Profile for Smokin-Buck > Reviews

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Mark Hamill
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 49.99

2.0 out of 5 stars 'Original' trilogy - If only! Should be title 'the re-edited re-edit of the remix of a story from a long long time ago', 15 Oct 2011
I was tempted to purchase this until I had a look at this on a mate's TV. Transfer looks good, but the various rehashes just make me laugh. And no 'original' versions included! I really liked the original theatrical releases, especially episode IV, but this one always seems to get the grade A butchers treatment. If a film was made 5-10 years ago, then added CGI would not look too far out of place. But they were not and adding CGI to a film made 35 years ago just, well looks comical to say the least. If you have no objection to these constant changes & added bits, then by all means purchase. I wont be though as I've just picked up all 3 2006 double disc DVDs of episodes IV-VI, which include the original theatrical versions [or the closest to them in digital format] from a charity shop for 1 per set. I then transferred all 3 theatrical versions to my computer and put together my own dual layer DVDs. Slightly adjusted the colour, and ensured the films kept their screen ratio [2.35:1] while making the DVDs 16:9 anamorphic. Subtitles had to be repositioned as they were originally placed for 4:3 ratio not 16:9. They play just like any other 2.35:1 ratio DVD with just black bars top & bottom. Now these versions are not HD, but for me they are a pleasure to watch compared to any of the nice'n'shiny added CGI versions.

Greedo does not even shoot, as it was originally, and as it should still be. This was true Solo, a space criminal with a bounty on his head, not about to take any chances on the fact that he may be shot. Get rid of the enemy before they have the chance to shoot you. That was Han's mentality. The various re-edits of this scene takes away this important part of Han's character.

I give the box set 2 stars just for the PQ.

Both Close Encounters & Blade Runner have had various re-edits over the years, but both do include their original theatrical versions in their HiDef releases.

One Thousand Pictures
One Thousand Pictures
Price: 9.29

5.0 out of 5 stars One Thousand Pictures - Vinyl LP, 29 July 2011
This review is from: One Thousand Pictures (Audio CD)
I like this LP more than their first LP. I've had the LP a few months now & still play it from start to finish. I definitely think a few of these tracks would be excellent played live at a summer festival. The vinyl is not the cleanest of pressings though, with a little surface noise, but apart from that, excellent.

Transylvania
Transylvania
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Transylvania (Audio CD)
Also saw them support Dead Weather & I was impressed. Picked up the vinyl of this at the gig. I was not dissapointed. Cannot see this available on vinyl though!! More mature than their previous LP, Golden gate Bridge.

Psychotic Beat [VINYL]
Psychotic Beat [VINYL]
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 60s style that has lots of energy, 22 Jan 2010
This review is from: Psychotic Beat [VINYL] (Vinyl)
If you like your 60s music with itchy guitars and energy, then you'll love this. Not too original, but sounds very fresh and it's a nice change compared to the current run-of-the-mill bands out today. Not as raw as thier first, or as punky, but I still prefer this to their 1st LP (Back On The Streets).

Cateye EL135 Front Light -
Cateye EL135 Front Light -
Offered by Cycle Surgery
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good compact light, 15 Jan 2010
This review is from: Cateye EL135 Front Light - (Misc.)
I've had this light nearly 3 years now & I've had no problems. It gets used about an hour a day cycling down river paths. It is always getting soaked & splattered in mud & I've had none of the water issues mentioned in another review. This light is designed to be seen, not to use to see with on journeys with no street lighting, so if you have very dark journey and need light to see were your going, you may want to choose a light with more power. Very small & lightweight too. I also find the light is easy to knock & switch on when in my bag at work. Still a very good, small & compact bike light.

BACK ON STREETS [VINYL]
BACK ON STREETS [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars 60s Garage/Rock'n'Roll cross 70s Oi/Punk., 11 Jan 2010
This review is from: BACK ON STREETS [VINYL] (Vinyl)
If you want a high energy punk LP with 60s garage/rock'n'roll roots, this LP will not let you down. Not too original though as sounds like their influences, but an excellent blend of styles. Fuzzy, loud & energetic. Recording/production sounds a little lo-fi/old school, but that's punk for you. IMO miles better than most UK bands at the moment.

Horehound [VINYL]
Horehound [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Analogue and Awesome, 14 July 2009
This review is from: Horehound [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This LP sounds so so good on vinyl. The best LP I've heard in a looong looong time. Played this album 3 times already & I haven't even had it 24 hours. Will be buying another just incase I damage/play to death this one. Very phat full sound. A shame new bands dont record in analogue, it sounds so much more natural.

A good mixture of guitars & keyboards, with some excellent vocals & some itchy drumming. More of the same please.