ARRAY(0xad2bbc6c)

Profile for Maisy Yardley > Reviews

Content by Maisy Yardley

Maisy Yardley (Southampton, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free
Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free
Offered by positivenoise
Price: 2.81

5.0 out of 5 stars their best yet?, 25 Oct 2009
Akron albums are always good value as you only have to listen to them once to be interested, twice to be hooked - but in my case I have to listen to them at least 10 times before I feel I start to understand them, and even then I get a different slant on it each time. I was misled (and put off) at first by a rreview which called them 'freaky folk' - although they do draw on folk among many many many other styles I think just 'experimental' would be a better label if they had to have one! It is amazing how they mix such different styles into their own strong and totally coherent sound; one of my favourites is the beautiful bluesy 70s style guitar solos that occasionally crop up, and also the gorgeous simple, spaced out guitar chords and arpeggios - but I think these would seem too sweet if it wasn't for the high energy jarring metal and chorus build-ups between. I was worried that they might have kept their virtuosity but lost their soul when one of the founder members left to join a Buddhist centre, but was no longer worried after I read the profound and honest lyrics to this new album and heard 'Sun will Shine' (which often brings me to tears).

The Inheritors An Extravagant Story [EasyRead Edition]
The Inheritors An Extravagant Story [EasyRead Edition]
by Joseph Conrad

5.0 out of 5 stars still relevant, 20 Sep 2009
This strange collaboration was an unexpected pleasure to discover. It has all the brooding menace of a typical Conrad book but a different tone and a sociological perspective that I found surprisingly relevant to the present time, reflecting on how old values are ruthlessly swept away by the march towards 'progress'. I was attracted by the odd mixture of science fiction and a story that could almost have come from Henry James, and it was indeed novel but effective!

Watersports
Watersports
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars accessible quality, 20 Sep 2009
This review is from: Watersports (Audio CD)
This band are descended from Black Eyes, a band which I really love. While they keep elements from Black Eyes - the singer's endearing new wave falsetto yelping and the driving percussive energy - it is more mellow and accessible. At first I felt this meant they had lost some of their edge, but after more listening I now feel that the new direction is just as good as the previous material - although it lacks the passion of some of the Black Eyes songs it builds steadily throughout the album with no weak places, and exudes musical maturity and confidence. I do hope they tour the UK - with their trancey relentless rhythms and rich layers of sound they must be fantastic live!

Love Is Simple
Love Is Simple
Price: 13.55

5.0 out of 5 stars persevere with this one!, 20 Sep 2009
This review is from: Love Is Simple (Audio CD)
I am a fairly new fan of Akron/Family and although I really liked their most recent album the first track of this one (the 2nd I bought) very nearly put me off altogether with its seemingly simplistic loved-up hippie lyrics. Luckily, the music was so good I kept listening! Akron/Family are never simple, and now I have heard the album 3 times I think I am beginning to understand and appreciate what they mean - a positive but self-conscious and certainly not simplistic message. The bonus DVD that came with my copy really helped - the live performance left me and my partner in stunned silence with our mouths hanging open as it was so amazingly powerful. These boys really love music - all kinds - and can play it really well! We can't wait to see them perform live in November, and I have now bought all their albums.

A Symbol Of Modern Living
A Symbol Of Modern Living
Price: 7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars I just want more of this!, 25 Dec 2004
It's over a year now since I bought this (?punk-funk) album and it just gets better and better - it fuses together all my favourite influences, from Happy Mondays through P.I.L. to Hawkwind, but sounds completely like itself and new. But where are they now? I can't bear the thought that a band this good may have disappeared forever!

Page: 1 | 2