Profile for Mark > Reviews

Content by Mark

Mark

Wet Head Water Roulette Game
Wet Head Water Roulette Game

1.0 out of 5 stars A really fun concept - but let down by a poor quality product, 1 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Wet Head Water Roulette Game (Toy)
This game was really good fun at first and worked perfectly for about two weeks, but then it started leaking badly and would no longer hold the water in the top. The little plug stopped became worn out or faulty and the water just went straight through when trying to fill it up, rendering the whole product useless. A shame, because it was good whilst it lasted but was let down its poor quality. For this reason I cannot recommend this product.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any cyclist, 12 April 2015
The Hornit Cycle Horn has a nice sleek shape and is not too large, similar in size to a typical front cycle light. It runs on 2 AAA sized batteries.

It uses flexible rubber attachment straps to attach it to the handle bars, which makes it very quick and easy to fit and remove, which is useful if you want to regularly move it between bikes. The actual button that sounds the horn is separate from the main device and plugs into it with a thin cable, so you can position the button anywhere on your handlebars.

The device has two modes, a 144db shrill horn, and a slightly quieter but still noticeable 120db buzz.

I have only one minor irritation regarding the design: If you forget which mode it is in, the only way to find out is to sound it. It is changed between the 144db mode and the 120db mode by pressing a separate button on the device. If it has been designed with a switch rather than a button, this problem would have been avoided.

Overall though this is an excellent product, and I have never found any alternative which is anywhere near as good. I would highly recommend the Hornit to any cyclist.

Garmin Carrying Case
Garmin Carrying Case
Offered by UK Prime

2.0 out of 5 stars except it not much good for this either as it is the wrong shape, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Garmin Carrying Case (Accessory)
I foolishly did not properly check the dimensions of this carrying case before I ordered it, and it turned out to be much larger than I had expected. It is described as being a carrying case suitable for the Garmin Edge cycle computer, but it is much too large for this and it is also too thin to offer any substantial protection. It is of a size more conducive to holding a larger car sat nav, except it not much good for this either as it is the wrong shape! If you need a carrying case for a Garmin device, there are better generic products available.

Professor Layton and The Curious Village (Nintendo DS)
Professor Layton and The Curious Village (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Nintendo DS game!, 14 Dec. 2008
Although this game was supposedly released around the middle of November, there appears to be some inexplicable supply problem at the moment and copies of it are in sparse supply in the UK. I bought my copy in France where it is readily available and can be bought at the normal price (the same version of the game is used throughout Europe and it is multilingual).

The game follows the story of Professor Layton and his apprentice Luke who are exploring the village of Saint Mystère on a quest to find the Golden Apple, and along the way there are many puzzles to be found around the village, the main purpose of the game being to find and solve as many puzzles as possible.

The adventure game aspect which follows an interesting storyline makes the game much more interesting than a package of stand alone puzzles would be. The characters in the game are portrayed like cartoon characters.

Unlike some games in which if you get stuck on a certain puzzle, your game draws to a frustrating halt and you are unable to progress any further until you have solved it, in Professor Layton and the Curious Village you can leave a puzzle and return to it later, and you don't even have to complete every single puzzle in order to "complete" the game, although it is of course nice to do so.

I found that generally the puzzles were neither too easy nor too difficult, although I think this game best suits a person with a certain level of puzzle solving ability and some fans of tough puzzles may find a lot of them too easy, although there are certainly some tricky ones in there to get the brain cells working. A small number of the puzzles are those annoying "lateral thinking" type rather than the logical reasoning type.

I regret that I rushed through the game and didn't make it last longer - although it took around twelve hours of playing time altogether to complete it, it felt like nowhere near that and it would have been nice to have a game which lasted longer!

One thing I liked was that I found that it was quite easy to work through the storyline, solve puzzles and complete the game without having to resort to looking for tips and walkthrough guides. The only frustration I did have was that having completed the story, there were a few puzzles that I had not managed to find, and I ended up referring to online guides to discover where they were hidden, which would otherwise have taken a lot of boring and tedious poking around to discover them.

All in all, I enjoyed this game very much and it is my favourite Nintendo DS game. I look forward to the next game in the Professor Layton series.

Sony NWA808FB 8GB Video WALKMAN - Black
Sony NWA808FB 8GB Video WALKMAN - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars A music player that you can't put any music on!, 14 May 2007
I was attracted to this device by its smart design; the fact it was smaller than an iPod Nano, its longer battery life and that it is supposedly better in several aspects. Big Mistake.

The SonicStage 4.3 software that came supplied on a disk would not install onto my PC. I tried downloading the program from the internet instead but still experienced considerable difficulties and the process just froze or I got error messages. Eventually I somehow managed to get the software installed onto my PC (although I'm not sure how).

Having installed the software, I found that I could not get the device to connect with the program. Although Windows recognised the music player as a mass data storage device, nothing I did could get it to connect with Sony's own program. I also tried an earlier version of SonicStage in case there was an issue with the latest version, but this did not solve the problem.

The troubleshooting guide on Sony's website offered no useful advice whatsoever.

I tried repeating the whole process again on a different computer but had exactly the same experience. Having given up and resigned myself to the fact that this device was not going to work and I would have to return it, I found that Sony's SonicStage software had corrupted some files on both the PCs I had tried it on and I had to completely rebuild the entire contents of both of them from saved back ups.

I rated this item with one star only because there is no option to give it zero stars; a music player that you can't put any music on and which trashes your PC doesn't deserve any at all.

I can only advise avoiding this item and looking for an alternative. I will not risk purchasing any Sony music players again.