Profile for Mag Dane > Reviews

The Islands of Chaldea
The Islands of Chaldea
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell, 19 April 2014
Well done to Ursula Jones for finishing this book. It is just what I would have expected. RIP Diana Wynne Jones and thank you for many delightful books over the years. I am a huge fan - I read them , read them aloud to my children, and shall read them to my grandchildren later

Ivanhoe - BBC Mini-Series: 2 Disc Set [1997] (REGION 2) (PAL) [Dutch Import]
Ivanhoe - BBC Mini-Series: 2 Disc Set [1997] (REGION 2) (PAL) [Dutch Import]
Dvd ~ Steven Waddington
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____
Price: 9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 19 April 2014
I loved Ivanhoe as a child, a cracking story, but my boys were never going to wade through Walter Scott!! We used to have VHS tape of this dramatization and they were enthralled. One of them even started researching the crusades after watching it. I am glad to have this reasonably-priced copy, as it brings back fond memories. A young viewer today may have problems with the premise of the story ( because of feminist or racist issues) if they had no previous background knowledge, but the story must be seen in context. It is what it is, and this dramatization is well-done.

King Size Quilt / Duvet Cover & 2 Pillowcases. Reversible Terracotta & Gold
King Size Quilt / Duvet Cover & 2 Pillowcases. Reversible Terracotta & Gold
Offered by Sovereign Textiles
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Terracotta?, 19 April 2014
The quilt cover is of reasonable quality, the service was prompt, and the seller was very helpful and courteous when I e-mailed him. However, I would not call the colour terracotta ( although it was so described on the packaging. ) I would call it tangerine! It is much more orange than I was hoping, and not the colour of the photograph. However, it seems impossible to get the colour I want at the moment ( it is to replace another duvet cover) and it is for a spare room, so I am keeping it anyway

Sonnets, Bonnets and Bennetts: A Literary Quiz Book
Sonnets, Bonnets and Bennetts: A Literary Quiz Book
by James Walton
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 19 April 2014
I enjoyed this book so much that I bought a second copy for the lady who does the Christmas quiz at our local book club. She loved it too! You do of course have to have a certain type of mind to appreciate it ( my husband for instance, wouldn't like it at all!) but I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed things like the radio show "Round Britain Quiz."

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Price: 2.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 19 April 2014
Having enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy, I was hoping for something similar. Unfortunately this book is not in the same league. The writing is very poor - clumsy, repetitive, badly- constructed sentences, and unimaginative, with a limited vocabulary. The characters are unrealised, and the description of the imagined world is minimal. I wondered whether the plot would prove interesting and clever, to warrant the high ratings the book received, but this was not the case.

I know that I am not the target audience for this book, but I have enjoyed ( and could recommend) many books intended for young adults. This book is not one of them!

The Disorderly Knights: The Lymond Chronicles
The Disorderly Knights: The Lymond Chronicles
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, 9 Oct 2013
I have long been an admirer of Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond chronicles, and consider this one to be one of the finest. My paperback copies have fallen apart, so am glad to have the opportunity to repurchase them on kindle.

The Game Of Kings: The Lymond Chronicles
The Game Of Kings: The Lymond Chronicles
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 15 Aug 2013
I am a great fan of all Dorothy Dunnett's work, especially the Lymond chronicles. My well-loved paperbacks have fallen apart, so I'm glad to have the opportunity to repurchase them on Kindle.

The Hungarian (Budapest Moon Book 1)
The Hungarian (Budapest Moon Book 1)
Price: 1.91

1.0 out of 5 stars Micsoda csalódás, 28 Sep 2012
That's Hungarian for What a disappointment! I like gothic romances, and I like reading about Hungary, and many reviewers gave this book five stars, so I bought it for a train journey. The story may or may not be good. I don't know because I could not bear to read beyond the first couple of chapters. The writing is clumsy, the grammar erroneous,the vocabulary limited, and the writer is completely ignorant about the manners and customs of the upper classes during turn-of-the-century Britain. Mistakes and anachronisms abound. When she mis-spells the names of the first two Hungarians we meet - it should be Mátyás and László, not Matthias and Lazlo, I decided to give up. Luckily I have other books on my kindle, or else it would have been a very dull train journey.
As I said before, perhaps the story is good, and if the problems I experienced in reading it don't bother you, then go ahead ! Each to his own. But otherwise, save your money!

The Galliard
The Galliard
by Margaret Irwin
Price: 6.27

5.0 out of 5 stars an old favourite, 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Galliard (Paperback)
I feel obliged to comment on this book, because it has such a low rating. (Each to his own, of course, and the previous reviewer is entitled to their opinion.) I first read this book many years ago, and loved it well. I don't see a problem with the language, unless, like the reviewer from Amazon.com, you have no understanding of vocabulary like "arquebus" or "moss trooper". I have to say that the novel, while mostly historically accurate, is unashamedly romantic, and therefore, would not be to everybody's taste. If you want a serious biography, there are plenty of those about Mary Stewart available; this novel is sub-titled "The love-story of Mary Queen of Scots" and that's exactly what it is! While young, modern readers may not care for the style in which it is written, or the sentiments therein, I, who first read this book at the age of fifteen,have to declare my support for a well-loved old favourite, and confirm my agreement with the comments of the person who replied to the 1*review

The Rise and Fall of the Queen of Suburbia: A Black-Hearted Soap Opera
The Rise and Fall of the Queen of Suburbia: A Black-Hearted Soap Opera
by Sarah May
Price: 6.04

1.0 out of 5 stars a disappointment, 26 Nov 2006
I really did not like this book. I thought it would be amusing and ironical, clever and sharp. It was none of these things. The plot rambled, the characters were all unsympathetic, and there was a disturbing streak of cruelty and nastiness. I only read it through because I was stuck on a train journey. Definitely one to be "charity-shopped" at the first opportunity