Profile for Bernard Smith > Reviews

Content by Bernard Smith

Bernard Smith (Somewhere, Europe)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but will it replace my old Nikia 8890?, 18 Dec. 2006
I've been a user of a Nokia 8890 for nearly the last 5 years, so now finally I was looking for the next statement in GSM phones. People have been pestering me with their ring-tones and their cameras, so I had to find the best reply to them all. I would have loved to go for a more design elegant phone, but they all have very poor to average reviews, so I decided for the K800i. Naturally once you own one you find lots of people have already bought it, or have eliminated in favour of another "better" phone, so whatever happens, when you are over 50 you can't win!

The K800i is certainly a neat device. The overall ergonomics is fine if your approach it as a PDA or PC (not if you approach it as a user of an old GSM phone). I did not need to read the manual and I've picked up most of the basic features. The photo part is on paper top class, but the reality is that you want to use it in odd, unusual places and still today a 3.2-megapixel camera with a poor flash (or if you read the publicity "with autofocus, built-in Xenon flash, image stabilising technology and a splendid new shooting mode called BestPic") is just not good enough, although the colour is quite bright and realistic and I like the auto feature of the flash. But I don't like the delay between pressing the button and the actual taking of the picture, since often a camera of this type is used to capture a fleeting moment.

The real issues with this phone are (short term I hope) that it does not yet sync with the address book on my Mac and there is no cradle for it for my Mercedes. And personally these weaknesses are not replaced by the wonderful ability to have "hassle-free posting to Google's Blogger service". Anyway it is occupying the same place as my old Nokia (right trouser pocket) but I have had to remove all coins, etc. so as not to scratch the screen. Size and weight are fine, but the sliding camera cover tends to slide back and forth too easily, although I have not yet taken a photo of the insides of my pocket! I don't use the music or games features, so I can't comment on them. More important I'm certainly not convinced that it has the build quality of an old Nokia 8890, but there again I might not keep it for 5 years.

Office Mac Standard 2004
Office Mac Standard 2004
Offered by BitsAndBobs4U

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, what more do you want, 18 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Office Mac Standard 2004 (CD-ROM)
I was a regular user of the PC version of Office, so when I migrated to Mac I bought the same. If we drop all the sales hype, basically it works. I use Word a lot (but mostly its basic functions for writing things such as this review), and Excel and Powerpoint quite a lot, and so far I have never lost a document, nor had any software failures. It works perfectly with OS X, and the update function works fine. I have not tried Project Centre or Entourage, and I'm not a big user of advanced features. So I don't see much difference with the PC version, which is fine by me. One thing that I really like, and need, with this version is the effortless importing of files from older versions of Office. I also embed lots of photos into documents - I only wish the file size would not keep exploding. But it is nice that OS X appears to handle Word files of 50MB with ease, whereas on my old (and slower) PC portable it took for every and sometime bombed out.

The Platinum Collection: Greatest Hits I, II & III
The Platinum Collection: Greatest Hits I, II & III
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars The 3rd disc is a perfect collectors item, 17 Dec. 2006
I only have the 3rd disc in my collection, but what a disc. Except possibly for "The Show Must Go On" this album has 17 masterpieces. The quality of the recording is very good and played through a good stereo system tracks such as "Under Pressure", "Barcelona" and "Another One Bites The Dust" really come in to their own. A Queen compilation is a must for everyone's collection, and this 3rd disc is a perfect choice.

Get Born [EXTRA TRACK]
Get Born [EXTRA TRACK]
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Young and fresh, 17 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Get Born [EXTRA TRACK] (Audio CD)
This is what rock & roll is all about. They have a fresh and dynamic sound, with "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" and "Rollover DJ" standing out. It's nice to hear a group with a bit of bite, rather than the usual 60+'s throwing out another disc (not that I have anything against them either). I love the driving beat that underpins all the tracks.

Feel the Reggae 2 (1992)
Feel the Reggae 2 (1992)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth a place in your collection, 17 Dec. 2006
As with the first album called "Feel the Reggae" this second disc only has one excellent (and it's really excellent) track called "Any Which Way .....Freedom" by Mutabaruka.

Feel the Reggae
Feel the Reggae

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really worth buying, 17 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Feel the Reggae (Audio CD)
Not a very good album but saved by one excellent track "Kingston Town" by the UB40.

Doolittle
Doolittle

1.0 out of 5 stars Gone stale, 17 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Doolittle (Audio CD)
The only track I still have on my nano is Debaser and I only keep it there to remind me how dated this disc is. It was fine when it first came out but the music has gone stale.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2014 8:37 PM BST

Dirty Hits
Dirty Hits

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 17 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Dirty Hits (Audio CD)
Couple of good tracks on this disc with "Jailbird" and "Rocks" but the rest is rather boring. This maybe a generational thing, but as someone going past 50, most of their music sounds recycled. Recycling waste is good, but recycling (often second-rate) music is both boring and a waste of time and money.

Demon Days
Demon Days

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and repetitive, except for "feel good inc.", 17 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Demon Days (Audio CD)
Except for "Feel Good Inc" this disc has little merit. The music is boring and repetitive. The occasion cartoon video is fine but when you have to sit in front of an entire album you are just wasting your time.

Californication
Californication
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of good tracks but the rest is average, 17 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Californication (Audio CD)
I hate to go against the general consensus but there are only 2 really good tracks on this disc: the title song "Californication" and "Scar Tissue". The other tracks are just average and don't merit a place on my play-list nor my nano. This is all the more strange since I like the style of their video clips and I think the band have quite a civilised view of life, but when I'm faced just with their music I get bored and jump to something else.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16