Profile for Supersnipe > Reviews

Supersnipe "johncarter46"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Bite: The most gripping thriller you will ever read
Bite: The most gripping thriller you will ever read

4.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner for bedtime reading. Definitely a talented writer., 30 Aug 2014
Yes, found it a page-turner for bedtime reading on my new Kindle. Seemed a particularly topical theme (new strain of seemingly incurable malaria) in view of the current epidemic of Ebola sweeping Africa. I liked the switch back and forth between present-day Amsterdam and the Congo of 1992 (as recounted in italics via the female kidnapped heroine). However I agree the criticisms of other reviewers that the Teflon Jack Reacher-type hero (Max) seemed ludicrously invincible, as indeed did the chief baddie who had done the kidnapping and cornered the market in a nasty new strain of mosquitoes. But as an easy-to-read adventure yarn, stretching the bounds of credibility in some of the action sequences - I liked it a lot and my appetite has been whetted to try another of Nick Louth's books..

RoC Soleil Protexion Plus Anti-Brown Spot Fluid with SPF 50 Plus 50 ml
RoC Soleil Protexion Plus Anti-Brown Spot Fluid with SPF 50 Plus 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug 2014
My wife swears by it and uses it as a hand cream, whatever the weather.

Le Bumper Book of Franglais
Le Bumper Book of Franglais
by Miles Kington

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious, a must-read for anyone speaking French at any level., 13 Aug 2014
Absolutely hilarious. read it non-stop between meetings of my U3a intermediate French group and found that it gave me the confidence to speak more fluently by just imagining that I was doing so in the Miles Kington style. In fact for my following week's homework I wrote a piece of imaginary dialogue in the Franglais style recounting a real-life episode from my past when I was working at an AA Townpoint and mistakenly went outside to change a member's wheel - only to be reprimanded later and told that I should have called the breakdown centre and have a patrol sent out..
Based on this book I shall probably back-track and read other Kington collections (once I have reduced the stack of unrelated volumes by my bedside).

Berlin Marco Polo City Map (Marco Polo City Maps)
Berlin Marco Polo City Map (Marco Polo City Maps)
by Marco Polo
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars ... every day for our 6 day visit to this amazing city. Glazed surface would protect from rain (not ..., 13 Aug 2014
Used every day for our 6 day visit to this amazing city. Glazed surface would protect from rain (not that we had any), and sharp creases meant it was always easy to re-fold correctly. Very clear, colourful printing made it easy to find and follow locations and routes. In my view it is a first-class map for a modest price.

Berlin PopOut Map: pop-up city street map of Berlin city centre - folded pocket size travel map with transit map included (Popout Maps)
by PopOut Maps
Edition: Map

3.0 out of 5 stars As other reviewers have commented the pop-out map is only good for the centre of Berlin, 5 July 2014
I was surprised when this arrived as I had not intended to order it! My mouse must have slipped and I didn't check what was in my basket. However as it was so cheap I decided to keep it and ordered my original (and far better) choice of the Marco Polo laminated map for a similar price. As other reviewers have commented the pop-out map is only good for the centre of Berlin, and as everything is so compressed a magnifying glass would be a useful accessory. The origami-type folding mechanism is a bit gimmicky and I do wonder how long it would last after repeated use. However it's cheap enough and can help in the absence of other maps.

Apple A1399 5W USB Power Adapter + Apple MA591G/A Data Cable
Apple A1399 5W USB Power Adapter + Apple MA591G/A Data Cable
Offered by Olympus International Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Far cheaper than buying direct from Apple, 8 Mar 2014
Have had this charger less than 48 hours and so far have used it only once on my I phone 4. It pumped in from 41% to 95% capacity in less than 2 hours without overheating or blowing up, so I assume it's an okay device - only time will tell. This supplier's reputation suggests that it must be a genuine Apple, but how do they undercut the Apple Store so much I wonder? Very good packaging and speedy delivery.

Duracell MN1500 Plus Power AA Size Batteries--Pack of 32
Duracell MN1500 Plus Power AA Size Batteries--Pack of 32

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value pack of batteries, 2 Feb 2014
Needed these in a hurry, so Amazon Prime came to the rescue, at a reasonable price. By trial and error have come to depend on Duracell as giving pretty good performance, although I know that `Which?' has recently rated another brand better in terms of sheer durability, albeit at a price. Funnily enough they also point out that certain German supermarkets' own brand batteries are cheapest per hour to run, but who cares: I love my gold, yellow and black packs!

Colgate Omron Triple Clean 4 Brush Heads
Colgate Omron Triple Clean 4 Brush Heads

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine product at a good price, 2 Feb 2014
Can't get over-enthusiastic about such mundane items, suffice to say that unlike the Chinese clones I once mistakenly purchased via a well-known auction site, these worked perfectly and were provided for a competitive price.

The Auto Biography
The Auto Biography
by Mark Wallington

5.0 out of 5 stars From 1950's Sit-Up-And-Beg Ford Popular to 21st Century Ford Focus: The Golden Age of Motoring, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Auto Biography (Hardcover)
Totally agree with previous reviews that this is a warm, human and often hilarious account of the author's progress through life by reference to the cars he encountered, commencing with the ubiquitous post-war Ford Pop purchased by his father in order to maintain status with the neighbours. His father's obsession with the daily ritual of checking fluid levels and tyre pressures will strike a chord with those who have been driving for 50+ years. Also the mysteries of the insides of AA phone boxes and the famed salute to members, the excitement of seeing a hydro-pneumatic Citroen DS rise for take-off, the exasperation of attempting to join a Motorway for the first time...........and so on, countless amusing stories told in a clear and easy-to-read style.
Fully recommended.

Bissell Sturdy Sweep Floor Cleaner, Blue
Bissell Sturdy Sweep Floor Cleaner, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Very light and easy to use - my wife loves it, 19 Jan 2014
An excellent little machine for giving the carpets a daily once-over. Light and easy to manoeuvre, and picks up bits and pieces very well, leaving the carpet with the pile all fluffed up again. Emptying is a cinch. Excellent value for money. One caveat: assembling the handle in the correct order when first taking out of its compact box should be done with care as there is a correct order - the threaded ends are fractionally different in diameter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4