Profile for S. Lovatt > Reviews

Understanding Maths: Fractions (Series of 9): KS2, Years 3 - 6
by Steve Mills
Price: 3.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied customer, 10 Jan 2011
I have purchased a range of these 'Understanding' books and have been very pleased with all of them but especially the maths and literacy books. I have used them with both my daughters to help them understand and re-inforce some of the basic concepts. I have found that both children have enjoyed working through the books(they don't seem like a chore)and have developed in confidence as a result completing them. I like the fact that they teach simple strategies to help the children grasp the concepts. Ones that I have found particularly useful are the books on percentages and fractions (years 5 / 6) and addition / subtraction (year 3). Very good and would recommend.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 29 Dec 2009
Purchased for my 11 year old daughter for Christmas. Very pleased with them. They are a nice size and the burnished finish makes them eye catching when on.

Swatch Ladies Check Pea Silver Dial Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch
Swatch Ladies Check Pea Silver Dial Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Dec 2009
I purchased this item for my daughter for Christmas. The watch looks lovely and she was very pleased with it initially but after only 1 day the cover was scratched. I feel let down by the product (I have had swatch skin watches before and they have lasted really well) and would not recommend purchasing this unless you are going to wear it infrequently.

Church Flowers: The Essential Guide to Arranging Flowers in Church
Church Flowers: The Essential Guide to Arranging Flowers in Church
by Judith Blacklock
Price: 31.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired Flower arrangements, 24 Dec 2009
I bought this book for my sister in law (a vicars wife) for Christmas, although I must admit she nearly didnt get it! I would have bought this book for the pictures alone, which are not only beautiful but show what can be done with a little imagination. I have not made any of the arrangements myself (yes, I did have to wrap it up eventually) but the guidance looked clear and simple to follow and covered a wide range of situations where unusual as well as traditional flower arrangements may be needed. I especially liked the arrangements done using fruits / vegetables which show what can be done with colour and a little creativity. Overall a beautiful book and one that you wont regret buying...

Three Girls and Their Brother
Three Girls and Their Brother
by Theresa Rebeck

4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected find, 1 Aug 2009
I picked this up at Darlington station as I needed to while away a boring 2 hour train journey. I was very pleased I did. It is a beautifully written book, taking the reader through the lives of 4 'young adults' (each section written by a different child) as they are propelled through a huge change in their lives. The change almost feels secondary as it is the characters of the people and how they deal with the change that I found most compelling. I was also surprised about how differently I felt about each person when I read the story from their perspective. All in all a lovely book.

Philips GC4340 Azur Premium Steam Iron with Auto Shut Off 2400W
Philips GC4340 Azur Premium Steam Iron with Auto Shut Off 2400W

5.0 out of 5 stars Ironing queen, 22 Sep 2008
Never thought it would come to this - writing a review about an iron, but it has to be done. This iron is great! Good steam, not too heavy and doesnt spit brown gunk and overload our power circuits like the previous ones did. This purchase was against the 'advice' of my mother (the ironing supremo!) but even she likes it! It must be good...

Ladybird Key Words: Bks. 3a-3c & Bks. 4a-4c Set 2 (Key Words Reading Scheme)
Ladybird Key Words: Bks. 3a-3c & Bks. 4a-4c Set 2 (Key Words Reading Scheme)
by W. Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars The good old days, 10 Sep 2008
I have 2 daughters. My elder daughter (now aged 9) learned to read solely from the Oxford Reading Tree (ORT) scheme at school. No extra support from us was required other than listening to her read when the books come home from school. I thought my second daughter would 'pick up' learning to read as easily. However, it was abundantly clear after she started reception that she had difficulty remembering high frequency words and that the phonics did not come naturally to her. I browsed through Amazon and saw that these books came highly recommended so thought I would give them a shot. I purchased both sets (1 - 4)and was quite disappointed when the old 'Peter and Jane' books arrived...not quite what I expected!! However, my daughter and I have persisted with them over the summer(a couple of pages a day) and they have been fantastic. They start very simply 'I like Peter' etc. Key words are repeated over and over again and the vocabulary is built up very slowly. She can now read the book 4's pretty fluently (she is 5). I do not think she would have been anywhere near able to do this had we left it to the school. We still read the school books and they provide more interesting stories & stretch the vocabulary. From my perspective, the ORT does not provide a solid enough foundation for a child who needs lots of repetition. I have also felt more in control of her reading - doing it little and often in a structured way (rather than when the school randomly want to send a book home) and feel that these books have boosted her confidence. Having said this, I would not use them if your child is 'bright' as they can be dull and old fashioned. They have succeeded in getting us over the reading 'barrier' (getting her from a non reader to a reader) albeit for simple books. Finally....the reward came when she started in her new class (Year 1) last week and received a certificate for her great reading. I thank Peter and Jane (and who could forget Pat the dog..who we all like very much.....).

Ravensburger Labyrinth Game
Ravensburger Labyrinth Game
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great all rounder, 31 Oct 2006
This review is from: Ravensburger Labyrinth Game (Toy)
I first played this game when I was an au pair in Germany. The children - 7, 10, 13, 15 and me (22!) all played this game continuously.

I now have 2 children of my own and my 8 year old has loved playing this game since she was about 5/6 years old. It is a fun, quick and simple game to play (20 mins unlike Monopoly!!)aswell a having an educational element to it. It doesn't have the immediate WOW factor of some electronic games or those 'christmas plastic specials' that jam up the your cupboards for years until you finally ditch them on the QT, but in my experience, this game is played time and time again. Definitely a good value game worth buying.