Profile for Christopher John > Reviews

Content by Christopher John

Christopher John "Bridgman" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
ST ADRIAN CO.BROADWAY AND 3RD VINYL LP[SF8100]1970
ST ADRIAN CO.BROADWAY AND 3RD VINYL LP[SF8100]1970

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly completing my collection, 31 Oct. 2013
Even BBC Schools got quite adventurous in the late 1960s and promoted the poetry of this new genre - a breath of fresh air for O-level students struggling with Auden, and his friends, so-called 'modern' poets. I have been collecting all the Liverpool Scene recordings since I cedided to make up my vinyl collection with all those tasty discs I could not afford 4--50 years ago.

Levy's M4GFDBR 3.5-inch Leather Padded Strap - Dark Brown
Levy's M4GFDBR 3.5-inch Leather Padded Strap - Dark Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't scrimp on the accessories, 31 Oct. 2013
If you have a good guitar than give it a good strap and a set of locks. I bought this for a friend with a new instrument and it's nearly as nice as mine - though not quite so thick and padded as my own it's a heavy duty item for long use and long standing sessions. It even matches the guitar colour.

Personalized water flask bottle with carabiner with text Bacon (first name/surname/nickname)
Offered by SHOPZEUS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the right person, 31 Oct. 2013
A pertinent present - I just had to get this for my friend Master Bacon's birthday and he did enjoy my little jest..

HEIRLOON VINYL LP[SF8134]1970
HEIRLOON VINYL LP[SF8134]1970

4.0 out of 5 stars More poetry and song from Liverpool, 31 Oct. 2013
I remember Saturdays off from school when we used to frequent the local record shop to drool over the art on the beautiful sleeves - we couldn't afford the records but we could reproduce the cover designs or use them for inspiration in our art sessions. Liverpool Scene discs were at the top of my list when I decided to start collecting favourite vinyl I could not afford back in the heyday of 1960s and 970s album supremacy.

RECOLLECTIONS LP (VINYL) UK PINK CHARISMA 1972
RECOLLECTIONS LP (VINYL) UK PINK CHARISMA 1972

5.0 out of 5 stars My poet laureate, 31 Oct. 2013
When Roger McGough became poet in residence at Loughborough University he introduced all of these Liverpool poets to us personally and I have shared popcorn with all of them. I love this material and have all of the discs they cut now.

Ibanez PU2 Clip-On Auto Tuner
Ibanez PU2 Clip-On Auto Tuner

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect match, 31 Oct. 2013
Bought to complement a surprisingly good Ibanez electro-acoustic (TCY74 Talman) for a promising youngster on a tight parental budget. The tuner is effective for this and other pre-set instrument tunings (such as bass, ukulele) using string numbers and also fully chromatic over seven octaves for alternative tunings of guitar and a wide range of other instruments. The display is clear and responsive and its use is intuitive. My only criticism is that for me (a concert piano tuner) a tolerance of 0.5 cents (half a hundredth of a semitone) is not tight enough for my ear - I would prefer the 0l1 cents of more recent tuners like TC Electronics' PolyTune (currently a foot pedal but easily shrinkable to clip-on size).

Basket of Light [VINYL]
Basket of Light [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than its reputation, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Basket of Light [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Many Pentangle fans baulk at the electric and compositions, preferring the band's traditional acoustic song renderings but this is a fine album and, if you do like more traditional material, you won't find a better performance than 'Hunting Songn' that does not appear on the band's other discs (save the new 'lost' BBC recordings). Personally, I like it when Jacqui McShee does the folk singer's version of jazz 'scat' using her voice as another band instrument by singing without words. Were her performances a precursor to and an inspiration for Pink Floyd's 'The Great Gig In The Sky?"

Piano Exam Pieces 2013 & 2014, ABRSM Grade 5: Selected from the 2013 & 2014 syllabus (ABRSM Exam Pieces)
by Richard Jones
Edition: Sheet music

1.0 out of 5 stars Toneless meanderings - a bridge too far for many, 20 Sept. 2013
Don't bother with this one - wait for the next or move straight to the more approachable Grade 5 that, though more difficult with longer pieces, is going to be much better understood and played by pupils brought up on a diet of pop music and major/minor rather than natural scales. The only way to master these is a lot of note learning and ignoring the apparently discordant harmonies, wandering meaningless right- and left-hand anti-melodic passages.

Camden '70
Camden '70

5.0 out of 5 stars Heady days of prog, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Camden '70 (Audio CD)
Neil Ardley took the newly-formed Colisseum (created by putting electric instruments in tha hands of jazz musicians) and a scratch band of studio session players and jazz club sidesmen and called it The New Jazz Orchestra. I first saw them in 1968 at The Lanchester Polytechnic, Coventry when they were experimenting with the new idea of plugging all the electric instruments and microphones into one central amplification system with the new 4x12" WEM sp[eaker stacks, one each side of the stage. Chris Farlowe walked in stage, tapped his microphone, listened to the background noise (in those days 'silent' amplification was still a distant dream) and exclaimed "Power!". The band then went on to deliver a blistering full-on set that of which this Camden disc is but a pale shadow but it brings back some great memories and inspiration for me. Of course, I immediately set out to emulate them...

Jim Dunlop Straplock Dual Design Set - Nickel
Jim Dunlop Straplock Dual Design Set - Nickel

5.0 out of 5 stars Straplocks of choice for wide ones, 20 Sept. 2013
I tend to use 3-1/2 to 4" (88-102mm) leather straps that are well-padded 1/4 - 3/8" (6-9mm) thickness and the Jim Dunlop locking system has the right size of button and length of ferrule for these. You can have nickel (duller), chrome (brighter), black or gold to match your guitar's hardware.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18