Profile for S. Mathies > Reviews

Content by S. Mathies

S. Mathies

Humanism: A Beginner's Guide (Beginner's Guides)
Humanism: A Beginner's Guide (Beginner's Guides)
by Peter Cave

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction and a good read, 27 May 2009
Humanism is a fascinating topic, and Peter Cave manages to impart a wealth of information in the witty style of an after dinner speech.

Oscar and Lucinda (FF Classics)
Oscar and Lucinda (FF Classics)
by Peter Carey

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, 29 Mar 2009
This book was recommended to me as an example of expertly spliced narrative strands. But I did not find the weaving of the strands successful at all - many of them were too far apart, so I had to go back in the novel to see at which point we had last seen the character.
It annoyed me when I was forced to read yet another basket full of prettily polished details about yet some other minor character who never managed to engage my interest. Dickens makes characters come to life as part of a community that makes up a fictional world - in 'Oscar and Lucinda', there are only single stories of people who happen to meet.
Another thing that put me off was the insistence with which the author dragged George Eliot into the story, making her appear an insensitive prig. I think an author should not do that sort of thing to a writer whose talent is so much superior to his own.