Profile for Chris Randle > Reviews

Content by Chris Randle

Chris Randle "Narny" (UK)

Rii slim Qwerty mini bluetooth keyboard with Backlit for android phone
Rii slim Qwerty mini bluetooth keyboard with Backlit for android phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent layout and delightful key action, 25 Nov. 2015
There are a lot of similar keyboards for sale, but none that I could find that was exactly like this one. It seemed to be perfect for my needs, so I ordered one. Initially the wrong item was delivered - a similar type of keyboard, but not exactly the Rii518 shown and named in the product description section. The seller responded very quickly to my query and sent out another keyboard. In both cases the keyboard shipped from China (to the UK), so they took quite a few days to arrive (16 for the first and 20 for the second), but still within the estimated delivery time of 7-25 days. So full marks to AbestShopping for putting things right without fuss and as quickly as possible considering the distances involved. If you want exactly this keyboard, the label on the box says it's "Riitek; Model: RT-MW518; Layout: US; Color: Black". Mine looks exactly as shown on the web page.

The keyboard arrived in a padded envelope containing a slim carboard box. The box label said it contains:

Mini Bluetooth Keyboard x1
Mini USB Charging Cable x1
Driver CD x1
User Manual x1

All was present apart from a driver CD, but I suspect that it's a simple mistake by whoever wrote the labels. I wouldn't expect a driver CD for a bluetooth keyboard. In fact, the supplied manual only mentions the other three items. Mine worked perfectly without a driver, pairing with a Nexus 5 phone running Android Lollipop (5.1.1) and a Samsung N140 netbook running Windows XP Pro. The manual suggests the keyboard should work with Windows, Linux, Android, PocketPC, Symbian S60 and Sony Playstation 3. A nice touch is that the charging cable (USB A to mini-B) has an additional USB A female socket, so you gain an extra USB connection to the charging device to replace the one lost to the plugged-in lead.

Physically, it's very neat and compact. Dimensions are approx. 110mm across, 60mm top-to-bottom and 10mm thick. The case material is a hard, matt-black plastic. It's not shiny hard plastic, but has a *very* slight rubbery texture to it.

The keys are a shiny, hard plastic (not squishy rubber) and have a solid, positive action with a light keyclick. Although there's no gap between the keys, they keytops are domed slightly, which makes it easy to sense when your fingers are exactly over the centre of each key. There's no wobble from the keys if you try to move them up/down/left/right. For me, they were exactly as I was hoping they would be, which was a bit of a gamble as you can't tell from a photo. It's one of the nicest mini keyboard actions I've come across. For reference, my all-time-favourite was the HP200LX. These keys are not too dissimilar - the HP's had a longer travel.

Oh, and a cool feature is that with a press of the key at top-left, next to F1, the key legends glow softly so that you can type in the dark!

I also liked this keyboard over all the others I'd seen due to the choices for the key layout and modifier keys. Specifically:

Unshifted escape key
Unshifted numeric keys
Unshifted forward slash and backslash keys
Function keys (It has two groups: F1-F8 and F9-F12)
Shift key, Fn key, Ctrl key and Alt key.
Wide (3-keys-wide) space bar on bottom row, not too far from centre.
Unshifted arrow keys, with up/down above/below and left/right as expected.
Easy access to sensibly positioned parthenses, brackets and braces (), [], {}
The usual additional symbol keys <>!@#$%^&*.,:;|~`'"+-=_ in reasonably sensible locations.

My primary reason for wanting a layout and access to various keys as above was two-fold. Firstly for easy use of a Unix terminal, Vi, and writing Perl. Secondly (who am I kidding: primarily) to play rogue-like games (NetHack and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup). I'm also using it to play Frotz interactive fiction games. A physical keyboard leaves a lot more space for text on the screen.The keyboard makes these tasks a delight.

Negatives? It's very hard to think of anything major.

I'd have liked it if the modifier keys (Shift, Ctrl, Fn & Alt) could have been "sticky". For example you could press Ctrl, then release the key, then the X key to get a Ctrl-X combo. Makes typing with one hand or two thumbs much easier.

My keyboard is not perfectly flat, it appears to be warped or twisted very, very slightly. It's so minor that it's not noticable when typing. I only notice it if I deliberatley rock it along its bottom-left/top-right diagonal when on a hard smooth surface. I'm *very* fussy about these things, but it's so slight that I don't notice it at all in use. I almost hesitate to mention it.

UK and European users may miss the pound and euro symbols. I've discovered that you can type diacritic symbols by prefixing the required a e i o n (etc) keys with Alt-E, Alt-Y, Alt-I, Alt-N or Alt-`. There may be some other keyboard combos that will produce pound and euro symbols - I haven't found them yet. The common Windows Alt-nnnn to generate a symbol based on its Uniocode code point doesn't seem to work with this keyboard, so that's not it.

In summary, I couldn't be more pleased with this keyboard. It's more expensive than most of its rivals, but if your requirements and preferences match mine, then I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Delphi Complete Works of Charles Dickens (Illustrated)
Delphi Complete Works of Charles Dickens (Illustrated)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 6 May 2011
Worth every penny of the modest cost for the value added to these out-of-copyright works. This is not just a hastily cobbled together collection of freely-available books, but a truly delightful compendium, thoughtfully compiled, enhanced and made easily accessible.

I started to list the extensive content, but just read the product description for the list of what you're getting.

Each novel or short story has a brief introduction explaining the history of the piece and usually some interesting trivia too.

I was pleased to find that, unlike the downloadable sample, the table of contents is accessible from the Kindle's contents link.

All the original illustrations are there, as well as quite a few extra drawings and photos. For example, the Pickwick Papers has some photos of the original monthly serials and a photo of a collection of all 19 booklets. Some of the drawings and photos are in colour, which you'll appreciate if you're reading on a PC's Kindle reader, for example.

I'm so impressed with this one of Delphi Classics series that I intend to buy some of their other authors, starting with Thomas Hardy.

Professor Stewart's Hoard of Mathematical Treasures
Professor Stewart's Hoard of Mathematical Treasures
by Ian Stewart

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little book, 20 April 2011
A really great book. Its precursor, "Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities", was a hard act to follow, but I think that "Hoard of Mathematical Treasures" is even better. There's something interesting, thought-provoking or amusing on every one of its 339 pages. I also appreciate its modest dimensions so that you can take it along in a bag to dip into on boring trips.