Profile for margaret-jean knell > Reviews

Content by margaret-jean ...

margaret-jean knell

Brother Mendel's Perfect Horse: Man and beast in an age of human warfare
Brother Mendel's Perfect Horse: Man and beast in an age of human warfare
by Frank Westerman
Price: 13.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother Mendels Perfect Horse, 8 Jun 2013
For anyone who loves the visual majesty of the Spanish Riding School's horses, and the exuberance of the Lipizzaner running free in a field - this is an essential read to understand how closely we came to losing this breed and the connection between peas and the true breed Lipizzaner horses. Brother Mendel was ridiculed for most of his life because of his beliefs in the structure of the fauna and flora of this planet. He was nearly excommunicated for his attempts to prove the structures that we now call DNA. He carried out his research in secret under the guise of a vegetable garden and applied his knowledge to benefit the world. It is thanks to his perseverance that we can admire these beautiful horses now (despite the breed being threatened with an equine equivalent of ethnic cleansing in many conflicts). A must read for anyone who is interested in horses, DNA. and the beauty of nature at its strongest.

Herbs for Horses (Threshold Picture Guide)
Herbs for Horses (Threshold Picture Guide)
by Jenny Morgan
Price: 5.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Herbs for Horses, 27 May 2013
This booklet is ideal for any owner who is interested in enhancing veterinary treatment with herbs. I would advise that any owner proposing to do this informs the Vet that they intend to do this and discuss it first (the same recommendation as I would give to a human intending to take herbal remedies alongside doctor's prescribed drugs). A good read.

The Lipizzaner (Allen Guides to Horse & Pony Breeds)
The Lipizzaner (Allen Guides to Horse & Pony Breeds)
by Una Harley
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lipizzaner, 27 May 2013
This book is small and initially I was disappointed at the size of it. Then I opened the front cover and started reading and didn't stop until I had finished it. The author has packed this booklet from cover to cover with information which shows the history and exploits of the breed from it's beginnings. The book is not 'dry' by any means, merely written in a language and fashion that is factually correct and devoid of superfluous words. This survival of this breed is surely one of the marvels of modern history. I would suggest that readers would also enjoy Brother Mendel's 'The Perfect Horse'.

The Republic and The Laws (Oxford World's Classics)
The Republic and The Laws (Oxford World's Classics)
by Cicero
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars the Republic and the Laws - Cicero, 27 May 2013
Not read it in depth yet. It clearly is not an easy read unless this subject interests the reader. Am still reading two other books about Rome - but I intend to read this next.

Equine Muscle Magic: A Simple,             Easy-to-Use Guide for Massaging Your Horse.
Equine Muscle Magic: A Simple, Easy-to-Use Guide for Massaging Your Horse.
by Jackie Nairn
Price: 7.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Equine Muscle Magic - J nairn, 27 May 2013
This book is a mini encyclopaedia with diagrams to assist the reader's understanding of what to do. I tried one of the leg massages on myself to help with a knee injury and it works. Look out any of my friends who own horses because (with their horses' permission) I intend to practice the exercises as shown. I have been around animals all my life and I just wish I had read this book when I was younger. I would recommend that ANY person who has a horse should read this book (especially riding schools and hacking centres). Even if the reader does not intend to massage their horse, they might learn why sometimes their 'chargers' can end up sore and stiff as a result of the rider's ignorance. Excellent value for money.

The Twelve Caesars (Penguin Classics)
The Twelve Caesars (Penguin Classics)
by Suetonius
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Suetonious - The 12 Ceasars, 27 May 2013
Brilliant book - often referred to by the historians when presenting factual histories of Rome. The book is a multi purpose in as much as the reader can 'dip into' individual Ceasars to glean specific information, but read the book as a whole in sequence to get the feel of what was going on in Rome. I am reading this book again for the second time in 3 months and I find that each time I read it I discover a new fact that I had glossed over previously. I would recommend this book for all people interested in this period of history. I would also suggest that the reader does not skip the numbered notes (they increase your comprehension of the text if read as you encounter them). I am reading alongside Ceasar's 'The Conquest of Gaul'. I intend to read about The Laws of Rome next

Mercury's Flight: The Story of a Lipizzaner Stallion (Breyer Horse Collection (Quality))
by Annie Wedekind
Price: 4.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Mercury's Flight - The Story of a Lipizzaner Stallion, 27 May 2013
This book is small but it is well written. It is not a hard and fast history of the breed of horse but it is quite interesting. I would suggest that any parent who has a child interested in horses could present this book as a present, although it is not specifically a child's book. It does, however, give the gist of the legendary escapes from extinction that this breed has undergone. Would suggest that this is read alongside Brother Mendel's 'The Perfect Horse' and Una Harley's 'The Lipizzaner'.