Profile for Daisydolittle > Reviews

Content by Daisydolittle

Daisydolittle "Daisydolittle" (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Until the End of the World (Until the End of the World, Book 1)
Until the End of the World (Until the End of the World, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that brings light, 22 Aug. 2014
Friends Cassie, Nell and Penny along with Cassie's ex Peter and Penny's Ana have to escape New York, as a deadly virus spreads. Luckily Cassie's parents had been preppers, but in this new world even that isn't enough.

This book has so much heart, a world has been created by the author that is full of characters that you just root for. This is a novel about friendship, love and overcoming the odds. Many post-apocalyptic novels are dark, heavy reads, and whilst I enjoy those greatly, this book is a breath of fresh air. Fantastic 5 star read.

Blackbirds (A Miriam Black novel Book 1)
Blackbirds (A Miriam Black novel Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Need an antidote to formulaic UF-try this!, 18 Aug. 2014
Urban fantasy is one of my favourite genres, along with horror and post-apocalyptic stuff. But over the past year I had become very jaded with UF, as for the most part a lot of the books I read were very formulaic. Blackbird is not.

The writer has done an astonishing job, with a unique supernatural ability and a small cast of characters, creating a truly interesting storyline.

Miriam has the "gift" of being able to tell the exact time and manner of an individual's death, just or the cost of some skin on skin contact (and no, not necessarily like that!). Using this gift to get by, she lives a transient lifestyle until 2 very different men come into her life.

Wending uses an inspired piece of writing by telling Miriam's back story by an interview with Miriam by one of her marks. It just sits perfectly within how the character would act. This book is exceptionally well written, and if you appreciate the darker side of UF then you need to read this. Brilliant 5 star read.

RAZORBACKS
RAZORBACKS

3.0 out of 5 stars Feral razorbacks with a taste for human blood are on the rampage., 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: RAZORBACKS (Kindle Edition)
Peter was never met his Dad, but Avery turns up out of the blue. The 2 survive a car crash, but something worse is out there.

This was one of those books that had a great original story, but unfortunately didn't quite fulfil it's promise. Think my main issue was that the razorbacks were just not scary enough, nor was enough tension created in the storyline.

3 star read

The Infestation: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel
The Infestation: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars The end of the world, caused by a spider bite., 9 Aug. 2014
Ethan really does not like spiders, and given the fact they are going to destroy his whole world, it's probably justified.

So this apocalyptic story focus' on Ethan and Fiona's end of world story. I like the way that it concentrates on a small part, as this has allowed a quick and fast paced story. But it also means there is little detail in this story. However, it is a good take on the end of the world.

My main issue was the characters, very sketchy and one dimensional. I think if the characters were re written then the book would work so much better, given that you are resting on 2 characters for the whole of the story.

Solid 3 star read.

What Hides Within
What Hides Within

4.0 out of 5 stars A small spider lives inside Clive's head, and the spider talks to him., 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: What Hides Within (Kindle Edition)
I used to really not like spiders, but for the past few years I have got loads happier with them, and even have a couple if pet spiders living in the house. But, the idea of a spider in your head really makes my skin crawl, especially when that spider brings it's dinner back into your head.

This was a good solid story, not particularly scary but well written and humorous. The first 2 thirds of the novel were a 5 star read. Great characterisation and plot build up, but as the story was drawing to a close in the final third it felt to me that it had lost its way a little, and drew the ending out over a longer period than needed. As a result it missed the chance to have one hell of a punchy ending.

Solid 4 star read, well worth the purchase.

Mandibles
Mandibles

4.0 out of 5 stars Giant ants! Creepy crawly fun., 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Mandibles (Kindle Edition)
Giant ants overrun Florida!! Giant stinging ants!! And I mean giant!!

Sometimes you just need some fun in journey life, and I for me this provided fun in bucket loads. This novel is the literary equivalent of all the bad things your not supposed to eat, but that taste oh so very good.

As you can tell I really enjoyed this book, it felt like I gave my mind a break and allowed it to spectacularly veg out. But this is a good thing! The book is all the b movie horror that you can imagine, but was still well written. Highly recommended for those who just want to be entertained.

Clickers
Clickers

4.0 out of 5 stars Even giant, stinging crabs have something to be afraid of!, 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Clickers (Kindle Edition)
An author moves into a small town hoping to get through his writers block. Unfortunately writing is going to be the last thing on Ricks mind as Phillipsport gets overcome by prehistoric giant, stinging crabs with a taste for human flesh. So, that would be bad enough, right? Except even giant stinging crabs have something to be afraid of, and so begins the second onslaught of Phillipsport.

This book is great fun, full of B movie madness, but with plenty of death and gore for those who like that! A consistently entertaining read with action that continues full throttle all the way to the end.

Good 4 star read!

The Passage
The Passage
by Justin Cronin
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic masterpiece, 29 July 2014
This review is from: The Passage (Audio CD)
I'm not really sure where to start with a review of this book, as I'm pretty sure that no words that I can write can do this book justice.

The book chronicles a military experiment gone wrong, and the aftermath for decades afterward. To be honest it's so difficult to provide a synopsis of this book, due to the length and breadth of the story that this book covers. I don't want to give much detail as to ruin the story!

I've always been a lover of long, epic books. The Stand has been my favourite novel, however I think that Justin Cronin has just overtaken this with The Passage. This book has me awestruck. At every single point throughout the book I was completely enthralled by the story, I felt like I was actually part of it. I think this book has given me the most amount of pleasure I have ever had from reading, and I LOVE reading!

I would recommend that you do not allow the length of this novel to put you off, in my eyes there is not one word of filler. Instead you get the most beautiful journey in book form that you will ever take. I felt like I have gained and lost friends through the characters of this book. The ending - what a shot in the heart.

I'm stuck now trying to decide to move straight on by reading the follow up of this novel, or to save it to delay the pleasure. But I'm desperate to see what the next book holds!

5 stars for me does not do this book justice, it's just not enough! I wish there was a way that you could add something more, to indicate just how amazing this book is.

Ps I bought this book!

The Scarecrow: A Supernatural Thriller (Solom Book 1)
The Scarecrow: A Supernatural Thriller (Solom Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 5 star Scott Nicholson added to the list!, 22 July 2014
Following the breakdown of a marriage haunted by drugs, and a teenage daughter succumbing to the same, Katy starts a new life for herself and daughter Jazz in Solom. A new marriage to a professor, Gordon and life becomes very scary, very fast.

In this book Scott Nicholson continues to add to his Appalachian storytelling with a fantastically creepy novel. In fact for me, the character Gordon was one of the most horrible characters in a book, and really got under my skin. The fact that Nicholson can write characters that well is what makes his writing so very, very good.

This year I have discovered Nicholson and have already encountered a number of excellent 5 star reads, with this book I have added another to the list.

Worm
Worm

4.0 out of 5 stars Giant killer worms - 100 % pure fun!, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Worm (Kindle Edition)
Having read a lot of reviews regarding this book I don't think I can add much new to this. If you want a B-movie type book about giant killer worms then this is your book! Fast paced, completely irreverent and 100% pure fun. This is a quick sharp hit of a book, you learn nothing of the whys and instead are just dropped straight into the action, no niceties or explanation. Part of me likes this, but I am a stickler for detail and for me this is why the book is 4 star rather than 5 star.

That being said, I still enjoyed this quick read immensely, and recommend for all those who like a creature feature. Tim Curran is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. He seems to have hit the nail that is the horror genre right in the head.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4