Profile for Paul Barnard > Reviews

Content by Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard "P Barnard" (Scunthorpe, Nth Lincs United Kingdom)

You Bring Me Joy
You Bring Me Joy

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good first single, 10 Sep 2012
This review is from: You Bring Me Joy (MP3 Download)
Amilia Lily certainly put the rock chick into x-factor in 2011, so this single was a bit of a surprise to me. Having quite liked her singing style through the competition, I was expecting her to follow in the footsteps of Pink and Kelly Clarkson singing up tempo rock ballards. This song however is a very catchy tune heavily influenced by today's dance music, but don't let that put you off, it's actually a style that really suites her voice, even if it is a pretty random attempt at being down with the kids and contemporary. I do hope though that she sticks with the rock chick approach and doesn't drift too far away from what she does best for the forthcoming album. All in all a very decent first single with a great catchy chorus, so much so I can't get it out of my head!

The Unforgiving (Special Edition)
The Unforgiving (Special Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year? Possibly!, 27 April 2011
Within Temptation never fail to dissapoint, and this is possibly their best and definately most radio friendly album to date. Gone are Sharons operatic vocals and the symphonic rock elements, replaced by streight up rock with a twinge of gothic for good measure. Sharons in my opinion is the best female rock vocalist in the business, fans of Evanescence and Lacuna Coil should definately check out this album. Not a bad track on the whole album, a definate must have album.

TG Cases® New Apple iPad 4, iPad 3 & iPad 2 Premium Folio Black PU Leather Case / Cover / Wallet and Flip Stand With Built-in Magnet For Sleep / Wake Feature + 2 Included Screen Protectors for New Apple iPad 4th Generation (With Retina Display), iPad 3 & iPad 2 - Black.
Offered by nabs

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Case, 1 April 2011
I've been through quite a few cases over the last couple of years with my iPad 1 and if I've learnt anything its that spending lots of dosh doesn't guarentee you a great product. This little beauty of a case fits the iPad 2 perfectly, hugging the device nice and tight with a fold over tongue to prevent the iPad slipping out. Another nice feature is the built in magnetic lock which wakes the iPad 2 when the flap is opened and puts it back to sleep when the flap is closed. The stiching and general appearence of this case is also top notch and comes highly recommended.

A great price too, with two free screen protectors and quick delivery.

April Rain
April Rain

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic gothic rock album, 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
Delain are another Dutch based symphonic rock band founded by the ex-keyboard player from Within Temptation, What makes this band stand out is the exceptional tonal quality and vocal range of Charlotte Wessels. If you are a fan of gothic music and in particular Within Temptation you will love this album.

Delain have released two albums, both of which are very accomplished but I think the later `April Rain' really defines their sound and established them as one of the best current gothic metal artists.

Stand out tracks here are for me the slower tracks `On The Other Side' and `Start Swimming', both of which have a tinge of Caren Carpenter in there... yes I'm that old. Also worth a mention are the tracks `April Rain', `Virtue and Vice' and `Control The Storm' which are a little more up tempo numbers.

Samsung LE32R41BDX 32" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with FREEVIEW
Samsung LE32R41BDX 32" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with FREEVIEW

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV but not without it's faults., 12 Mar 2006
I replaced my Panasonic 28nch Quintrix with this model and on the whole have been very pleased with the results. If you want value for money then look no further. the PC input is brighter and crisper than my 17in TFT and handles my XBox 260 superbly well.
So rather than focus on the good points of which there are many, I'll tell you what I was disapointed with...
1) The picture in picture function is very limited. You can only use it with the PC or HDMI inputs.
2) It takes far too long to change from one channel to another when viewing digital channels (approx 5 secs).
3) No form of PDC which I really miss.
4) Headphone socket is on the rear of the set!!!
Saying that this is the best value for money 32inch LCD on the market. Highly recomended.

Bring It On
Bring It On
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it, you'll like it!!, 16 Jan 2004
This review is from: Bring It On (Audio CD)
I'm sure there are plenty out there who like me were hooked on Fame Academy last year. Alistair may not have been your favourite but I don't think we could deny the guy has an ear for a good tune. With that in mind I'm sure your wondering if this album is any good or just another one of those reality tv albums with no substance! Well I have to tell you that this album will turn a few heads and I'm sure before long Alistair Griffin will be a household name.
The album is laden with catchy hooks and choruses, fusing rock and pop in a way that appeals to both young and old. Songs such as Oblivion and Painkiller are classic soft rock anthems, destined to be etched in our head in the not too distant future. Songs such as Feeling Alive, You and Me and Real World are excelent thought provoking balads which aren't overly slushy! Of the 14 tracks on offer there isn't a bad track amongst them.
If I have a fault with this album it's about the inclusion of one or two cover versions which in my mind were not needed. Alistair's songs stand up on their own without the need of a safety net.
If you liked the songs Alistair performed on Fame Academy, you'll love this album. Buy it, you won't regret it.