Profile for Ben Saunders > Reviews

Content by Ben Saunders

Ben Saunders (Stirling, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scholl Active Everyday Insoles Gel for Women
Scholl Active Everyday Insoles Gel for Women
Offered by Chemist 4 U

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but they are good, 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had some of the men’s version of these for myself and was sufficiently impressed that I ordered a pair of these for my girlfriend. She also found them very useful. They helped her slightly too large size 7 shoes fit better and made them more comfortable to walk in, though she did have to take the original insole out of the shoes to get them to fit. They’re not amazing enough that she wants these for all of her shoes (thankfully!). I suppose you could transfer them from one pair to another depending on what you’re wearing, but neither of us have bothered with this. Like mine, they were a bit tricky to cut to shape (I had to use a knife rather than scissors), but we both agree that they’re probably the best insoles we’ve ever used.

Geemarc Corded Telephone - Apollo10 Black/Grey- UK Version
Geemarc Corded Telephone - Apollo10 Black/Grey- UK Version

4.0 out of 5 stars No frills, but does the job, 2 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is, obviously, a rather cheap and basic phone. In fact, it’s even more cheap and basic than the old Binatone one that I bought it to replace. I ordered it largely because the handset we had been using only just has a long enough cable to stretch from my bedside cabinet (where it lives) to the phone socket on my partner’s side of the bed. I had hoped that this would have a longer cable and not be as stretched, but in fact it was shorter and wouldn’t reach at all. No joy there then.

Thankfully, we’ve still found some use for it as a downstairs phone. The only other socket in the house is rather oddly situated next to the front door – there’s hardly space for a larger phone there, let alone a table, but this small handset fits fine balanced on top of the Amazon box that it came in! (It could also be wall mounted, but since we’re in a rented house I’m not going to bother.)

The buttons are large and might suit someone with poor eyesight or manual dexterity. They do feel a bit cheap, but that’s only to be expected at this price bracket. There’s the ability to store some numbers in memory but I haven’t used that as this is for incoming calls only at present. The sound quality is fine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2015 1:25 PM BST

Igenix IG8010 Single Hotplate 1,500 W - White
Igenix IG8010 Single Hotplate 1,500 W - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent as a back-up, 2 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this mainly as a useful back-up, rather than as our main hob or for camping trips, though I’d imagine that it could be useful for the latter (assuming you have a power supply).

We’re used to cooking on a gas cooker these days, so in comparison this takes quite a while to warm up – and to cool again afterwards – but it’s no worse than similar electric hobs that I’ve used in the past. If, like us, you frequently cook a big pan of soup, stew, etc and eat two or even three helpings, this is actually quite useful as the hob can continue to keep the pan warm even after it’s turned off. In fact, though we haven’t tried it, I’d imagine that you could even place the hob on your dining table to keep a large dish warm there – though I’d suggest a heatproof mat underneath, since the whole unit does get warm.

As it happens, our cooker has been playing up lately, so we’ve been using this a few times not only for review purposes. With a working cooker, I imagine it will go to the back of the cupboard again, but we’re currently looking to buy a house and I expect this will come in handy again if we’re without a cooker for a while.

ByteStor Pro 16GB 45Mbps Class 10 High Speed SDHC Card
ByteStor Pro 16GB 45Mbps Class 10 High Speed SDHC Card

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work with my camera, 17 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I regularly borrow my girlfriend's digital camera (a Nikon E3200) but, since she only has a 128MB SD card, capacity is often a problem and I have to be quick to transfer my pictures to my computer. I hoped that this would solve the problem. Before ordering, we checked the product details to see whether it was compatible, but couldn't see any information about what it does and does not work with. Other reviews suggested it worked with other Nikon models, while the product blurb says "Any Digital SLR camera will perform better with the use of an UltimaPro SDHC Class 10", so we went ahead. It arrived promptly and in minimalistic packaging, but when I tried it in the camera I just got an error message saying that the card wouldn't work with my (girlfriend's) camera. Perhaps, if it works, it's great but this isn't much help if it doesn't.

Breville Colour Notes 4-Slice Toaster - Cream
Breville Colour Notes 4-Slice Toaster - Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than our old toaster, 15 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Previously we only had a two-slice toaster, which is fine for a snack, but not really enough if my girlfriend and I wanted beans on toast or similar for lunch – doing two slices for her and four for me would mean three separate rounds of toasting and, of course, the first lot of toast would be cold by the time the third was done.

This toaster can take up to four slices, which is enough for my lunch. It has two levers, so you can also do just two slices without having the whole thing on. If you want either one or three slices, however, then there is some wasted heat from the empty slot being on.

Aside from the extra capacity, this has a number of other advantages over our old (cheaper) toaster. You can lift the bread out to view it without interrupting the toasting. While this isn’t quite as good as the transparent toaster that the in-laws have, it’s still better than having to use the cancel button (because then your toast will invariably get burned if you have to push it down again). It also has a button for toasting frozen bread (which, if I understand correctly, means it toasts for longer but at a slightly lower temperature). We’ve not had it long enough that it’s needed a clean yet, but the crumb trays come out of the bottom easily enough and should help to remove the worst of the debris.

The only point I don’t like really is that, although the front and back are cream, most of the device is actually metal (chrome?) and this does get hot when toasting. I would have preferred it better cased to avoid danger of accidental burns, but this shouldn’t be a problem if you use it carefully and according to the instructions.

Scholl Active Everyday Insoles Gel for Men
Scholl Active Everyday Insoles Gel for Men

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but good, 15 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First thing to say, though it’s not really about the product itself, is that they were shipped not – as I’d expected – in a small book-size package, but in a box that would have been large enough for a pair of shoes, let alone the insoles. This also meant that they wouldn’t go through my letterbox and Amazon’s courier helpfully left them outside, behind my bin, on collection day. Thankfully, I received them safely, but thought it worth mentioning this for anyway thinking of ordering them.

The insoles themselves are rather unusual. On one side they look like regular insoles, but the other side (the bottom) is made from some squidgy plastic gel. They rather remind of me gummy sweets. Unless you’re size 13, you have to trim a bit off the end to fit them in your shoe. This wasn’t straightforward, because the guidance isn’t entirely clear and also because they proved almost impossible to cut with scissors. I had to resort to a craft knife in the end, but once I’d done that it didn’t prove too difficult.

I got a good seven or so miles of walking in on my first day of trying them. The gel felt slightly odd underfoot on occasion, but it wasn’t like walking around with jelly on my feet, as I’d feared. I was a little achy after my walk, but my feet felt absolutely fine. Obviously, I’ve yet to give them a more extended test to see how they last (it’s worth noting that the packaging suggests replacing when they show signs of wear – usually after 6 months or so – though I normally keep insoles until they destruct), but my first impressions are very positive. I liked them enough that I ordered some for my girlfriend to try too.

Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Cleanser Powder 990 g (Pack of 3)
Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Cleanser Powder 990 g (Pack of 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Clean, but not easy, 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My partner and I do most of our washing at 30 degrees, using eco wash balls rather than powder (though we do sheets and towels at 60). Though we’re normally happy with the results, I thought it might be worth giving this a try, to kill off any bacteria that might survive the process.

The instructions say to mix a spoon of the powder in to 2 litres of warm water and soak garments for 5 minutes, before putting them through the wash normally. I have to say that this struck me as a lot of effort. Thankfully, our washing machine is next to the utility room sink, but still it makes the whole process of putting laundry on take longer and inevitably results in water dripping all over the floor, and white residue all over the metal sink. (I am tempted to try just putting the powder in the machine, but haven’t done this.)

I should say that I’m pleased enough with the results. When I first tried the powder, it did make a noticeable difference – although this may have been only because I’m not used to the small of cleaning chemicals on our clothes. However, I’m not convinced that it’s worth the extra effort involved: we’ll continue to use up what we have, but I doubt we’ll bother buying any more.

Linksys RE4000W Universal Dual Band N600 Pro Wi-Fi Range Extender (2 x Ethernet, Flexible Placement, Easy Set Up, WPS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly to set up, 13 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We use BT Broadband with one of their Homehubs (number 4, if I remember rightly). We sometimes used to find that this didn’t provide good reception throughout the whole house though, since moving to a smaller house last year, that hadn’t really been a problem anyway. I ordered this primarily with a view to using my laptop in the conservatory, or even garden, once spring/summer arrives, but haven’t yet had chance to try that.

Set up was rather frustrating. The instructions provided are very minimal, so I ended up consulting a number of online guides and reviews before I managed it – though it turned out that part of the problem was the fiddly power button! Once set up, it’s not been a problem. Be warned though that the connection it initially sets up is not secured. I hope this is no longer the case, though I can’t remember exactly what it was I had to do to secure it.

It’s hard to say much about how effective a range booster it is, since we hadn’t been having many problems on that front lately, but we do keep this downstairs (the router being upstairs). It’s handy that we have the option of plugging an Ethernet cable in directly – that would actually have been very useful in our previous house (and before I got my own laptop), since I could have re-sited the router whilst still being able to use my old desktop in the ex-garage conversion.

The one thing I don’t like, though it’s only a small point, is that my laptop now connects automatically to our home network. Since we have a metered connection, I previously set it not to do that, only connecting when I actually want to be connected, but it now keeps over-riding that.

McAfee Internet Security 2015 - 3 PC (PC) [Frustration-Free Packaging]
McAfee Internet Security 2015 - 3 PC (PC) [Frustration-Free Packaging]

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok so far, 13 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had been using Macfee’s Total Protection 2014, without problems, so was happy to stick with them when offered this product. I should say that this is Internet Security, though I’m not really sure of the difference. I’m not interested in various bells and whistles, such as parental controls; I only need anti-virus and site advisor and this product provides those (as did the other).

Having to download the product, rather than having a physical CD, was a bit annoying since we have limited bandwidth, but at least it means you get the latest version right away, rather than needing to install and then update. Installation was relatively pain-free once I’d remembered the password for the Macafee account that I set up last year. I was disappointed, however, that the one-year licence was not added to what remained on my previous subscription – I actually had over a month of the previous subscription still to run, but that was lost (and without warning). Not a huge deal, since I was offered the product free (otherwise, I would have waited), but a little annoying all the same.

My partner and I have each been using the product for several weeks and neither of us have experienced any virus problems or noticeable performance problems due to the anti-virus (which I have experienced with other packages). Obviously it’s hard to say whether the anti-virus has really done anything or not, but it does claim to have blocked and/or quarantined a couple of potentially malicious files. I do wonder whether it may be a little over zealous, since the site advisor warns me about some seemingly innocuous forums, but I guess I’d rather a false positive than a false negative.

Overall, I’m happy so far and would certainly accept the 2016 product if offered – though, if possible, I’d wait for my licence to expire before installing it.

Ultralieve Personal Ultrasound Therapy
Ultralieve Personal Ultrasound Therapy

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to know really..., 23 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My partner and I both suffer from occasional chronic pain – me in my lower back and her in her hand/wrist. While I haven’t tried anything like this before, I thought there wasn’t much to lose from giving it a try.

To be honest, we haven’t really managed to integrate it into our regular schedule, so it only gets occasional use (normally when the pain is bad). I think this is largely because it’s a bit of a faff: you have to be prepared to sit around for at least 10-15 minutes rubbing the head over the affected area (or, if you can’t reach easily, it takes two of you). The power cord could do with being a bit longer, to make it easier to find a suitable position, and the need to use gel (and clean the head afterwards), all makes it too much trouble for regular use (in our experience).

Given this, I can’t really comment on the benefits of regular, sustained use but, based on my somewhat sporadic trials over 6 months or so, it’s by no means a miracle cure but I have sometimes felt better after using it. Of course, this is no scientific test – maybe the affect is largely psychological (making the whole thing effectively a placebo), or maybe it’s just more likely that after any given ‘bad day’ I’d feel somewhat better the next day anyway – but it’s enough that I’m still inclined to give myself a little treatment session from time to time, when my back is sore.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20