Profile for Caroline Ayres > Reviews

Content by Caroline Ayres

Caroline Ayres (Southampton, England)

The Ghost Writer
The Ghost Writer
by John Harwood

2.0 out of 5 stars It promised to be so much more..., 10 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Ghost Writer (Paperback)
Firstly, the positive: This is a well written book with an unusual format, that is, the stories within a story. I think it was quite an accomplishment on the author's part to create several intricate tales within the main body of the text and I was generally interested in reading on. However, I was not compelled to. Sometimes, the book was just overly intricate and I found myself having to work too hard to remember what had happened, where particular characters fitted in and utterly failing in imagining the house, despite the lengthy descriptive text. In the end, i was just lost.
Which leads me to the end of the book. By part three, my interest had been ignited and I really thought that all I was promised by the reviews on the cover were going to be fulfilled. Unfortunately, I was wrong. It was utterly unsatisfactory and, dare I say, lazy? A huge disappointment.

The Witch's Trinity
The Witch's Trinity
by Erika Mailman

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, but it won't set you on fire!, 5 July 2009
This review is from: The Witch's Trinity (Hardcover)
I obviously didn't expect this book to be a light-hearted read, but I did still struggle with the darkness and desperation of it all. It's well written, if slightly repetitive in its primitive notions of life at that time - i got a little bit tired of the term 'rutting' which seemed to be included at every given opportunity! However, I warmed to it more as the story developed and was glad I persevered with it, although by no means would I describe it as a gripping read.
Incidentally, I really enjoyed reading about Erika Mailman's ancestor who had been accused of witchcraft within the Author's Note at the back of the book and in many ways I wonder if it might have made a more interesting story than the one written...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2011 10:57 AM BST

The Counterfeit Guest: Number 2 in series (Mary Finch)
The Counterfeit Guest: Number 2 in series (Mary Finch)
by Rose Melikan

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it, another great book!, 20 Jun 2009
I was greatly looking forward to reading The Counterfeit Guest after enjoying The Blackstone Key so much, but there is always a risk with a sequel that it will be a disappointment. I am happy to say that this was not the case with Rose Melikan's second Mary Finch adventure. The story was gripping and on a credibly different tack to the first, while the writing continued to be an enjoyable flow of historical fact and thrilling, amusing narrative. The author once again engages the reader with ease and has created another compelling novel that I will most definitely recommend to others. Well worth the wait!

The Blackstone Key: Number 1 in series (Mary Finch)
The Blackstone Key: Number 1 in series (Mary Finch)
by Rose Melikan

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 20 Jun 2009
I loved this book! Once I started reading it I found it difficult to put down and could not wait to return to it - a sure sign of a book worth recommending. It's both suspenseful and funny, very well written and with great characters. Rose Melikan writes with ease and the reader feels completely comfortable in the historical period, so much so that I think it is easy to forget that she is a twenty first century author. In summary, if you like a well written and well researched historical novel that will have you hooked from the beginning, read this book - I really do not think you will be disappointed.