Profile for englandfan > Reviews

The Man Who Hated Football
The Man Who Hated Football
by Will Buckley

1.0 out of 5 stars piercing?, 3 Jun. 2004
I think this may be the first time I've ever seen a novel described as piercing. Still, if it means about as much fun as having a body part pierced then I'd have to agree. This is the most breathtakingly ordinary piece of writing I think I've ever come across. Relentlessly miserable and dreary, it manages to be self-satisfied about really very little. The main character is "a man in crisis". Please. You just want to shake him and tell him to stop wallowing. Doing a job you don't like? Stop doing the job. Living in a horrible place? Move. Why anyone thought this book worth writing or publishing is a mystery to me. Didn't finish it. A fiasco.

No More Buddha, Only Football
No More Buddha, Only Football
by Chris England

5.0 out of 5 stars the definitive WC2002 read, 3 Jun. 2004
I really enjoyed this book - it's amazing how quickly a big football tournament feels like ancient history. Only two years ago England were in a World Cup and Trevor Sinclair was a regular in the side - it seems like aeons ago. The author has a great relaxed attitude to the football and to the experience of travelling around Japan, and the whole thing slips down very easily. I like it that he has a go at Sepp Blatter, and there was a very well-written section about how he is becoming disillusioned with the Premiership and the Champions League. Avoids obvious pitfalls, such as falling in love/hate with hooliganism, and poking fun at the funny foreigners, and all in all the most highly recommended football book I've read in years.

Balham to Bollywood
Balham to Bollywood
by Chris England

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun in the sun, 3 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Balham to Bollywood (Paperback)
We had this book with us in the West Indies - we went for the cricket - and it got passed around enthusiastically in the stand and on the beach. Often you'd hear someone nearby start laughing, and look round and find they had our dog-eared copy in one hand and a glass of beer in the other. Actually we should probably apologise to the author, as he has been done out of I should say at least a dozen sales, but at least he has the consolation of having royally entertained a happy gang of England supporters. This is a unique cricket book, and a must for cricket readers everywhere. Get it and enjoy!