Profile for Mrs. E. Green > Reviews

Content by Mrs. E. Green

Mrs. E. Green

Waking The Witch: Number 11 in series (Otherworld)
Waking The Witch: Number 11 in series (Otherworld)
by Kelley Armstrong

2.0 out of 5 stars done in a hurry, 26 Aug 2010
I have read all Of Kelley Armstrong's books and have loved them all. Bar this one. The characters are not given any definition and I truely hate it when authors leave the books on a weak cliff hanger. It just seems a really cheap way to get you to buy the next book. The story was interesting but I spent the majority of the book waiting for "something" to happen, it never really got off the ground.
Savannah is supposed to be a kick ass witch with phenomenal power but again, this is never really explored or exploited.
Overall I just got the impression that this was written in a hurry with a deadline looming, it is much, much shorter than the other books and should, in my opinion, have been marketed as youth fiction. Given the success of her YF trilogy, which I also loved despite being many years away from youth!, this could have been so much better.
Exceptionally disappointing given the 10 previous outstanding successes. I will not be rushing to buy the next installment of this story.

Blood Bound: Mercy Thompson, book 2
Blood Bound: Mercy Thompson, book 2
by Patricia Briggs
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 7.27

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good series, 30 May 2010
I was recommended this series by a friend who, like myself, enjoys supernatural/mystery based novels. Although I was a little apprehensive about *another* werewolf series (being a big fan of Kelley Armstrong) I found it excellent. The character of Mercy is witty, heartwarming and easy to like. The Alpha Adam can be a little much at time but he sets off Mercy's character very well.
An excellent read to anyone who enjoys this type of book. If you have read Kelley Armstrong, Kim Harrison or anyone else of that genre then you will enjoy this series.

Changes: The Dresden Files
Changes: The Dresden Files
by Jim Butcher
Price: 9.78

2.0 out of 5 stars What on earth???, 27 April 2010
I have always loved Dresden, have read every book, own every book and await the release of the newest with almost sweaty anticipation. I ordered this book the minute it was released and pounced on the delivery man when it arrived.
I need not have bothered.
While the opening takes your breath away and the surface story is pretty decent, it is not a patch on the others in the series. I won't ruin the ending for people who are still reading this but prepare to be confused and disappointed. If the rumours that this is indeed the last in the series are true then what a truely diabolical and lazy way to end the best supernatural series of this century.
Who/what/why is the Black Council?
Where did all these sudden family ties come from?
We finally hear from Mouse (and honestly, who doesn't want a Mouse) and he is brilliant, laugh out loud funny but he says some fairly cryptic things that are then just subtly brushed under the carpet and never mentioned again. Arrrgh!
While worth reading,if you have followed Dresden from the start, this is the written version of "Lost" - raises more questions than it answers and leaves you frustrated and bewildered wondering if you have wasted your time following the series from the start.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2010 8:04 AM GMT

The Host
The Host
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: 7.82

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected pleasure., 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Host (Paperback)
I did not think I would like this book. I read the Twilight Saga in a vague hoping of having something to talk to my teenage nieces about. They were good, sweet and fairly innocent. But I don't feel I would have been missing anything if I had never read them.
My sister-in-law (mother of the pre mentioned nieces) gave me The Host, and, as an avid reader, I thought - why not!
WOW! Is all I can say. Waste not one more moment on the Cullen's and switch straight to this. I can fully understand why teenagers have not rated it highly. It is much more mature, intriguing and interesting on deeper levels than the twilight saga. It is still principally a romance, which can be a bit off putting though. Luckily the dry humour of Mel and the innocence of Wanda mixed with the nuttiness of Uncle Jeb more than make up for it.
Some reviews have said it is a bit slow to get started, I didn't find this the case but it is better from about 70 pages in.
Another review said a monster of a book as it is over 600 pages. You will not realise it is this long, once you get involved it will fly by.
Although the character of mel is 20, Wanda is millenia old and it makes it a much more adult read than the Twilight books.
As someone who is (just) legally old enough to be Jacob and Edward's mother! The Twilight books felt they had something missing for an adult reader, although I concede that they are beautifully written for teens. The Host delivers the "something" that Twilight does not.

Apex Zephyr Il Helmet - Red 58-61cm
Apex Zephyr Il Helmet - Red 58-61cm

1.0 out of 5 stars welcome mr big head!, 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: Apex Zephyr II Helmet (Sports)
I bought a lovely British Eagle Bike and, being rather fond of my head the shape it is, decided to buy a helmet. This is a purchase you should make in person. Despite being a "hat person". This helmet made me look like toad from Mario. (a BIG mushroom). It looked even worse than the perm I had in the 80's!
Not for the fashion concious, or even the fashion vaguely aware!
Cheap for more than one reason.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2014 8:09 AM BST

Earshot
Earshot
by Mr David Kitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars A teacher's must., 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: Earshot (Paperback)
Simply superb
Any English teacher of any age group should have one of these. Better yet get your school to purchase a class set.
Excellent poems
helpful activities and worksheets

A Midsummer Night's Dream [DVD] [1999]
A Midsummer Night's Dream [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Kevin Kline
Price: 4.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh so pretty, 22 April 2009
As a huge Shakespeare fan and a GCSE English teacher I can only say that this is the best adaptation i have ever seen (as it is my favourite of his 43 plays I have seen about 25 different adaptations). It is eminently watchable and Stanley Tucci as Puck, Everett as Oberon and Kline as Bottom, act as if they have waited all their lives for these roles.
Five stars. The only negative is that it is set in the Victorian era, which can confuse students, but all the pretty fairies - and the slight hint of seeing Michelle Pffiefers naked bottom - soon makes up for it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2013 12:47 PM BST