Profile for bob > Reviews

Content by bob

bob "ridgy"

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars All very good, or so my son tells me, 18 April 2013
Bought this for my son and his Xbox after he broke his official Xbox headset.
He says its absolutely fine and it seems more sturdy than the other one and price is good.

Test Driven Development (The Addison-Wesley Signature Series)
Test Driven Development (The Addison-Wesley Signature Series)
by Kent Beck

2.0 out of 5 stars Denied 1 star only because it's an interesting idea, 27 Sep 2004
I'm going to list my 3 day old copy in the Used section after I've finished writing this review.
This book is in 4 sections, each of which would be a magazine article for any other author:
1. A tiring, trivial example of TDD strung out over a staggering 80 pages in normal Kent-Beck-six-sentences-per-page style.
2. An overview of JUnit, bizarrely documented in Python. Nothing against Python but what's the point when the aim is to understand JUnit, not get a taster in a new language?
3. An brief overview of Design Patterns
4. An brief overview of Refactoring
There is very little new in this book and even less to help with doing it on a real project.
But wait! Before I'm branded an unthinking curmudgeon it's not all bad; for those who have pondered the vexing issue of how to add a parameter to a method then tucked away on page 190 I found this pearl of wisdom:
1. If the method is an interface, add the parameter to it.
2. Add the parameter to the method
3. Use the compiler to show you the calls that need changing
Well what can I say...eureka? Thanks for that Kent, I'll raise it at my next developer meeting but tell'em I thought of it, they'll think me a genius.
How Addison Wesley can put this book in the same class as Martin Fowler's stuff is a mystery, the Fowler books contain more information in the Preface.