Profile for Boothillboy > Reviews

Boothillboy

Dad's Army - Don't Panic! Leather Wallet
Dad's Army - Don't Panic! Leather Wallet

1.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING, 2 Oct. 2014
When I first opened the box, the wallet looked great but, it soon became apparent that it was not very well made. In particular I found it impossible to fit may credit cards into the slots - I could just about force a card into but only at the cost of damaging the lining of the wallet.

Catholic Gift Bible-NRSV
Catholic Gift Bible-NRSV
by Harper Bibles
Edition: Imitation Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Confirmation Gift, 26 Jun. 2013
I purchased this for a child's confirmation, in the Roman Catholic church, at which I was the child's sponsor. In addition to presenting the Bible in the traditional Catholic form i.e. with the Old Testament Apocrypha included, it included additional material on the faith and the Bible itself. The binding is faux leather/plastic but, nonetheless, it really "looks the part" meets the requirements of a commemorative gift, which the child will hopefully treasure for years to come. It contains a number of pages to record details of the confirmation and the other sacraments.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2016 7:29 PM GMT

Child Ballads
Child Ballads

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Ballads, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Child Ballads (Audio CD)
I bought this cd having heard one track, on the radio, and it's a long time since I've been so impressed by artistes who are new to me. The vocals are spot on, with both Anais and Jefferson having excellent singing voices and these are complemented by excellent instrumental work. I am familiar with all the songs, which are selected from the renowned folk song collection of Sir Francis James Childs, and have at least one version of each in my record collection but these renditions give them new life not least because of the excellent diction of the two singers, which means I actually get all the words. I've listened to the cd almost every day over the four weeks I've had it and the only fault I can find is that there isn't more. I really hope they produce a follow-up

Cowboy Angels
Cowboy Angels

5.0 out of 5 stars Cowboy Angels, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Cowboy Angels (Audio CD)
I was also at the 1976 concert at The Liverpool Empire, although I was most definitely there to see Emmylou herself, whose superb singing I'd first heard on Gram Parson's "GP" album. I remember lending that album to a longstanding country music fan who was actually unimpressed by Gram but was very taken with the "girl singer" and suggested that she would go far! The "Cowboy Angels" album takes us back to the very early days of Emmylou's post-Parsons solo career and, for that reason alone, is a must for any fan. Apart from the vocals, the individual musicianship of the great talents making up the first version of The Hot Band is very evident throughout. The only qualification I would make is that, at the time of this radio concert, the musicians were in the early stages of working together and I felt that the overall sound on the album is not as "tight" as it was to become on record and in live performance.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2013 3:58 PM BST

BOGGUSS, Suzy American Folk Songbook
BOGGUSS, Suzy American Folk Songbook
Offered by Bear Family Records GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Suzy Superb, 29 April 2012
The album lives up to it's title and contains seventeen songs, many of them as familiar to me, and most British listeners, as they are to Americans.Suzy Bogguss is one of the finest modern country singers and, on this album, her vocals are as good as ever. The arrangement of the songs is superb and Suzy is supported by some excellent backing musicians including the likes of Jerry Douglas and Stuart Duncan. Overall the style of the album should appeal to a wide audience and particularly to lovers of folk or bluegrass music. There's not a dud track on the album but my favourites are "Old Dan Tucker", performed very much bluegrass style, and "Erie Canal". With this album, I certainly felt that I got quantity and quality.

Brothers From Different Mothers
Brothers From Different Mothers
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Brothers From Other Mothers, 22 Jun. 2011
I wondered whether this could match the standards of their brillian eponymous debut album, which I've had in my collection for a while. I needn't have worried, the standard of the vocals and musicianship are superb. The boys are well supported by a range of talented musicians, including many who be familiar to fans of bluegrass or country music in general. I've read comparisons of the boys with that great brother duo, the Louvin Brothers and they really do deserve that kind of accolade.It's difficult to pick stand out tracks when faced with such quality but, of the twelve tracks on this album I would particularly go for their versions of "You Oughta Be Here With Me", a Roger Miller song and "Years Ago", one of two Statler Brothers songs on the album. On the latter,the harmonies go beyond the normal bluegrass style to capture the style of The Statlers quite brilliantly.

Kitty Wells Dresses: Songs Of The Queen Of Country Music
Kitty Wells Dresses: Songs Of The Queen Of Country Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitty Wells Dresses, 22 Jun. 2011
Kitty Wells truly is one of the all time greats and this album is a splendid tribute to her. The album opens with the title track, written by Laura Cantrell and Amy Wright and the rest is made up of covers of nine songs from Kitty Well's canon. "It wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" is there and my particular favourites are "Poison In Your heart" and "One By One", the latter a duet with Chuck Mead, of BR5-49 fame.As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a dud track on the album. Laura's vocals are superb throughout and, with great backing musicians, the whole album is very much in keeping with the style of Kitty's originals. Having played the cd repeatedly,I find myself hungry for more of the same and, given that the cd is only just over thirty minutes long, I wonder why a few more tracks couldn't have been included.

Hank Williams: The Complete Mother's Best Recordings...Plus!
Hank Williams: The Complete Mother's Best Recordings...Plus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hank Williams - Complete Mother's Best, 7 Mar. 2011
When this box set first became available I was suspicious of some sort of "rip off" as Time Life had already released two three-cd sets of material selected from the Mother's Best recordings.However, as a longtime Hank Williams fan, I took the chance and couldn't have been happier with what I got for my money. The fifteen cds and dvd come in a really attractive box in the form of a 1950's radio, the set also includes a hardback book with disc by disc notes on each of the recordings and some excellent photographs. (Oh, and there's also a jigsaw, which I found a bit unusual.)
These recordings add roughly 50% to the body of Hank's recorded work and it's incredible that they remained undiscovered for almost forty years and, even then, were only released after several years of legal wrangling.
The sound quality is generally excellent and is better than that on many of the earlier studio recordings in my collection. However, the real beauty is that you get the complete fifteen minute radio recordings, complete with the studio chat and banter, as well the adverts for Mother's Best products.Just to think that you are hearing these shows as they were broadcast sixty years ago, albeit with modern sound quality, really does give you a little bit of a feel for the context in which Hank performed.
There is a fair amount of repetition of material over the course of the 15 cds, but that's acceptable to me as necessary to retaining the integrity of the individual shows. Miss Audrey's notoriously tuneless singing also features on a number of tracks. Some people have suggested that these should have been edited out but, for the same reason, their inclusion was, I feel, essential and adds to the overall pleasure of listening to the recordings. Obviously, I would recommend the set, but I appreciate that these factors might put some people off a relatively expensive purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2011 9:22 AM BST