Profile for The Dragon > Reviews

Content by The Dragon

The Dragon "The Dragon" (Plymouth, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The King's Speech: Based on the Recently Discovered Diaries of Lionel Logue
The King's Speech: Based on the Recently Discovered Diaries of Lionel Logue
Price: 3.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and enjoyable, 16 April 2011
I am not a big reader of non fiction but in my drive to keep up with popular culture I thought I'd give this a whirl. What a wonderful book! Easy to read, entertaining and informative. It knits the stories of Logue and the King brilliantly and is very personal. I enjoyed the photos aswell. I was delighted to have a re.otely popular ebook with a reasonable price tag also. On the negative, the kindle edition made the letters at the back difficult to read. I also could have used a royal family tree as the multiple references and names confused me initially. Overall a great read.

Invisible (Ivy Malone Mystery Series #1)
Invisible (Ivy Malone Mystery Series #1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for free, wouldn't pay for though, 16 April 2011
The bargain hunter within me njoyed this novel more thann the reader did. A fun little read which was funny and driven. I particularly liked the old lady heroine, all the ones I seem to read are young and gorgeous. I felt it struggled to find its genre and it took the amateur sleuth thing too far even for the type of novel. I found the ending deeply unsatisfactory, not likely, ignoring all the progress the character has made and blatantly lining up the sequel. whilst it is free download it, if it isn't give a miss I think.

Spying in High Heels (High Heels Mysteries Book 1)
Spying in High Heels (High Heels Mysteries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars a FREE bit of lighthearted fun, 13 April 2011
This was a good fun read which didn't take itself too seriously but provided good entertainment. Maddie lives in LA and her boyfriend gets in to increasing amounts of legal trouble as the book goes on. She turns amateur sleuth which is very funny and helps the book tick along. On the negative side it is full of American metaphors and abbreviations which I didn't get, although the kindle dictionary very helpful! Also I feel I could pass a taxi exam to work in LA as every single road driven on is written about - unnecessary! In all a great little read which was all the more enjoyable as it was free! Recommend.

Eye of the Red Tsar
Eye of the Red Tsar
Price: 4.19

4.0 out of 5 stars good historical fiction, 4 Jan 2011
This was a great book which I emjoyed immensely. It is particularly dark, often bleak, and a pretty damning indictment of the USSR which makes certain events all the more poignant. I am a faan of historical fiction like this so that probably predisposes me to like the novel but I felt this was an excellent example. I am shamefully unknowledgable about the Russian revolution so can't vouch for the historical accuracy but from an entertainment point of view it is top notch. A few 'clunky' plot developments where you feel the main character, being as switched on as he is, would have worked out sooner. This is why no fifth star. Very enjoyable though and I would recommend.

Snobbery with Violence
Snobbery with Violence
Price: 4.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read and good fun - I am surprised!, 3 Jan 2011
I am not in to series books and felt this would probably disappoint but it was on offer & I can't resist a bargain. This was great! It was not pretentious but managed to provide a fun social commentary in to Edwardian life which slowed the plot down but actually wasn't frustrating. I suppose with a series time spent developing character and place reeps benefts for loyal readers later on, like a soap, I'll let you know! If you want a series or a one off it does the job well and enjoyably. A lovely experience, great.

Not What She Seems
Not What She Seems
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars mainly predictable and where surprising just disappointing, 3 Jan 2011
I downloaded this for a cheap and cheerful read, I emjoy trying out new authors and have had some cracking novels through kindle offers and just giving them a go. This really was terrible. It failed to find the genre at all, is it romance? Is it murder mystery? Is it a thriller? People who enjoyed the book would say a selling point is that it is all three but it doesn't satisfy in any of these categories leaving fans of any of these cold. The characters are pretty dislikeable and unconvinving, I don't even like the female protagonist and am quite happy for her to go to jail so the bloke can go and meet someone nice! I don't want to ruin it for those of you who are going to ignore my review so all I'll say about the mystery part of it is that the obligatory 'red herring' characters, well, there are just too many of them and they are much more interesting than the central story. The main character's parents are also murdered but this gets barely a mention and we never really understand the motives for these additional killings that just seem to be thown in for body count purposes. The book is also much too long, it simply doesn't need that amount of jetting around the country. The word count could be sliced by a third to create the same novel. What a horribly negative review, sorry, but it really was rubbish.

Naughty or Nice?
Naughty or Nice?

3.0 out of 5 stars trying to embrace the genre (excuse the pun), 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Naughty or Nice? (Kindle Edition)
This is a completely predictable, pretty dull, and uninteresting story which is punctutated by some pretty cliched sex. Having begun a stinging review in this way I can't help but thinking, what did I expect? and what's wrong with that?! It was emjoyable escapism and a bit of a laugh. A meaninful read this is NOT however let go the pretense and have a laugh, fits the bill. My simple thoughts, download with abandon!

The Glassblower of Murano
The Glassblower of Murano

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable and well written, 27 Dec 2010
I enjoyed the interlinked historical and contemporary stories which unfurled elegantly in the beautifu Venetian backdrop. The characters are well written and the story is enhanced by the settimg rather than just an add on to sell more books. This would be wonderful to read whilst in Venice sat in one of the cafes.
My real disappointment, and this is probably just my own bugbear, but why does the English need to be Americanised? British-Venetian author why are there references to "locker rooms" and "zucchini" for me it interrupted the flow of the novel and jarred with its identity. Shame otherwise this would be five stars.
I would recommend this novel and would definitely reread if I'm lucky enough to return to beautiful Venice.

Remix
Remix
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars just loved this book and such a bargain!, 26 Dec 2010
This review is from: Remix (Kindle Edition)
This book was just so much fun, I've just finished it in a few hours as a result. Mixture of funny, ridiculous,crime, romance all rolled in to one package. Not that it should make a difference but the fact that it was only 49p made me enjoy it even more! I haven't read anythimg like this for years and will remember the author. Bit of enjoyable escapism? Download this, you won't be disappointed.

Fifth Avenue (Book One in the Fifth Avenue Series)
Fifth Avenue (Book One in the Fifth Avenue Series)
Price: 1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars a good ride, 26 Dec 2010
ill and stuck in bed feeling sorry for myself. I was looking for a start to finish page turner which would not take too much from me. For 75p quite frankly I couldn't go wrong.
This book blew all my expectations. A bit seedy, a bit gory, lots of scandal and lovely revenge to keep it all ticking along. This book was a good read and the story satisfying. I'm not going to get in to the characters etc, it's a thriller for god's sake, just try to keep up with who hates who and why! Download this one, now.

Page: 1 | 2