Profile for Maisy Yardley > Reviews

Content by Maisy Yardley

Maisy Yardley (Southampton, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Uncanny Valley
Uncanny Valley
Price: 9.72

5.0 out of 5 stars poignant and profound, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Uncanny Valley (Audio CD)
It took me quite a while to fully appreciate the last (superb) Mignight Juggernauts album so this time I deliberately waited several weeks before writing a review. I'm glad I did because although I liked it from the start with every listen I appreciate it more - the perfect, glossy production, the sumptuous, rich sound and the haunting, poignant tunes. I'm pretty sure that the lyrics are profound too, though they wisely don't supply them even with the CD - keeping a bit of mystery and allowing you to add on your own meanings, and the official videos on YouTube help. As on all their albums, there are a couple of tracks that take my breath away (Sugar and Bullets, Ballad of the War Machine) - give those a listen and then get the album as there is loads more to get into!

Steel Rod Ep
Steel Rod Ep
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars worth it for the best bits, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Steel Rod Ep (Audio CD)
Having only discovered Oneida when they released Rated O in 2009 I am still catching up with their back catalogue - some of their early work I find sticks a bit close to the traditional rock bands they were inspired by / learning from / pastiching but there are two fantastic tracks on this EP that make it well worth buying, the lovely Tennessee and the brilliant long bonus jamming track at the end, where they provide an early example of classic Oneida spacerock.

Premier Dog Nylon EASY WALK HARNESS Reduce Pulling Med/Large Black & Silver
Premier Dog Nylon EASY WALK HARNESS Reduce Pulling Med/Large Black & Silver
Offered by Friends of Fido
Price: 21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars at last!, 18 April 2012
After twenty years of owning successive dalmatians (who pull A LOT) and trying various collars, halters and harnesses, I simply cannot believe that I now have a dog who does not pull! Our Dalmatians have always hated halters around their nose but our current dog seems not to mind this harness at all. We tried another harness which went under her armpits but it rubbed them - this harness does not seem to rub at all, partly because the dog simply doesn't try to pull in it but walks along calmly by your side! I know people will think this is too good to be true, but it really does seem to work - and even if she is startled by something and pulls away she can't get out of the harness and I can still control her. I really recommend giving this a try to anyone who has a real problem with their dog pulling.

In The Grace Of Your Love
In The Grace Of Your Love
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars their best album yet?, 15 Oct 2011
The BBC review of the album is a very strange choice if Amazon want to actually sell it, since it is written by someone who clearly just did not get this album! If you go to 'metacritic' you will see an unusually wide range of opinions - including lots of good reviewers who think very highly of it, as I do. Obviously the Rapture's sound is not as new today as when they started, but Jenner's singing style remains unique and utterly compelling - and with maturity the songs have (if possible) gained in depth and emotional authenticity. While dealing with serious topics such as loss and death (though also renewal and love) the music is beautiful and uplifting and so ultimately positive. While the strong spiritual dimension of the album is expressed in Christian terms, this is not 'god-rock' - anyone who has swum in the sea, watched a great sunrise or danced in the rain at a festival can relate to the feelings of 'grace' and togetherness that Jenner celebrates. The sound is more stripped down the last album and this really suits the band's style of simplicity and directness. There are too many good tracks to list, and although not fast-paced many of them make me want to get up and dance, and in summary I think this is possibly their best album yet.

Ancol - Dog Training Halter - Head Collar - Helps Stop Pulling - Size: Large
Ancol - Dog Training Halter - Head Collar - Helps Stop Pulling - Size: Large
Price: 7.90

4.0 out of 5 stars my dog prefers it to the halti, 25 Aug 2011
I forgot to take my halti with me when taking my dalmatian dog for a day out in a new place, which makes her very excited so she starts dragging me along (which is normal for dalmatians!). Luckily when we arrived at our destination there was a market stall selling this halti, and I thought a spare would be useful anyway. It turned out to have a slimmer, smoother harness which my dog accepts better than the halti - hardly any attempts to get it off. It also came with a strap to link to the collar which my old halti did not have (new ones do have this now I have discovered) which is an important safety feature to stop the dog backing out of the harness if for some reason your dog suddenly gets desperate to get away (in fact this happened today when she saw a wasp, as she is terrified of them having been stung several times).

The Crystal Axis
The Crystal Axis
Offered by Japan-Select
Price: 20.41

5.0 out of 5 stars subtle and powerful, 18 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Crystal Axis (Audio CD)
Please ignore the weak praise for Midnight Juggernauts in the BBC review! Their first album was deceptively simple - strong beats, cheesy lyrics and singable melodies made it very accessible, but the standout tracks (e.g. Into the Galaxy, Tombstone) are superb and timeless. The sound blended a tongue-in-cheek homage to electronic pop and dance music with rock - on stage, after delivering the electro poppy bit they would get out their guitars and rock it up.

Their second album is a homage to prog rock - an ambitious, idiosyncratic and probably not commercially sensible concept album! This is a major change in direction and even though the sound is again deceptively accessible it took a lot of listening to really appreciate it - but it just gets better and better with every play. If you do not pay attention it can sound like mediocre 70s music, but the care and craftsmanship that has been put into every note elevates it to another plane. Like any good concept album it takes the listener through emotional ups and downs, and at first the darker tracks put me off listening until I came to anticipate that they would just make the more upbeat and positive tracks even sweeter. By now I feel the album is musically richer and more complex than their first, and actually even better - I can't wait for the next one, and to see them again!

Root For Ruin
Root For Ruin
Price: 7.89

5.0 out of 5 stars merely superb!, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: Root For Ruin (Audio CD)
I bought this album on pre-release through i-Tunes even though I don't have an i-pod as I was desperate to get to know the new material before we saw LSF play it live in London this weekend. I was very glad I did - as with previous LSF albums the music and lyrics are not obvious and in my experience take several listens before you start to really appreciate them. But now I have also heard most of the album live as well I can say that LSF have released another brilliant set of tracks. From the reviews I was a bit worried that LSF might have produced an average album - but now I realise that it is indeed an average album - average for LSF which means outstanding compared with most other bands.

Whereas Lets Stay Friends experimented more, this album gets back to the sound they have already perfected - but this sound is so breathtakingly beautiful yet charged with energy that it seems very unfair to criticise them for producing more of it! The lyrics are painfully honest as always, and the mood is not always upbeat - disillusionment of various kinds is a recurring theme. This means that it is not a 'feel-good' album, but will speak to anyone (surely everyone!) who has experienced disappointment or loss, and although they may have (perhaps temporarily) lost some of their joie-de-vivre, as they point out themselves, they still have not lost their appetite - or their excellent sense of humour. And of course the live show was incredible as always and really succeeding in breaking down the barriers between the band and the crowd - I was privileged but not by any means alone to get an unexpected bear-hug from Tim Harrington in the middle of the set!

Future Breeds
Future Breeds
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars fun but with depth, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Future Breeds (Audio CD)
This is the first Hot Hot Heat album I have heard, and I think it is really good - there certainly are some real standout tracks, such as Times a Thousand, Future Breeds and the superb Zero Results. The music is consistently upbeat but not two-dimensional - they draw on different influences and blend different styles. The lyics are funny but serious. Not every track is good but overall it is a very consistent album that I have enjoyed playing many times already.

Liquid Love
Liquid Love
Offered by Springwood Media
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars totally under-rated first-class album, 9 May 2010
This review is from: Liquid Love (Audio CD)
I loved the original, stripped down sound of Shy Child's last album, and so the highly polished pop sound of this one came as a bit of a shock - but after a single listen I was grabbed. For a start, every song on the album is so catchy that having played it just twice it replayed in my head constantly for a week! Luckily this just allowed me to appreciate its depth. I can't understand how some reviewers see this album as superficial - as in their classic single 'Summer' on the last album, their enigmatic but evocative lyrics and their sound are both bitter-sweet and poignant, combining a determination to appreciate life to the full with an awareness of the inescapable pain and alienation of our lives. In fact, I find their music so emotional that the beauty and upbeat danceability of it is a neccessary antidote to the seriousness of their messages.

Perhaps the album is a little over-produced - when they finally did a track (Criss Cross) that sounded more like their previous album it was great to hear their unique, special sound again - but this also reminded me of how boring it might have become if they had not branched out into different musical forms. While I still love their last album, this album is more musically mature and accomplished, with a very even quality throughout.

There is so much truly superficial indie pop around just now it seems very sad to me that a band that have managed to use familiar accessible formats to deliver profound songs have not met with more acclaim. I had started to think that I didn't like pop music but they have reminded me that Motown, the Beatles, Daft Punk, arguably Mozart, all understood the value of high quality pop songs. They have shown wirh their earlier work they can be innovative and experimental, but now have shown that they have also mastered their medium and can change styles. Thye are good looking and cool. What more do they need to do to be properly appreciated?!

Preteen Weaponry
Preteen Weaponry
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars mesmerising, essential Oneida, 6 Feb 2010
This review is from: Preteen Weaponry (Audio CD)
As a relative newcomer to Oneida (have only heard 5 albums so far!) this one seems to me to be the essence of what Oneida do best - their extended instrumentals that perform the magical trick of using repetition in a way that is never boring. I appreciate the way that on each album they try out different sounds (part of staying fresh), including more focused songs with lyrics, but I feel their music really takes off when they seem to jam at length but with purpose, as on this album. When I listen to this I forget I am listening to it and then find it has led me somewhere different.

Page: 1 | 2