Profile for Rachel Paul. ConsultEast > Reviews

Content by Rachel Paul. C...

Rachel Paul. ConsultEast

The Mentoring Manual: Your Step by Step Guide to Being a Better Mentor
The Mentoring Manual: Your Step by Step Guide to Being a Better Mentor
by Julie Starr

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving from the dark side into the light…, 19 Mar. 2015
Perhaps like other coaching practitioners I looked at Julie Starr’s 2014 Mentoring Manual with some concern that my admired gutsy ‘say it as it is’ Starr of Brilliant Coaching and other great books was moving over to the dark side…. moving into the realms of increasing dependency and encouraging childlike reliance on powerful benefactors with a campaign to encourage mentoring! As with most unsupported assumptions it wasn’t until I got to the end of the first page that I realized I had believed some dodgy thinking, rather than the facts. This is an excellent read as it not only encourages engagement with key issues needed to make mentoring work; but in reflective practice to encourage the reader to clearly explore when and how mentoring could be the best option.
The accessible style of Starr reaches out to everyone; Hagrid, the mentor to Harry Potter, and other examples connect the reader to the presence in all our lives of a mentor. The qualities of benevolence and respect are carefully explored together with professionalism and accountability. The book held my attention and whetted my appetite to find out more about how, as a coach, mentoring continues to work in shaping our practice both with supervision and in making us even more effective professionals.

Coaching Skills: A Handbook
Coaching Skills: A Handbook
by Jenny Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for every manager and coaching professional!, 10 May 2012
Our ILM Coaching and mentoring certificate students at level 5 and 7 have been devouring the second edition for the past 4 years. This third edition brings to life the focus on relevant practical skills, and sound ideas to consider, when practicing coaching. The tentative and exploratory journey into the impact of neuroscience on coaching, with practical case study illustration and the use of the SCARF model, offers practitioners a much needed illustration of new ways of working to achieve excellence in coaching. We are lucky to have such a generous and empathic coaching diva in our world to give us the explanations and insights needed to entice and stimulate both new and experienced coaches.