleaning cloth - with the TUFFskinz name embossed on it, looks high quality
All contents are nicely packed in their own little plastic covers.

At this price, opening the pack to find this substantial kit is satisfying on its own; but the real proof is in the pudding, or rather the screen protector.

It does come with clear instructions, but a couple of points worth repeating are:
1 - Make sure you wash your hands; helps cut down on dust
2 - Make sure you work in a well lit area which can help spot dust. As I had it delivered at work, I applied it from my desk (there goes productivity!)

Due to it's thickness, it is extremely easy to apply, the size is an exact fit and looks really good. My only gripe is that I started a bit low and therefore the cutouts for the earpiece and front-facing camera are 1mm too low, but this is my own fault and you should not face this if you do it right.

I'd also like to point out that there are no cutouts for the proximity sensor or light sensor, but this is not a problem (if anything, it's a plus to not have multiple cutouts!) and the sensor seems to work just fine.

All in all, an excellent screen protector for a great price. Highly recommend.

p.s. The Moto G and Moto G 4G are physically identical, so this fits the 4G version as well. Cheers

Auto Care Magnetic Tax Disc Holder 3.5"/90mm Diameter - UNIVERSAL AC1761
Auto Care Magnetic Tax Disc Holder 3.5"/90mm Diameter - UNIVERSAL AC1761

3.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't recommend this for cabriolets or anyone wishing to have a ..., 8 July 2014
I bought this auto care Tax Disc Holder from my local ASDA (where it only cost 1) and while the adhesive ring that sticks to the windscreen seems tight enough, the magnetic backing that holds the tax disc in place seems quite weak.

It's holding in place for now, and I suppose it serves purpose as long as you're not going to open the windows, but I'm a bit concerned about the summer months and don't really think it's strong enough to take much wind.

I wouldn't recommend this for cabriolets or anyone wishing to have a more adventurous drive.

UK Standard 3-PIN Plug Adapter For Apple iPad iPod Touch, Classic, Nano, iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S
Offered by moonar
Price: 1.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and gets the job done if you already have an Apple adapter from a different country, 17 Jun 2014
I bought my iPad in the US (seriously, what is up with everything being so expensive in the UK!) which came with the standard iPad charger with US-style 2-pin plug.
The good thing is, the charger is actually composed of two parts - the actual charger and an interchangeable country-specific adapter.

The adapter being sold here is *only* the second part - you will need to have an iPad charger to use it with so if you're looking for an iPad charger this isn't it. But if you're like me and already have an iPad charger from another country, this will help you use it in the UK.

You guide the adapter into the charger using the metal pin on the charger and it slides into place. Some people have reported that it did not fit very well, personally I don't have that problem so it seems more a manufacturing issue with some units.

Seems to work very well, and does what it says on the tin - charges iPads, that is.

The only "issue" I have is that the ridiculously bulky 3-pin UK standard makes your charger twice as big and feels embarrassing when put next to the sleek, foldable 2-pin US standard that's flush with the charger...but this is really an issue with the plug standards used in different countries (which no amount of griping is going to change, I suppose :) so I wholeheartedly give this a 5-star!

Skechers Men's Diameter Heisman Slip-on Brown(CDB/DarkBrown) 61779 9 UK
Skechers Men's Diameter Heisman Slip-on Brown(CDB/DarkBrown) 61779 9 UK
Price: 43.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Great comfort, but a bit poor quality (either that or I got a faulty piece), 26 May 2014
I'm a fan of Skechers for their fantastic, comfortable fit (I have fairly wide feet) and in this regard this shoe does not disappoint. The sole is lined with memory foam that feels wonderful when putting on, and the padding on the sides leads to a snug, comfortable fit.

However a month into use, I'm starting to see some loose threads come off the detailing on the side. It's not a deal-breaker, but because of the contrast stitching, the white thread makes the shoe look cheap and I'm wondering if I got a faulty piece.

Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime
Black + Blum Box Appetit, Lime
Price: 14.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Great design, brilliant concept, but poor construction, 26 May 2014
First off, this is a brilliant concept and I immediately fell in love with the design, the seemingly "high-quality" materials and the gorgeous finishing (the box looks like a porcelain serving dish and the lid looks like made of glass!)
When I first got it, everyone at my office was quite impressed and got it's fair share of wows.

However after months of use, a few things about this aren't quite what they seem:

1. The two smaller containers inside are neither air-tight nor stay in their place; so unless you carry the lunch box perfectly flat, they *will* move about and any sauces you happen to have inside them will find themselves all over the inside of the lunch box.

2. The lunch box is fairly airtight, however since it has hinges only on two sides instead of all four, it *has* leaked on occasions (my lunch almost always contains a good amount of sauce). This isn't necessarily a product flaw as much as it is bad design and I wish future iterations of this lunch box come with latches on all four sides.

3. Finally, the sides of the lid aren't particularly strong and in my case have developed fine cracks on the two sides having hinges. This is, again, bad design because the inner edges of the lid are quite thin compared to the rest of the lid.

After around 9 months of daily use, the hinge guide mechanism on the lid has broken, rendering this beautiful lunch box no longer airtight, and in my case, useless.
Its a shame really, because the box is quite pretty and I still use it at home.

So in conclusion, while I laud Black+Blum for a really pretty take on an otherwise boring everyday item, some bad design choices have resulted in a not-so-recommendable product, and one that looks much better than it really it.

Calvin Klein Ck One Eau de Toilette Spray 50 ml
Calvin Klein Ck One Eau de Toilette Spray 50 ml
Price: 12.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing fragrance, even if in a slightly dodgy packaging, 21 May 2014
This is the first time I've used CK one and as far as the actual fragrance goes this is quite nice - a refreshing, citrus smell that's not very overpowering.

One criteria I use to judge the quality of a perfume is how long it lasts, and on a 1 to 10, where 1 represents "can't smell anything 2 minutes later" and 10 implies "goes away after a couple of washes" I would rate the CK one a 5.
(For comparision, Pi by Givenchy would probably be an 8.5, while Davidoff Coolwater would be a 2)

The only thing I did not like about this is the boring box and uninspiring packaging it comes in - in the pack I got, the bottle was sealed with a screw-on cap with the spray mechanism inside the box, requiring the user to unscrew the cap, and screw on the spray mechanism - not a very good choice for a gift.

But apart from that, it smells alright to me! :)

Melissa & Doug Wooden Kitchen Accessory Set
Melissa & Doug Wooden Kitchen Accessory Set
Price: 19.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, safe and loads of fun!!, 8 May 2014
I got this for my 3 year old daughter (who keeps running to the kitchen for her mother's utensils) and she loves this.
Yes this set is not cheap, but its very well made without any splinters or sharp corners and looks like it will last a while.

I am not completely sure but I believe the pots are carved from a single block of wood (can't find any joins anywhere) except the lids which have the handles glued onto them, nevertheless there isn't any residue and looks very good.

Some people have reported the paints have started to chip off - personally I haven't experienced this in the 3 months I've had this (my daughter normally slams the lid on the pot) so I'm assuming I'm either very lucky or those people got a defective piece.

All in all, a very good toy for a reasonable price.

Skechers Mens Dixon- Spyden Low-Top 63986 Brown 9 UK, 43 EU
Skechers Mens Dixon- Spyden Low-Top 63986 Brown 9 UK, 43 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Most. Comfortable. Shoes. Ever!, 1 Mar 2014
I bought these for my father-in-law who enjoys the occasional trekking however cannot wear popular running/trekking shoes such as those from Nike or Adidas as they all have a narrow fit and seem to be designed mainly with athletes in mind.

First off, the fit is quite generous and well suited for wide-footed people without being loose. The heel of the sole has a "memory foam" layer which, while comfortable, get pressed down flat as soon as you put your foot in your shoe and only returns to shape only after you've removed them. There's also comfortable padding all round the inside of the shoe. All in all, very comfortable to wear.

The upper is made of a soft touch leather which is probably not the best of shades depending on your preference, but does look very nice and looks like it will age with dignity.

The shoes are very well built and are slightly heavy (this is no AirMax, you know) but this is easy to forgive given the fine fit and comfort of this shoe.

11 Inch Balloons - Welcome Home Pk5
11 Inch Balloons - Welcome Home Pk5
Offered by Gillespies Party Supplies
Price: 2.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pack of balloons, 1 Mar 2014
I wanted something nice and cheerful for my family returning from a long trip so I ordered these and well-pleased with them.
The balloons are large and in bright colours - red, orange, green, blue and purple with the "Welcome Home!" printed right side up - so if you hang them from the ceiling they will be upside down.

One aspect I particularly liked is the "tail" (i.e. the part near the mouth of the balloon) has a good length so it allows the balloon to be knotted instead of being tied (lasts longer IMO).

2 for 5 balloons is not cheap, but given the high quality of these (and the excellent service of the seller Up In Smoke) I would recommend these to anyone looking to delight a loved one returning home.

Edit: 10Jun14.
Its been over two months since I got these and they are STILL AROUND!
I've never known balloons to last this long so I am really pleased and would definitely purchase again if needed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7